Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Looks like this could be the real deal! :)

We all know Apple can't use a full aluminum back as they do on their iPod Touch, since the aluminum hinders the antenna reception. Hence why the iPhone 5/5s have glass windows on the back of the phone.

In 2013 however, HTC showed that a full aluminum enclosure could be maintained by using small, plastic antenna gaps in the metal back and side borders of the phone.

The new HTC One M8 shows that antenna design has progressed even further, making it possible to completely remove the plastic gaps in the side of the phone, maintaining only the plastic gaps on the back.

Based on the leaked picture, my guess is that Apple will be using the same antenna design found in the HTC One M8, possibly even further improved. Full aluminum back, with the white antenna bars for antenna reception. Also, these bars are placed just were the 5/5S aluminum/glass borders were placed, hence it shows a natural progression of the iPhone design.

I could be wrong however, and this could be just another fake leak...

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Looks like this could be the real deal! :)

We all know Apple can't use a full aluminum back as they do on their iPod Touch, since the aluminum hinders the antenna reception. Hence why the iPhone 5/5s have glass windows on the back of the phone.

In 2013 however, HTC showed that a full aluminum enclosure could be maintained by using small, plastic antenna gaps in the metal back and side borders of the phone.

The new HTC One M8 shows that antenna design has progressed even further, making it possible to completely remove the plastic gaps in the side of the phone, maintaining only the plastic gaps on the back.

Based on the leaked picture, my guess is that Apple will be using the same antenna design found in the HTC One M8, possibly even further improved. Full aluminum back, with the white antenna bars for antenna reception. Also, these bars are placed just were the 5/5S aluminum/glass borders were placed, hence it shows a natural progression of the iPhone design.

I could be wrong however, and this could be just another fake leak...

So basically you're saying the iPhone 6 will look just like an HTC One. If Apple does that they deserve all the ridicule they'd get for completely ripping off a competitors design.

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
I really wish Apple would stop focusing so much on making every new iPhone design thinner and lighter. Not once have a picked up my 5S and thought "damn, this phone is just too thick and heavy." But I have thought "Ugh, I can't believe my battery is dying already" on quite a few occasions. I was fine with the weight and thickness of the 4/4S and the 5/5S is definitely plenty thin and light. At this point, I would rather Apple keep the thickness the same and give us noticeably better battery life.

Just my 2 cents...

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
So basically you're saying the iPhone 6 will look just like an HTC One. If Apple does that they deserve all the ridicule they'd get for completely ripping off a competitors design.

Does this mean all of us who had to listen to the "you can't patent a rectangle" can now start throwing it back too?

Oh, can we start showing pictures of the iPad mini next to that too?

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
OT: I hope MR sees fit to report on this today: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7910/apples-cyclone-microarchitecture-detailed

If a artist render of what an iPhone 6 might look like is front page worthy, certainly a detailed analysis of the A7 chip is.

Thanks for posting that link. Anand does some seriously deep diving. Very interesting read. Unfortunately, those types of articles don't move the needle with the masses. A shame really.

OT: By mid-summer we will have a leak a day. All will be intentionally blurred to add authenticity.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
I think if with the next 2 years design of iphone 6 and 6s will be not impressive , apple will begin to loose so much people now that htc does a ok design

aro

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2003
Montreal
The schematic drawing can't be real stuff about next iPhone gen for a simple reason. Nobody saw the old connector hole on the right side of the image?

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Johnny Ive's will probably make the iphone 6 look like a small ipad air. Super boring.

The iphone 4 is the most beautiful smartphone design to date imho. I'd love to be amazed again by an iphone design. It would be great if they would make use of a new material, like some sort of satin textured laminated ceramic backed iphone or something. Or machine an entire casing out of a brick of sapphire. But i'm sure a lot of the design has to do with engineering and cost limitations.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I think the iphone 6 is supposed to reinstate the "wow!" factor. I hope it doesn't play it too safe and succeeds.

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
Fuzzy picture, I'm calling it legit. So, double down on secrecy and security eh? :rolleyes:

I hope with larger screens, these phones don't get more fragile. So far, other than the iPhone 3 series, the phones have been pretty solid.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
If i was Tim Cook i would ask my team to come up with 3 different designs for iphone 6 4.7" and post on apple official site and let the PEOPLE VOTE , and the most votes to be the next iphone 6

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
3 Pictures taken of a computer screen showing a word document on what looks to be Word 2003 and as commented by others probably running on an XP machine. I have no clue about the validity, but I certainly hope that our iPhones are not being made in a factory driven by 10 year old computers. That alone is of more concern to me that the plausibility of the photo of a screen being a real iPhone.

What exactly is the concern. All previous iPhones were manufactured on the same factory using the same OS. Now you understand why serious businesses will never use OS/X - they simply can't afford to change OS versions every year (and it's not just money, it's also the need to port/update/validate tons of applications).

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Does this mean all of us who had to listen to the "you can't patent a rectangle" can now start throwing it back too?

Oh, can we start showing pictures of the iPad mini next to that too?

It does look like an iPad shell to me. And that's my guess as to what the next iPhone will look like. I just hope they find some way with the antenna design so it doesn't so closely mimic the HTC One design. Because even if Apple had unibody aluminum chassis before the One, the tech press will have a field day claiming Apple copied HTC.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
If i was Tim Cook i would ask my team to come up with 3 different designs for iphone 6 4.7" and post on apple official site and let the PEOPLE VOTE , and the most votes to be the next iphone 6

This is an iPhone, not a new M&M color.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

So basically you want design by committee? That's certainly something Steve wouldn't have done. :D

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
3 Pictures taken of a computer screen showing a word document on what looks to be Word 2003 and as commented by others probably running on an XP machine. I have no clue about the validity, but I certainly hope that our iPhones are not being made in a factory driven by 10 year old computers. That alone is of more concern to me that the plausibility of the photo of a screen being a real iPhone.

iPhones are made by programs and math. A 10 year old computer has had the time to have the bugs worked out resulting and a stable and refined system.

We could use a less tested newer system and throw caution to the wind, but why?

sixrom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
Another article to mark time while Apple continues to milk sales of their 5 series.

Cali Fornia

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2012
Vienna, Austria
It is possible that Apple might ditch the true tone flash or at least re-design the bulb. They could switch to Xenon. Either way, none of it matters until we get an actual announcement.

The only two reasons I can imagine a round flash are a) on the iPhone C and/or b) they managed to unify the 2 LEDs so that no seperate ones in both colors are necessary

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.