Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Thinking about giving up on the classic and getting an iPod touch for the first time since my 1G I bought in 2007.

Looks like we won't be getting a new touch this year though, so it seems like what's out there now is what will be out there for the next year.

So, given that this device will still be for sale next year when iOS8 comes out, do you think iOS8 will run fine on the 5G, or do you think it will be too old hardware-wise by then given the technology in the 5G is already pretty old? Given that the 4G can't run iOS7, that may suggest the 5G won't be able to run iOS8.

Last edited:

defunct32

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2013
Thinking about giving up on the classic and getting an iPod touch for the first time since my 1G I bought in 2007.

Looks like we won't be getting a new touch this year though, so it seems like what's out there now is what will be out there for the next year.

So, given that this device will still be for sale next year when iOS8 comes out, do you think iOS8 will run fine on the 5G, or do you think it will be too old hardware-wise by then given the technology in the 5G is already pretty old? Given that the 4G can't run iOS7, that may suggest the 5G won't be able to run iOS8.

I think by next year the 5th Gen might become what the 4th Gen has become, outdated? But, pay no attention to me I'm just speculating. ;P although you got me curious does Apple release new iOSes every year? The 7th just came out and I have seen people being concern about iOS 8 already.

SamuraiMinis

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2013
I think iOS 8 will run on the iPod Touch 5, but it will likely feel similar to the 4th gen running iOS 6.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I think iOS 8 will run on the iPod Touch 5, but it will likely feel similar to the 4th gen running iOS 6.

iOS 8 will not be like iOS 6 on the iPod Touch 4G. The iPod Touch 4G has 256MB of ram, this was it's most limited factor. Every other iOS 6 device, except the 3Gs, had at least 512MB of ram. With the iPod Touch 5G and iOS 8, every device will have at least 512MB of ram. Theses devices include the iPhone 4S, iPad 2 (maybe), the iPad 3, iPad Mini, and the iPod Touch 5G. iOS 6 ran better on the iPhone 4 than the iPod Touch 4G, mostly because of the extra ram. With iOS 8, the new baseline for low end devices is spread across at least 4 devices. As opposed to iOS 6's two devices.

hoodedwarbler12

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2012
Tennessee
The iPod touch 5th generation is like the iPhone 4S I think, and since the 4 could run iOS 7 I'm sure the 4S will be able to run iOS 8 and therefore the 5g iTouch too.

SamuraiMinis

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2013
iOS 8 will not be like iOS 6 on the iPod Touch 4G. The iPod Touch 4G has 256MB of ram, this was it's most limited factor. Every other iOS 6 device, except the 3Gs, had at least 512MB of ram. With the iPod Touch 5G and iOS 8, every device will have at least 512MB of ram. Theses devices include the iPhone 4S, iPad 2 (maybe), the iPad 3, iPad Mini, and the iPod Touch 5G. iOS 6 ran better on the iPhone 4 than the iPod Touch 4G, mostly because of the extra ram. With iOS 8, the new baseline for low end devices is spread across at least 4 devices. As opposed to iOS 6's two devices.

I meant similar. I agree that it won't be as bad as the 4th gen was with iOS 6, but it will likely run less smoothly then iOS 7.

You make good points :)

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Here's another theory, Apple may give the iPhone 4S iOS 9. It has the same abilities as the iPad 2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, and the iPod Touch 5G. The iPad Mini, iPad 2, and iPod Touch 5G are currently being sold as new, with a two year old CPU. It's internal components show a large upgrade over the previous A4, but not as big of an upgrade from the A5 to A6. Just like how the 3Gs was a massive upgrade over the iPhone 2G and 3G. Apple may be considering giving the 2011 A5 line another iOS update to iOS 9. Further expanding upon this theory, it may be that the iPhone S models and S model equivalents that are sill being sold, get one year longer update than the preceding non-S models. We can look at the iPhone 5S and it's currently unique 64-bit A7. Having a 64-bit CPU may allow it to get iOS 11 or iOS 12. While the iPhone 5's 32-bit CPU would limit it to iOS9 or iOS 10.

rdy0329

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2012
I'm sure iOS 8 will be supported, they need to transition smoothly to 64 bit so iOS 9 and iOS 10 would do that. A5 is quite a capable processor IMO or iOS is just very frugal. Either way, A5 owners are lucky to say the least.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
Well, the 4S is getting iOS 8 for sure, since Apple will, if they repeat history, announce iOS 8 well before they announce a new iPhone to rid of the 4S and make the 5c the new low end phone. And if the 4S gets it, the iPod touch 5G will too.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA

Who knows how well it will run. In any case, IOS 7 runs great on a Touch 5. Don't be afraid of getting a Touch 5 (it's worth it).

