Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

New details on Razer’s Kazuyo controller have been shared by MacFormat, giving insight on the accessory’s unique features, including fully remappable buttons and a slim hard-shell case design. Although not pictured, the report also suggests that the final version of the controller will come with full-sized analog sticks for enhanced control.

While photos of the accessory were originally leaked last month, the controller appears to have gone through a slight redesign since then, now featuring a more rounded design which appears to surround an iOS device with a more secure fit.

razer_kazuyo_render.png
Furthermore, the report also notes that Razer will ship an accompanying app with its controller that will act as a storefront for compatible games and allow users to tweak various settings, namely button assignments and sensitivity. The app will also be able to act as a unified interface for a user’s purchased games and offer promotions and listings for special deals.

razer_kazuyo_app.png
The Razer Kazuyo will join a growing market of iOS game controllers, which currently includes the SteelSeries Stratus, Logitech PowerShell and MOGA Ace Power, and will soon include Mad Catz’s C.T.R.L.i controller as of later this month.

At the current point in time, multiple games offer iOS 7 controller support, including titles like Rayman Fiesta Run, Bastion, and Asphalt 8: Airborne. Additional developers have also pledged to build controller support into their apps now that hardware is available to consumers, as more iOS games appear to be receiving updates that enable it.

Article Link: New Details on Razer's 'Kazuyo' Controller Reveal Remappable Buttons, Slim Design, Companion App

Lionel Messi

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2013
Barcelona, Spain
No pricing info? It better be less than $60 or else it won't be feasible for all.

Since I already have the money, I don't really care about pricing but this is just because of my interest.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
looks nice but won't be worth it for 5 months, as it doesn't look like it'll fit the new phones.

Ivan0310

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2011
Dallas, TX
Am I missing something here?

Why are so many of these products being designed without analog sticks?

I realize that's an added layer of complexity and cost, but some games would truly benefit from the addition I'm sure.

silvetti

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2011
Poland

I realize that's an added layer of complexity and cost, but some games would truly benefit from the addition I'm sure.

I see no point in a controller without analog sticks.
Until they release a decent one with analog sticks and bluetooth instead of snap in mechanisms I'm staying away from this.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007

I think the key is that only some games would benefit from it. Personally, I mostly play 2D platformer style games so a few buttons is all I need. Prior to 3D games taking off with the N64 and PS1, remember that most consoles didn't have joysticks (the NES, SNES, and Jaguar all lacked them, as did SEGA's early consoles).

m0dest

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2010

This is a really good question.

It looks like Apple's gamepad rules ("Requirements for Games That Support Game Controllers") might be too restrictive. If an iOS game wants to support a thumbstick, the developer has to support all 3 cases: (a) no gamepad, (b) standard gamepad without thumbstick, and (c) extended gamepad with 2 thumbsticks. What would B mean for an FPS that wants to use 2 thumbsticks?

As a side note, I'm antsy for an Apple TV that can play iPhone games using a standalone Bluetooth game controller. Seems like a no-brainer for Apple.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Umm, the top and middle product shots are clearly showing two different controllers. The latter appearing to have the analog nubs.

hybroid

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2010

The second picture shows an analog stick to the final product might indeed.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010

"Although not pictured, the report also suggests that the final version of the controller will come with full-sized analog sticks for enhanced control."

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA

From the article you're replying to:
Although not pictured, the report also suggests that the final version of the controller will come with full-sized analog sticks for enhanced control.
While the top mockup photo doesn't show an analog stick, the one in the middle pretty clearly does, and the bullet points certainly seem to indicate that it'll have a full analog-stick-included layout.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
This is a really good question.

It looks like Apple's gamepad rules ("Requirements for Games That Support Game Controllers") might be too restrictive. If an iOS game wants to support a thumbstick, the developer has to support all 3 cases: (a) no gamepad, (b) standard gamepad without thumbstick, and (c) extended gamepad with 2 thumbsticks.

Seems like a reasonable rule to me. How could Apple allow a game to claim official MFi controller support and then fail on some of them?

Developers need to step up and support both types of controller. I don't blame them for waiting: it's early yet.

What would B mean for an FPS that wants to use 2 thumbsticks?

Probably aiming on the touchscreen and strafing with the D-Pad. Up to the developer to solve: and they should regardless of the rules, if they want to use these controllers as a selling point, and some of them lack sticks.

I wouldn't mind if Apple dictated that ALL controllers MUST have sticks. But I suppose there's a place for thinner, more compact (even always-on?) controller cases. Myself, I'll go for the sticks! As prices drop.

(I'm a little skeptical of super-low-profile analog sticks, but willing to give them a chance.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.