Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone-6-hero-two-sizes.jpg
Apple is set to begin mass production of the 4.7-inch display to be used in the iPhone 6 this May in preparation for the device's general release this fall, according to a new report from Reuters.

Citing supply chain sources, the report also states that the much rumored 5.5-inch version of the iPhone could be delayed due to difficulties with in-cell production technology, and is likely to commence several months after the initial production of the 4.7-inch displays.
Japan Display Inc, Sharp Corp and South Korea's LG Display Co Ltd have all been tapped to make the screens, said the sources, who asked not to be identified.

But due to difficulties with in-cell production technology for the larger 5.5-inch size, one of the sources said, a decision was made to begin mass production with the 4.7-inch version alone.

Production of 5.5-inch screens is expected to start several months later, with the possibility of a shift to a film sensor instead of in-cell technology for that size, the source said.
A report last week from Japanese business newspaper Nikkei stated that the iPhone 6 could launch "as early as September", and will be offered in 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch display sizes. This contrasted a claim from UBS analyst Steve Milunovich, who also said that the 4.7-inch version of the iPhone 6 might be the only model to launch later this year, with a timeframe for the larger 5.5-inch version unclear.

In addition to a larger display, Apple's next-generation iPhone will likely feature a durable, sapphire screen, and a thinner, bezel-free design in addition to expected camera and processor upgrades.

Article Link: Apple to Reportedly Release 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 This Fall, 5.5-Inch Version Delayed

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Can't wait to see what this will actually look like. So far the renderings have all been incredibly boring.

BigBeast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
Alright Apple- time to dig deep and implement the proper workaround so that the 5.5" model can be released alongside its smaller sibling.

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2011
I don't buy the stuff into the production issues at all on the larger model. This is typical Apple. With the 4.7" they catch the first wave of early adopters that want a larger screen. Then a few months later, they release the 5.5" version for another bump in sales. Anybody remember the 'white' iPhone 4S?

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Yeaaa it's going to be delayed, along with the full-size iPad, the TV, the Watch, OSX, Pro Apps, and everything else that'd be worth talking about.

Delayed til Google & Samsung come out with it all first.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Now with the home button and the finger print sensor, I feel like the size of the bezel can't really get that much smaller.

I can't wait to see what Apple will do with the design! I'd probably buy a 4.7" iPhone!

BigBeast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
I don't buy the stuff into the production issues at all on the larger model. This is typical Apple. With the 4.7" they catch the first wave of early adopters that want a larger screen. Then a few months later, they release the 5.5" version for another bump in sales. Anybody remember the 'white' iPhone 4S?

It's not like this information is coming from Apple. It's likely that the information (if truthful) is coming from inside the supply chain- from people that have no need to leak false information in an effort to pad Apple's pockets. And btw, it's not "typical Apple."

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
Man, looks like this 4.7" screen is really happening. I know I'm in the minority but the current form factor is perfect.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
Now with the home button and the finger print sensor, I feel like the size of the bezel can't really get that much smaller.

I can't wait to see what Apple will do with the design! I'd probably buy a 4.7" iPhone!

I was actually thinking the same thing. I also was reading about the concept of having a sapphire screen on the iPhone 6; it suggested it was a sign that touch id would be integrated into the display. If this is true then it'd be great of the home button didn't exist anymore.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Can't wait to see what this will actually look like. So far the renderings have all been incredibly boring.

I sort of liked how a certain sketchy picture looked like they chopped off the back of a 3G in the name of all things thin.

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Probably won't buy one but I'm pretty happy about Apple running these two additional sizes soon. :apple:

MacRumors doesn't participate in April Fools.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
an 4.7" iPhone 6 would be nice BUT only bezel free and more compact than last year Htc One

imandings

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2013
Australia
April Fools guys! Got ya!

Just kidding, I honestly cannot wait for the iPhone 6 to come out! I've been on edge with my iPhone 5, waiting for launch day, as September / October my current contract with my phone provider expires, so I am due for an upgrade then! :D

JerryCards

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2011
Richmond, VA
Apple used to be very good at keep secret. However, for now, it seems 4.7 inch iPhone 6 is certain (It has been confirmed may be around 100 times). Still, I will buy one when it comes out.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I actually think this is a better size. 5,5" would bring it too close to the ipad mini.

I think 4.7" is a better size too, but not for that reason. The difference between this vaporware phone and the mini would still be greater than the difference between the mini and a full size iPad.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
It is rumoured by MacRumors that the rumoured Apple larger phone that is rumoured to be in production, is now rumoured to be delayed even though it's very existence is only a rumour.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
I'm good with that. 5.5-inches is not a practical form factor I believe - not that Apple will ever make a 5.5-inch iPhone. Come on..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.