Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A set of images posted on Chinese microblogging site Weibo (via GforGames) may depict the iPhone 6 under development at Foxconn. Said to be sourced directly from Apple's manufacturing partner, the images show an iPhone with a slim chassis, rounded corners, and a protruding camera lens, similar to the camera in the iPod touch. The device appears to be taller and potentially wider than the existing iPhone 5s.

iphone-6-01.jpg
The design is potentially in line with some leaked facts about the iPhone 6, including the thin size of the device, but the quality of the images makes it difficult to determine the veracity of the iPhone in the picture.

The text is unreadable, and though it is hard to see the phone's flash to glean more information, it appears to have rounded design. Apple introduced a much-improved pill-shaped True Tone dual LED flash with the iPhone 5s and it is unlikely to deviate from that design in the next iPhone.

iphone-6-03.jpg
Schematics are also included in one of the pictures, but do not appear to indicate the size of the device. Apple's next iPhone is said to come in two display sizes, one near 4.7 inches and the other at approximately 5.5 inches.

iphone-6-02.jpg
The front of the device is not depicted, but rumors have indicated the iPhone 6 display could have an edge-to-edge design that does away with bezels. The upcoming phone, which may or may not be depicted in these photos, is also said to include an upgraded processor and an improved camera.

Article Link: Sketchy iPhone 6 Images Said to be Sourced from Foxconn Surface

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
That actually kind of looks more real than all the other stuff we have seen.

EDIT:: Looks like an unpainted iPhone 5(s).

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
This seems fake. Doesn't look like it has true tone flash. Plus, there's plastic and the current iPhone doesn't have plastic on the outside. (Maybe buttons)

Plus, no chamfered edges...

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Why do actual Apple rumors always end up on the 2nd page, while stuff like analyst speculation / lawsuits / amateur renderings / new products from competitors go on the front page?

Of course those aren't guaranteed to be real, but that's kind of what you'd expect from rumors on MacRumors.com...

Edit: This was moved to the front page, you can ignore my comment. Thanks for listening MacRumors!

Last edited:

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
I hope the camera doesn't protrude from the case. For some reason it really bugs me on the iPod.

William Gates

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
This seems fake. Doesn't look like it has true tone flash. Plus, there's plastic and the current iPhone doesn't have plastic on the outside. (Maybe buttons)

Plus, no chamfered edges...

None of what you said can be deduced from the pictures.

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
My crude guesses

iPhone 5s: 4.0
iPhone 6: 4.7

--> 1.175 ratio.

To make all apps instantly compatible:
------------------------------------------
- iPhone 5s: 640 x 1136
- using ratio: 1.175
--> iPhone 6: 752 x 1334
--> iPhone 6: 1504 x 2668 (ultraHD)

:D

wardrip

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2010
Why do actual Apple rumors always end up on the 2nd page, while stuff like analyst speculation / lawsuits / amateur renderings / new products from competitors go on the front page?

That is a really great question. I would like to the the editors of macrumors answer it.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
so the iphone is manufactured on a machine running windows? Steve would not have this...

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
3 Pictures taken of a computer screen showing a word document on what looks to be Word 2003 and as commented by others probably running on an XP machine. I have no clue about the validity, but I certainly hope that our iPhones are not being made in a factory driven by 10 year old computers. That alone is of more concern to me that the plausibility of the photo of a screen being a real iPhone.

Vinamra

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Let the leaks begin!

If this is the real deal, the back is going to remain pretty much the same. Glass pieces on top and bottom with a matt finished aluminium in between. Hmmm, not sure if that will still be interesting for the 3rd generation of that particular design.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012

Of course those aren't guaranteed to be real, but that's kind of what you'd expect from rumors on MacRumors.com...

As a side note, this actually has a lot more chances of being representative of the next iPhone than the renderings currently on the front page. As I pointed out in the very first comment of that article, the artist based himself on iPhone 6c drawings to make his iPhone 6 renders, which is why it doesn't have plastic gaps for radio transparency (which the iPhone 6 would of course need). Not only did you guys not mention that, but you incorrectly said that it was based on iPhone 6 drawings, contradicting your own previous reporting.

Sorry but 9to5Mac is starting to look more and more attractive for Apple rumors. Both in terms of timing and accuracy.

Edit: This was moved to the front page, you can ignore the first part of my comment. Thanks MacRumors!

That is a really great question. I would like to the the editors of macrumors answer it.

I moved the post after reading your comments. I initially did iOS blog because I think the images look a bit off because of the flash, but we're always 100% open to your guys' suggestions and I agree this is probably more interesting than the lawsuit that was at the top of the front page.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.