Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Samsung today announced the UD590, a new 28-inch 4K monitor that will go on sale this April in the US market for $700 (Via Engadget). The UD590 model includes a 28-inch display with 3840 x 2160 resolution, 1 billion (10-bit) colors and 1 millisecond response time, making it suitable for gaming or watching high-action sports or movies.

The UD590 ships with a picture-in-picture feature that allows users to connect two computers to a single monitor and view both desktops side-by-side. This same option provides a single user with the ability to view different content in two separate windows without a drop in resolution.

samsung-ud590.jpg
Samsung's UD590 monitor has a minimalist design with a simple T-stand and color options of silver or black. It features two HDMI ports, one DisplayPort connector and no DVI ports. The UD590 can be pre-ordered now for $699 and will start shipping April 18th.

This is the year of affordable 4K monitors with other manufacturers also selling 28-inch displays with sub-$1000 price tags. Lenovo will start selling the ThinkVision Pro2840m in April for $800, while Asus plans to launch its own $800 28-inch offering in Q2 2014. Announced earlier this year, Dell already is selling the 28-inch 4K P2815Q for under $700 on its website.

For those interested in 1080P monitors, Samsung also announced the SD390 and SD590 models. Both monitors will be available in 23.6 and 27-inch sizes and will feature a combination of HDMI and VGA ports. Pricing will start at $250 for the D390 and $310 for the SD590 when the monitors go on sale later in April.

Article Link: Samsung Launches 28-inch 4K UD590 Monitor for $700

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
TN panel = no buy.

They basically did the same thing as Dell, ASUS and Lenovo. I'd rather pay significantly more to get an IPS panel.

Don't they think there's a market for ~$1,500 IPS 4k 27-28" monitors? I'd rather move up in size from my current 8-year-old 24" monitor, and 32" is too big for my desk and too expensive for my wallet.

thedarkhorse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Canada
Nice to see more 4k options hit the market and this one actually has 60hz (through DP 1.2 only). Though I myself won't be a 4k display buyer until we see an IPS 60hz model for around this price, and I imagine we are at least a year if not 2 out from that.

bootz

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2014
Nice to see more 4k options hit the market and this one actually has 60hz (through DP 1.2 only). Though I myself won't be a 4k display buyer until we see an IPS 60hz model for around this price, and I imagine we are at least a year if not 2 out from that.

Is DP 1.2 the only way to get 4k 60hz on a Mac? If so, I'm guessing the original 2012 MacBook Pro w/ Retina will never be able to output 4k at 60hz to an external monitor due to the lack of DP 1.2? Thanks.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
Don't know exact details, but broadly:

TN = fast response times, crap colour reproduction, poor viewing angles
IPS = slower response times, excellent colour reproduction, good viewing angles.
I'm by no means an expert either, and granted the IPS display in the iMac is pretty fantastic, but I have a display that would be fairly similar in a lot ways but is TN next to it. It's a night and day difference for me. I find the IPS is far superior and likely wouldn't buy another monitor if it weren't IPS.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
TN on a panel this large? No thanks.

This
With TN on a panel this big, the same color on the top, bottom, or sides is going to look very different from the middle. Really horrible tech and shouldn't even be used on these cutting edge 4K resolution monitors.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I had a 20" iMac with a TN panel. When I sold it and got a 20" Dell IPS, I didn't notice much difference. Granted, it's one of those cheaper e-IPS displays so maybe I don't know what I'm missing. I'm not a graphics designer and I play games, so a good refresh rate is more important to me than accurate color reproduction.

A 1080p retina for $250 is damn tempting. What bothers me more than the TN is the anemic ports. VGA and no display port? Seriously, who uses VGA anymore? Then again I almost never connect my MBP to my monitor so maybe it doesn't matter.

Edit: never mind, I totally misread this. The smaller monitors are not retina. Guess I'll be waiting a few more years...

Last edited:

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
This
With TN on a panel this big, the same color on the top, bottom, or sides is going to look very different from the middle. Really horrible tech and shouldn't even be used on these cutting edge 4K resolution monitors.