DavidBlack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2013
Somewhere In Apple's HQ ;)

Apple usually supports 3 Operating systems per device.
Let's look at the past iOS Devices and see what OS they were shipped it and the Maximum OS.

iPhones:

• iPhone (Orginal): iOS 1 - 3.1.3
  • iPhone 3G: iOS 2.0 - iOS 4.2.1
  • iPhone 3GS: iOS 3.0 - iOS 6.1.4
  • iPhone 4: iOS 4.0 - Latest release of iOS (At the time of writing)

iPads:
  • iPad 1: iOS 3.2 - iOS 5.1.1
  • iPad 2: iOS 4.3 - Latest release of iOS (At the time of writing)
  • iPad 3: iOS 5.1 - Latest release of iOS (At the time of writing)
  • iPad 4: iOS 6.0.1 - Latest release of iOS (At the time of writing)
  • iPad Mini: iOS 6.0.1 - Latest release of iOS (At the time of writing)

iPod Touches:
  • iPod Touch (Orginal): iOS 1.1 - iOS 3.1.3
  • iPod Touch (2nd gen): iOS 2.1.1 - 4.2.1
  • iPod Touch (3rd gen): iOS 3.1 - iOS 5.1.1
  • iPod Touch (4th gen): iOS 4.1 - iOS 6.1.5

Based on what I seen here I believe the iPod Touch 5g would support iOS 8. Also, I own an iPod Touch 5g and it running iOS 7 pretty well but performance can start to degrade when it runs of RAM. Which is more often than iOS 6 in my experience e.

bpranav99

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2014
I definitely think the iPod touch 5g will get iOS 8. I'm pretty sure it will also run great unlike the iPod touch 4g on iOS 6 because the A5 is dual core processor and is coupled with 512 MB of RAM vs the A4 which was only a single core processor along with only 256 MB of RAM. Also, the graphics chip on the iPod touch 4G was the same on that was in the iPod touch 3G, whereas the 5G uses a completely new and reworked one. In fact, if you're lucky, you might even get iOS 9, albeit a slightly less feature rich version on the iPod touch 5G since the iPhone 4 got iOS 7 (and it works quite well on 7.1!!)...... It's still a great product

Posted from my iPod touch 5g running 7.0.6 (running as smooth as butter!)

SunnyIpod

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2014
NO it is definitely not supported

As i know the every apple product support 3 ios system .
So how ipod touch 5 can be supported ,the starting verson of ipod touch 5 is ios 5,so it's maximum ios version can be upgrade to ios 7 . so it may not be work as ios 8

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
So how ipod touch 5 can be supported ,the starting verson of ipod touch 5 is ios 5,so it's maximum ios version can be upgrade to ios 7 . so it may not be work as ios 8

It will work with IOS 8. The 32/64GB Touch 5 will be upgraded this fall but the 16GB Touch 5 will not be upgraded till fall 2015. Expect the Touch 5 to work with IOS 8 but not IOS 9 in 2015.

Note - The Touch 5 will support IOS 8 but most likely not all the features.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA

The 5th Gen iPod Touch was released alongside the iPhone 5 - which was released with iOS 6, not iOS 5.

Therefore, we can figure that the 5th gen Touch will get iOS 6, 7, and 8.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside

You appear to be overlooking the iPhone 3GS and 4 and iPad 2. All of them got four iOS versions.

bpranav99

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2014
iOS 7 is pretty much unusable on an iPhone 4.

IMO iOS 7 being completely unusable on the iPhone 4 is a huge exaggeration. It might have been slower than iOS 6, but certainly far from unusable..... Also, iOS 7.1 works like a charm on the iP 4 (especially with reduce motion on).

deluxeshredder

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
You must be incredibly impatient then. It runs as well as you could expect 4 year old phone to run a brand new OS, if not better. To put it in to context, it'd be like trying to run Jellybean on a Nexus One.
Android 4.* is generally faster (at least UI-wise) on comparable hardware than iOS 7.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Let's hope the ipad 2 gets ios 8!

It likely won't as it was discontinued before the announcement of iOS 8. Much like the iPod Touch 4 was discontinued about a week before the announcement of iOS 7 and it stopped at iOS 6.

deluxeshredder

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
If you can find me a manufacturer that has supported a single-core phone running a clock of 800MHz up to Jellybean then I salute you.

Updates and bloated skins are the two big issues of Android, but they have nothing to do with the bare OS performance.

There are quite a few devices running Andoid 4.* on ~1 Ghz single-core CPUs.

Espeonia

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2013
Heck, I have a phone with a 600 Mhz processor and 500 MB of ram (LG optimus S) that runs 4.3 very well and 4.4 moderately well, although they're both custom roms.

Yeah, you really won't be finding manufacturers that support older phones. Android tends to run much better on lower-end phones, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.