Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

east85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
First off I'm sort of a news junky. I've been working out a nice way to consume news on my iPad and in my experience I've actually managed to develop a nice reading flow that's better than my experience on Mac. If you have a workflow for consuming news feel free to share your favorite applications here!

Before I got my iPad I used Twitter in place of RSS. I would locate news outlets that had tailored information I was interested in, follow them and then put them in their respective lists on Twitter. Naturally when I found out that Flipboard supported Twitter lists I was quite happy, so I've since been using that to keep up with a multitude of niche interests in the news with Flipboard thanks to Twitter.

I also decided to use the Feedly app separately to follow new sources of news and add them to their respective news lists. Feedly excels in being able to locate similar sources to what I'm interested in and helps me discover new content faster than my Twitter feeds. I've found that for discovery Feedly seems to be my go-to app, while Flipboard helped with the overall transition from Mac.

So I got to looking into both services and they both support an app called Pocket. This app allows me to view content offline and directly save from articles from both Flipboard and Feedly with a simple tap. This is really nice when I want to save data or simply have no access to it. Both Pocket and Feedly have night viewing modes on iOS so it's quite nice. My only qualm with Flipboard is it does not have a night viewing mode so it has the potential to be harder on the eyes. In this case though I can save articles to Pocket and read them there.

I've found that pocket does a good job at providing a parsed down reading layout for full articles, but has some trouble with certain sites. Overall it is a quality application. Both Feedly and Flipboard only provide partial articles and a link to the content creators website in some cases. This can be kind of annoying. If there's a particular interest I have that is covered in a news article I'll generally save it to Pocket and transfer it to a notebook of mine in Evernote.

Honorable mentions that I use a little less:
Storehouse - A content creation and consumption app that allows for inline videos, pictures and text in a beautiful layout. Follow authors you enjoy. The application is more of a walled garden, heavy on visual content.
The Wider Image - An app based around content from Photojournalists from Reuters, most articles generate an equal amount of interesting photography and text. You can explore a map and find photojournalism in a certain part of the world. Very nice option.
Drippler - An app that recognizes your device type and provides a feed based on tech articles that may be relevant to you. Comes up with a lot of information on free/new applications and accessories for my iPad. Somewhat annoying that there is no option to open webpages in Safari.

Note: All of these apps have been optimized for iPad.

Last edited:

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
I was a keen user of Google Reader and switched over to Feedly. It's a simple solution, very robust and works well for my needs. I pick and choose when it is convenient to read the news and always being in sync with any desktop, my iPhone and iPad makes it a great choice.

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
Have you looked into Zite?

Zite is/was my favorite app. It was, in the early days, almost like a curated RSS feed that learned. This was great because 1) it got you away from the slow ad-encrusted and javascript-heavy web sites and gave you a clean interface to read news, and 2) it *learned*.

Over time things changed for the worse, I expect because of pressure from some of the web sites who think that people actually look at those ads, or want all that slow clunky javascript. Now that it is has been purchased by Flipboard I consider that its days are numbered. I plan on going back to my own RSS subscriptions while I wait for someone to re-implement the great thing that Zite was in the beginning.

A.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Zite is/was my favorite app. It was, in the early days, almost like a curated RSS feed that learned. This was great because 1) it got you away from the slow ad-encrusted and javascript-heavy web sites and gave you a clean interface to read news, and 2) it *learned*.

Over time things changed for the worse, I expect because of pressure from some of the web sites who think that people actually look at those ads, or want all that slow clunky javascript. Now that it is has been purchased by Flipboard I consider that its days are numbered. I plan on going back to my own RSS subscriptions while I wait for someone to re-implement the great thing that Zite was in the beginning.

A.

I was pretty ticked off also when the purchase was announced. I have been using it for a really long time and still do. But I fear it's days maybe numbered also. But until then I hope it doesn't change. I really really like it!

I have an RSS feed to, and have you noticed Feedly is doing something a little similar with the way they present the information on the first page!

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
have you noticed Feedly is doing something a little similar with the way they present the information on the first page!

No, what is Feedly doing?

(I have never used Feedly, and since their attempt to force everyone to use Google+ last year, I probably never will. I run my own RSS aggregator locally)

A.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
No, what is Feedly doing?

(I have never used Feedly, and since their attempt to force everyone to use Google+ last year, I probably never will. I run my own RSS aggregator locally)

A.

On the home page of Feedly, it now shows the story or stories like the iphone version of zite does with your feeds. You can swipe up for the next story.

Or you can go to the column view to view smaller thumbnail sizes of the stories.

See screen shots

The iPad version has more then one story displayed on the page, these are from my iPhone.

Attachments

• photo 1.PNG
    photo 1.PNG
    165.4 KB · Views: 100
  • photo 2.PNG
    photo 2.PNG
    301.8 KB · Views: 87

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I was pretty ticked off also when the purchase was announced. I have been using it for a really long time and still do. But I fear it's days maybe numbered also. But until then I hope it doesn't change. I really really like it!

Same here. I really liked the ability to completely block some sites from the news stream. I believe I read they are shutting Zite down in six months (this was at the time of the sale).

I too use Feedly for RSS, but have not found a good Zite replacement for casual news browsing. Flipboard drives me nuts with all their goofy Twitter news feeds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.