Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cattywampus_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Hi

I am looking for some software I can use to monitor temperatures, CPU frequency (clock speed) and fan RPM for my new Retina Macbook Pro 15".

I was using Bresink's Hardware Monitor software on my old 17" Macbook Pro but when I try and run the software it says it is not compatible with the rMBP.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I ideally would like to see some stats in the menu bar.

Thanks.

Barney63

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Bolton, UK.
iStat Menus puts the data in the menu bar, there is a 14 day trial of it.
iStat Pro is free but goes in your dashboard.

Barney

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Hi

I am looking for some software I can use to monitor temperatures, CPU frequency (clock speed) and fan RPM for my new Retina Macbook Pro 15".

I was using Bresink's Hardware Monitor software on my old 17" Macbook Pro but when I try and run the software it says it is not compatible with the rMBP.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I ideally would like to see some stats in the menu bar.

Thanks.

I suggest you use smcfancontrol (ignore the compatibility warning that pops up in it) and also Intel Power Gadget to monitor processor clock speed.

Both are free.

Cattywampus_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Thanks guys. iStat seems to do the trick. Shame it is not free, but it offers quite a few other features I quite like (calendar clock etc) so don't mind paying :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.