Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last week, Japanese magazine MacFan published alleged schematics for a 4.7-inch and 5.7-inch iPhone 6. French Apple website Nowhereelse.fr, along with graphic designer Martin Hajek, took these schematics one step further and created 3D "iPhone Air" renderings using these blueprints as a guide (Via TechCrunch).

iphone6-air-concept.jpg
These renderings show an ultrathin iPhone 6 that shaves at least 0.5 mm off the width of the current iPhone 5S, which measures 7.6 mm thick. The concept phone features curved edges and rounded buttons that are similar to early iPhone models. Other notable design elements include an edge-to-edge display, matte metal sides and a sapphire glass backing.

The validity of the source drawings are unknown, so these renderings may or may not be representative of the next generation phone Apple is creating. Other iPhone 6 renderings based on earlier rumors imagine the smartphone with an iPod nano-inspired design or a bezel-less, tapered form factor.

Apple is expected to unveil the next-generation iPhone sometime this Fall and may incorporate a larger display possibly made of sapphire, an improved processor and camera upgrades.

Article Link: Renderings Based on Leaked Schematics Show Sapphire Glass-Backed iPhone 6 'Air'

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
The very first sentence of this article is wrong. This is an iPhone 6 render based on alleged iPhone 6c drawings. Chances are the 6 and 6c won't have the exact same shape.

I think the outline around the sides in the drawings that got interpreted as a change in materials (from aluminum to glass) is actually just a way to show where the curve ends, and the 6c is actually supposed to be all plastic.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
apple...

KEEP THE PHONE AS THICK AS THE 4S AND PUT IN A BIGGER BATTERY.

THINNER ≠ BETTER

(yes i know these are renderings)

Davmeister

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2009
London
I would love it to be this thin (and maintain battery life), but I'd be so surprised if they managed the former, let alone the latter.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Analysts will make their predictions based on these unverified specs used for renderings. Even if this renderings are fake, wallstreet will say Apple didn't deliver and drive the stock down after the keynote.

DragoniteD

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2013
Super Ugly

Do not even try round angle on phone-sized device.

It is super ugly...

That is one of the reasons why Samsung sucks.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
This would make sense. We keep hearing about a sapphire based screen, the backing could be the same. Don't like the look though.

PlainviewX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2013
I can't see how that wont have a ton of flex in the pocket. The current 5 and 5s have flex already. As thin as those renders are, I'd be afraid to put that in my pocket.

eiuro

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2013
This looks like the most accurate and realistic direction apple will go in for the iPhone 6. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if this is how it looks when they announce it. I really like this design. We'll see.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
I'd imagine Apple would first move to the new slim bezel and possible rounded edges at a similar thickness of the 5S. Then move to a thinner device like those renderings down the road. That would help them get the more mileage out of the new design.

cere

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2008
Why would Apple spend the sort of money they have on sapphire development and use it on the back of the phone? That makes no sense at all to me.

rjtyork

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
Geez. What I'm really hoping for, and I know its a long shot, is for Apple to make the next iPhone indestructable with sapphire glass, high quality metals, and some kind of water proofing. It would be the iPhone. i for INDESTRUCTABLE!

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
Pretty, but seems almost too thin without some intense new innovations. Great renders though

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Man I wish Apple rumor sites would stop posting Martin Hajek renders as news (or rumors for that matter). This guy has no inside information on Apple's designs. All he does is create computer renders that aren't based in reality (i.e. a physical product that has been engineered and actually works).

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
When do we get to the point when all our stuff is 'thin' enough?

And once we get there, will Apple be out of ideas on how to innovate their designs?

JilzVT

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2010
At some point in the near future, the headphone jack will have to either change or disappear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.