Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Can ipad be damaged if it's kept in a bag with damp swimming and sports kit? If the ipad has a smart case and is also in another protective case.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Yes, the moisture can seep into the iPad. I'd also be concerned about the chorline that would corrode the internal components.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Chlorine is probably the worst chemical substance for all electronic devices...I'd dry it out well using the bag of rice trick and hope that down the line, corrosion won't set in...It can take a while to manifest itself.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Chlorine is probably the worst chemical substance for all electronic devices...I'd dry it out well using the bag of rice trick and hope that down the line, corrosion won't set in...It can take a while to manifest itself.

When I opened the ipad, it seemed dry though. I think the outer case may be waterproof. The liquid contact indicator also hasn't been activated and the inside was dry. Would chlorine still get in?

Last edited:

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
When I opened the ipad, it seemed dry though. I think the outer case may be waterproof. The liquid contact indicator also hasn't been activated and the inside was dry. Would chlorine still get in?
Can one check this? I thought it was internal.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
The sensors are internal and from what I understand there are several. One can be seen with a scope just inside the earphone hole.
Can be seen as a tripping of the sensor? Or can catch the tiniest of glimpses to see that it exists?

My point being, is that I don't think you can tell, like the OP suggests, that the moisture sensors have been tripped or not. Maybe this one isn't, but all the others are, and in that case he would be SOL.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Can be seen as a tripping of the sensor? Or can catch the tiniest of glimpses to see that it exists?

My point being, is that I don't think you can tell, like the OP suggests, that the moisture sensors have been tripped or not. Maybe this one isn't, but all the others are, and in that case he would be SOL.

I did not say the OP could see or has seen the sensors. I can tell you that the Geeks can look inside the earphone jack and see the sensor. I have been at the Apple store and watched them stick a device inside the jack and saw that the sensor had been tripped.:apple:

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
I did not say the OP could see or has seen the sensors. I can tell you that the Geeks can look inside the earphone jack and see the sensor. I have been at the Apple store and watched them stick a device inside the jack and saw that the sensor had been tripped.:apple:
You can see the sensor inside the headphone jack on the iPad Air if you flash a light down it.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
Your OUT!:eek:

Sensor will be pink to red. :mad:

I was trying the Abbott and Costello routine to show how flabbergasted I am over this at this point. "Who's on first?"

Perhaps the fourth time is the charm.

Can you tell if the headphone moisture sensor has been tripped, without opening up the iPad?

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
How about putting the iPad in a large zip lock type bag to keep moisture and chlorine fumes out? You could conversely put your damp swimming or sports in a bag too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.