"This is the year of affordable 4K monitors"

Whatever it takes in the race to the bottom...

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
TN panel = no buy.

They basically did the same thing as Dell, ASUS and Lenovo. I'd rather pay significantly more to get an IPS panel.

Don't they think there's a market for ~$1,500 IPS 4k 27-28" monitors? I'd rather move up in size from my current 8-year-old 24" monitor, and 32" is too big for my desk and too expensive for my wallet.

Yeah, you get what you pay for as usual.

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
When do you guys think a retina iMac is coming? I want a 21.5 inch iMac soon but it would really suck having a non-retina machine for 5 years or so and a retina version coming out a soon after I buy it.

Turner73

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2014
Apple display or what?

I am waiiiitiiiing for APPLE to release their new monitors... wonder if I am waiting in vain?!

ShinySteelRobot

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Upper Left Corner, USA
TN and no Thunderbolt? Fail.

Fail for you perhaps.

There are tons of gamers out there who crave faster-than-IPS response times and who want to play at high resolutions. The fairly affordable price is a bonus. For them this monitor is ideal. I doubt many of them care much about Thunderbolt since most of them probably aren't playing games on Macs.

For programmers this monitor also fits the bill because having lots of crisp text onscreen is important to programmers, but color fidelity usually isn't.

For photographers, UX designers, graphic artists or other creative professionals I wouldn't recommend this monitor. For them, yes, this is a fail.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
Fail for you perhaps.

There are tons of gamers out there who crave faster-than-IPS response times and who want to play at high resolutions. The fairly affordable price is a bonus. For them this monitor is ideal. I doubt many of them care much about Thunderbolt since most of them probably aren't playing games on Macs.

For programmers this monitor also fits the bill because having lots of crisp text onscreen is important to programmers, but color fidelity usually isn't.

For photographers, UX designers, graphic artists or other creative professionals I wouldn't recommend this monitor. For them, yes, this is a fail.
"Programmers" aren't nearly as common as you think anymore. I'm a "software developer" and you have to be ready to do a lot more than just stare a lines of code all day. IPS is a big difference maker for me.

RBR2

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2003
TN panel = no buy.

Obviously they think there is a larger market at this price point. The very unanswered question is just what the benefit to most people will be for using a 4k monitor?

I can see advantages for photographers with high resolution images to process (and the same for the video crowd) and probably some graphic artists, but just how large is the potential market?

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Fail for you perhaps.

Those gamers also crave super-high framerates. Good luck getting those at 4k resolution unless you have that new $3,000 Titan Z GPU Nvidia just announced. And if your budget allows you to buy such expensive GPUs, why would it be so limited when buying a display? After all, a high-end display is a lot more future-proof than a high-end GPU.

I fail to see exactly who is targeted with this kind of display. So far, I'm thinking "those attracted by buzzwords like 4k and low price tags that otherwise don't know a lot about displays".

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Obviously they think there is a larger market at this price point. The very unanswered question is just what the benefit to most people will be for using a 4k monitor?

I can see advantages for photographers with high resolution images to process (and the same for the video crowd) and probably some graphic artists, but just how large is the potential market?

Photographers and graphics artists will be turned off by the poor color accuracy and will rather use a lower-res display with accurate colors.

As I said above, it's also not ideal for gamers on a budget either since running modern games at 4k resolution is so intensive that it requires thousands of dollars worth of GPU which implies you're well, not a gamer on a budget.

The potential market probably just uninformed consumers attracted by buzzwords. I suspect a bunch of kids will buy this for gaming just to realize it's unusable, and will end up setting it at 1080p resolution...

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I'd consider this, but I'd rather pay more for better quality. IPS Thunderbolt 4k display, please, Apple! I'm one of the ones holding off on a Mac Pro until I get an idea whether that's coming or not.

(I also like that Apple's has speakers and camera/mic built in. My aging but low-clutter iMac has spoiled me!)

If IPS turns out to just be out of my price range, then I'd consider the Dell if reviews are good. But for around the same price I'd also consider that 28" Lenovo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.