Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Dont know what that other guy was talking about but I have seen many 5C iPhones in London . Guys, girls, old, young! Very popular it would seem...at least as many as iphone 5 or 5S.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
I'm pretty sure it sold more compared to them keeping the iPhone 5 due to its 'newness'.

This. Also, it has a 32GB model, which users previously had to buy the flagship model to get. Presumably, had the 5 been kept, it'd have been limited to 16GB only and then cut to 8GB following the discontinuation of the 4S.

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
I'm a 5s owner but this "5c is a flop" nonsense, especially from so called "mature" tech media sites is embarrassing.

I mean, that Engadget "awards" article is beyond a joke. iPhone 5c worst gadget of 2013? Not a chance. Galaxy Gear anyone?

The tech media only have themselves to blame for being so underwhelmed by the 5c. For months they peddled rumour after rumour hyping up Apple's upcoming "budget phone" and when the 5c came they wrongly attached that rumour to the reality of the 5c and ignored completely what 5c was meant to be.

The c was never meant to stand for cheap, as we all know it was for colour. There was NEVER a budget phone coming, the tech media merely decided that the 5c must be it since it was made of plastic.

The 5c was an alternative to the 5s, for people who wanted a plastic, colourful, yet still relatively powerful device.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
So let me get this straight.

1. When comparing android to iphone spec's do not matter.

2. When comparing 5s to 5c it's all about the spec's.

I don't know how anyone in their right mind could call the 2nd best selling smartphone a flop.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
So let me get this straight.

1. When comparing android to iphone spec's do not matter.

2. When comparing 5s to 5c it's all about the spec's.

I don't know how anyone in their right mind could call the 2nd best selling smartphone a flop.

It doesn't matter insofar that android and iOS are two different OSes which require different resources to run. Apple optimizes the hardware and the software, so they can get away with lesser specs. That's why a dual core A7 chip affords the 5s better speed compared to the S4 running a quad core chip with higher speed on paper.

But when you are comparing iPhones with iPhones, of course when all other things equal, better specs mean better performance. What is debatable is how significant that improvement is, and how future proof the iPhone 5c is. Because going by the current trend of each iphone being entitled to 1 full upgrade and 3 years of diminishing returns, ios8 may not give the iphone 5 and 5c all the new features, and we may even begin to see a performance dip.

The 5c makes perfect sense from a spreadsheet perspective on Apple's side, less so from a customer value POV, IMO.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
It doesn't matter insofar that android and iOS are two different OSes which require different resources to run. Apple optimizes the hardware and the software, so they can get away with lesser specs. That's why a dual core A7 chip affords the 5s better speed compared to the S4 running a quad core chip with higher speed on paper.

But when you are comparing iPhones with iPhones, of course when all other things equal, better specs mean better performance. What is debatable is how significant that improvement is, and how future proof the iPhone 5c is. Because going by the current trend of each iphone being entitled to 1 full upgrade and 3 years of diminishing returns, ios8 may not give the iphone 5 and 5c all the new features, and we may even begin to see a performance dip.

The 5c makes perfect sense from a spreadsheet perspective on Apple's side, less so from a customer value POV, IMO.

I wouldn't recommend an iPhone 5c today, but in the October-December time frame it was just fine.
I agree with your "future proof" argument, but right now performance differences are negligible.

kdarling

macrumors P6
It doesn't matter insofar that android and iOS are two different OSes which require different resources to run. Apple optimizes the hardware and the software, so they can get away with lesser specs.

True, Apple seems to like including as little RAM as possible... sometimes too little... in order to maximize their profits.

However, every major manufacturer works on optimization. E.g.

• HTC and Samsung have units (some in the USA) that optimize and customize Android for their hardware, and vice versa.
  • Motorola put in a sensor coprocessor before Apple did.
  • Samsung put in a secure enclave before Apple did.

If anything, Apple's penchant for internal secrecy and compartmentalization between software and hardware groups, likely means that it misses opportunities for more optimization.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
True, Apple seems to like including as little RAM as possible... sometimes too little... in order to maximize their profits.

• HTC and Samsung have units (some in the USA) that optimize and customize Android for their hardware, and vice versa.

If anything, Apple's penchant for internal secrecy and compartmentalization between software and hardware groups, likely means that it misses opportunities for more optimization.

When you put Samsung and optimization in the same sentence you lose credibility :eek:

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
It's also worth nothing that right now performance wise, at first glance and in UI terms, there is very little between the 5s and the 5c.

I own a 5s, my father in law owns a 5c. I've sat with both and on iOS 7.1 the UI is smooth and fluid on both. Games like Real Racing 3, Asphalt 8, and Infinity Blade 3 are near identical, I couldn't tell the difference apart from lens flare on Infinity Blade 3 thanks to Open GL 3.0 on the 5s.

The only thing I see for myself right now as a 5s owner is longevity. When the 4s came out the iPhone 4 still performed well alongside it for the first year. It wasn't until later iOS updates, iOS 6 and then 7, where we seen the performance drop significantly from iOS 4 and iOS 5. Today the 4s runs iOS 7 extremely well, it's still very smooth and usable but the 4 is showing its age. The same applies to the 5c and 5s, right now there's very little but potential on the 5s's side and until newer software comes and third party developers begin pushing apps that utilise that new A7 chip, we won't see that change.

I just think the way 5c owners are mocked by on here by some 5s owners is quite odd, like it's some form of forum superiority complex. I love my 5s, I cannot imagine using an iPhone without Touch ID now, but the 5c is certainly a great device and a great alternative to the 5s for people who want a different shape, a different feel, and a bit of colour.

It was never meant to be nor intended to be cheap!

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I just think the way 5c owners are mocked by on here by some 5s owners is quite odd, like it's some form of forum superiority complex. I love my 5s, I cannot imagine using an iPhone without Touch ID now, but the 5c is certainly a great device and a great alternative to the 5s for people who want a different shape, a different feel, and a bit of colour.

It was never meant to be nor intended to be cheap!
Agreed. I currently have both the 5c and 5s and I like the feel of the 5c in my hand better (reminiscent of the 3GS and earlier versions). While Apple did lower manufacturing costs compared to the 5, to me, the 5c doesn't feel cheap at all. Really, my only gripe is I wish it came in soft finish, matte black.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008

So much FUD in one post. First, you accuse a for-profit company of making a decision for profit, without any actual evidence that it was the primary factor..

Then, you purposely ignore the difference in degrees, and bring up two tangentially related claims in order to dig at the "Apple did everything first" strawmen.

And then you just make **** up and hide behind the word "likely".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.