Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glembis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2014
Hi everybody
I have a question about buying Macbook pro with retina display in USA. I live in Europe and I don´t plan to go to USA for a longer time than 3 months. Will be there any problem? Because iPhones are not recommended to buy in USA when I am from Ireland. I have my friend in America right now. :( Is it worth it to tell him to buy me the laptop?
Thank you very much :eek:

Adam

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
You can buy a Macbook from anywhere in the world and it will work fine in Ireland. You can even get it serviced at a local Apple Store without a problem. The only slight inconvenience is that it will have US cords. But just switch them out with an Irish model and you'll be good.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Hi everybody
I have a question about buying Macbook pro with retina display in USA. I live in Europe and I don´t plan to go to USA for a longer time than 3 months. Will be there any problem? Because iPhones are not recommended to buy in USA when I am from Ireland. I have my friend in America right now. :( Is it worth it to tell him to buy me the laptop?

Adam

Cellular phones require different radios, depending on where in the world you are. The reason they don't recommend US-purchased iPhones in Ireland and Europe is because the cellular bands are not the same. The only issue you'd run into with a MBP is that it would come with the US power cord, and you'd have to either get an adapter or a completely new power supply that works with the outlets there. The adapters are universal as far as voltage goes, but the plugs used in the US are different than what you use in Ireland.

Earl Urly

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2004
Hi everybody

Adam

Buy this World Travel Adapter Kit ($40) at the same time you pick up your Retina MacBook Pro and it'll have the plugs you can swap out of the AC adapter to fit your outlets in good ol' EIRE.

Marty62

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
Berlin formerly London
This has come up a few times lately.

You "might" be ok if your friend dumps the box and puts the MBP in a sleeve.
( then it looks like a used personal laptop )

Otherwise, if checked at the customs you could have a fairly heavy Import duty
and VAT to pay.

For the UK the Max allowed value of goods from Non EU countries is about £390

Any more and you SHOULD declare at customs.

So, just a friendly warning ... it COULD get expensive or you COULD get lucky!!

( I travel a lot but I DON'T work at customs BTW :)

M.

BlueAlison

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2014
Dublin
My mbp that I'm on now is a refurb model from America. My dad went on a business trip there so we bought it on the apple store online a few weeks beforehand and he did in-store pick up. He took it out of the case and put it in a sleeve, then changed the plugs.

Works just the same, only difference is the keyboard (US vs UK) but I adapted with no problems

glembis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2014
thank you very much guys for your answers :) probably I will tell my friend to leave just the box in big luggage and take just the mbp with her to a plane :cool: that should work

nickandre21

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2012
thank you very much guys for your answers :) probably I will tell my friend to leave just the box in big luggage and take just the mbp with her to a plane :cool: that should work

Ive done that twice but i also ensure to load the laptop with data.

DaveTheRave

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
Kinda off topic but I think Apple routers are country specific with different channels not being legal in all countries. Don't buy one in the USA to bring home to Ireland

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Hi everybody

Adam

There shouldn't be any problem with either a rMBP or an iPhone. For the rMBP there's plenty of adapters - I use the Apple product, listed above, and so does my elderly friend. She and my family are from County Cork, and have no issues with the rMBP I own and the MBA she owns. With the Apple adapter, which she and I share, we have no problems (yes, the cheap stuff works too as they're all made in China anyway...).

As for an iPhone, go for it. The LTE coverage in Ireland is pretty much sh*te anyway IMO unless you're in the southern country. The US version of my iPhone 5 and her 5S (both Verizon Wireless devices, unlocked for global use) get us really good speeds in Ireland and NI. I actually get pretty good battery life when I visit the family overseas (my friend and I live in the PNW of the US now - I'm in OR and she's in WA). If I was you, cutting out VAT and the markup would pay for a few years of your existing mobile plan.

I'd at least buy one or two iPhones - mailing them home, of course (the loves at customs at Gatwick and Heathrow can be such fsckers...) - and you could resell them at enough of a markup to pay for a visit! :D

Starshadow

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2012
Hi everybody

Adam

I am in Ireland and my iPhone 5s was bought in the US, works perfectly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.