Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ApplesAOranges

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
I just got a used iMac and it had Snow Leopard disks. I don´t want to install Mavericks, I need to install Mountain Lion. How can I do that?

Can I get the mountain Lion from the App Store? Or is only the newest Mavericks available there? Or do I need the Mountain Lion disks? Are there Mountain Lion disks even in existence? Does Apple sell them? How will I get the latest Mountain Lion updates?

Confused!

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
I just got a used iMac and it had Snow Leopard disks. I don´t want to install Mavericks, I need to install Mountain Lion. How can I do that?

Can I get the mountain Lion from the App Store? Or is only the newest Mavericks available there? Or do I need the Mountain Lion disks? Are there Mountain Lion disks even in existence? Does Apple sell them? How will I get the latest Mountain Lion updates?

Confused!

Neither of which is possible.

You can buy an ML installer from Apple, at a price.

I have no idea why would you want to install ML though, when Mavericks is so much better, given its excellent memory management capabilities.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
You can get ML from the App store, and all updates will be available in Software Update.

But as the user says above, Mavericks is definitely preferred over ML unless you have specific reasons not to upgrade. And Mavericks is free in contrast to ML.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Confused!

If you want Mountain Lion, go here and buy it for $19.99. Apple will email you a code that you redeem in the App Store app to download Mountain Lion.

If your machine can run Mavericks, though, I would just go that route.

ApplesAOranges

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
Certain olders programs I use are not supported in Mavericks, that´s why.

So let me get this straight... I can get the Mavericks FOR FREE from the App Store, but I have to order Mountain Lion disks from Apple Store and pay 19.99$?

Makes sense! :eek::apple::confused::):(:p:apple:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Certain olders programs I use are not supported in Mavericks, that´s why.

So let me get this straight... I can get the Mavericks FOR FREE from the App Store, but I have to order Mountain Lion disks from Apple Store and pay 19.99$?

Makes sense! :eek::apple::confused::):(:p:apple:

You have that correct… Mavericks is free. Prior Mac OS versions are not...

ApplesAOranges

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
There isn't much difference in compatibility requirements between 10.8.x and 10.9.x; are you certain the apps you have won't work?

Yes I´m sure.

By the way, how can you do a clean install of Mavericks if there are no disks?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.