Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stagehand

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2010
I would like to use this wireless router both on line and off line, what I mean by that is that some of the gigs I'm on there is no internet access (client does not supply). The purpose for the router is for me to connect to and setup/control a bunch of video systems, most times video village (control) is backstage, this means I set up but, must keep running to the front stage or, run a long cat5 (which only controls 1 product).
I would like to set up my router wirelessly and, park my buns in front of the stage and be able to control/setup all systems from my mac/parallels now, some of my video systems use cat5 connectors and have ip address's and others use usb a/b and have no ip address.
Okay, heres my initial problem, I at home using 2 macbook pro's I can't open the screen (remote management) from one mac to the other because, I am being asked for name/password. I have gone nuts trying to figure out exactly which name/password is being referred to.
If anyone recognizes the pics and knows where the name/pass is coming from and possibly knows how to find and change it, please give me a heads up.
All the best

Attachments

• cindy.png
    cindy.png
    27.3 KB · Views: 163
  • routerlogin.png
    routerlogin.png
    31 KB · Views: 187

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I would like to use this wireless router both on line and off line, what I mean by that is that some of the gigs I'm on there is no internet access (client does not supply). The purpose for the router is for me to connect to and setup/control a bunch of video systems, most times video village (control) is backstage, this means I set up but, must keep running to the front stage or, run a long cat5 (which only controls 1 product).
I would like to set up my router wirelessly and, park my buns in front of the stage and be able to control/setup all systems from my mac/parallels now, some of my video systems use cat5 connectors and have ip address's and others use usb a/b and have no ip address.
Okay, heres my initial problem, I at home using 2 macbook pro's I can't open the screen (remote management) from one mac to the other because, I am being asked for name/password. I have gone nuts trying to figure out exactly which name/password is being referred to.
If anyone recognizes the pics and knows where the name/pass is coming from and possibly knows how to find and change it, please give me a heads up.
All the best

The Screen Sharing prompt is the username for the MacBook Pro and the password. It is case sensitive.

Say your username is John Smith with the password ApPLE you must enter it perfectly in there. As for the second one, it appears to be the credentials to access the router's control panel.

stagehand

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2010
Thanks mate,
The pisser here is that I have used that password, just now when deleting a file from my 2nd hard drive (replaced optical drive w hd) and it worked fine?? It also comes up w a different user name than I use, I guess I'll run over to the mac store at grand central in the a.m. Unless of course it's resolved before then.
Oh, the other pic has been resolved
Once again, thank you Altemose for the response

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Thanks mate,

The pisser here is that I have used that password, just now when deleting a file from my 2nd hard drive (replaced optical drive w hd) and it worked fine?? It also comes up w a different user name than I use, I guess I'll run over to the mac store at grand central in the a.m. Unless of course it's resolved before then.

Oh, the other pic has been resolved

Once again, thank you Altemose for the response

Try using the name of the Home Folder for instance JohnSmith or John and the case sensitive password to log into the account.

stagehand

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2010
You're right, it is the home folder but
a) I don't remember the password
b) I can't seem to find a way of communicating using the N600, and not being asked for that particular password.
Well I have 8 days til my next gig n I just gotta keep on trying
Hey, I appreciate your help, is there a way to give points or ?? for help rec'd?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
You're right, it is the home folder but
a) I don't remember the password
b) I can't seem to find a way of communicating using the N600, and not being asked for that particular password.
Well I have 8 days til my next gig n I just gotta keep on trying
Hey, I appreciate your help, is there a way to give points or ?? for help rec'd?

Go ahead and reset the user password. It is probably fine if both Macs use the same password for simplicity. There is no way around not knowing the password when using Screen Sharing. To do so, simply fire up System Preferences --> Users & Groups.

Something you may have overlooked, is this Netgear capable of doing what you want? Screen Sharing shouldn't be an issue, but any large file copies might.

stagehand

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2010
I am hoping that it will work, all I will be doing is basically running and controlling other products that hold the software that controls them and, as far as the content/video and audio goes they will both be on another machine that I hope to control with this router.
The beach is, to change the password one must enter the old password, so now I gotta find a way around that.
Unless there's someone out there that has another possibility, heyy at this point I'm more than open
You have a g'day mate

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I am hoping that it will work, all I will be doing is basically running and controlling other products that hold the software that controls them and, as far as the content/video and audio goes they will both be on another machine that I hope to control with this router.
The beach is, to change the password one must enter the old password, so now I gotta find a way around that.
Unless there's someone out there that has another possibility, heyy at this point I'm more than open
You have a g'day mate

What OS is it running? Is the admin account you forgot the password to? I believe if you hold CMD R at start up, there is an option to reset the password.

stagehand

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2010
Mtn Lion: Actually it's not the admin acct it's the home acct, fortunately I just found this.
(You can’t change the name of a home folder. If you want to use a different name, you must create a new user account (this requires administrator privileges). You can then move items from your previous home folder to your new home folder if you wish.)
So, I gonna back up everything and then give it a try. Yo, mucho grassy ass
Will give you a heads up when finished

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.