Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple updated the shipping estimates for its new Mac Pro desktop, with the US store now providing a shipping target of 5 to 6 weeks for new orders with either stock or custom configurations. International stores still report April as an estimated ship date, but these dates are likely to change now that the month has officially started.

mac-pro-shipping.jpg
This is one of several recent changes Apple has made to Mac Pro shipping estimates, with the company showing both March and April shipping targets earlier this year. The change from a monthly window of approximately seven to eight weeks to a weekly window of five to six weeks suggests the company is starting to move toward a balance of supply and demand after the initial buying rush at launch.

We may hear more about the Mac Pro and its supply constraints later this month when Apple announces its earnings for the second fiscal quarter (first calendar quarter) of 2014. Apple will hold its quarterly earnings conference call on April 23 at 5:00 PM Eastern / 2:00 PM Pacific. MacRumors will provide coverage of both the earnings report and conference call at that time.

Article Link: Apple's Mac Pro Shipping Estimates in U.S. Move to 5-6 Weeks

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Apple's handling of this situation is very disappointing.
3 whole months after their 'Shipping announcement' (which already was regrettably late in the year) and they still can't manage better than 5-6 weeks in the country of origin, let alone internationally.

Very disappointing indeed. :(

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
That is a long lead time. Is it because Apple underestimated the demand for the new mac pros and the parts just aren't in the supply chain? Or is there a design or manufacturing issue that we don't know about?

iBungie

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
Still showing April in the UK store for MacPro
This is likely to change in light of this news

Update: now showing 5-6 weeks

Last edited:

DVNIEL

Cancelled
Oct 28, 2003
April Fool's? The article seems off because it makes it sound like this is actually an improvement.

Well, I planned on ordering one today and I'm still going to go through with it. I've waited this long so no need to prolong the break up.

scottwaugh

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Chicago
And people wonder why iPhones and iPads can't be produced in the states...

Why would the location of production have anything to do with what production capacity is?

Seems in the past, production limits were normally component driven with the product having unique components (which the Mac Pro has).

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
And people wonder why iPhones and iPads can't be produced in the states...

This continues to be one of the stranger comments that pops up. Far more complicated things (manufacturing-wise) are made in far greater numbers in the US all the time.

EDIT for clarification:

I am referring to the Mac Pro. I think the jump from one to the other isn't comparable.

Last edited:

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Because we don't have manufacturing plants with thousands of trained workers ready to take on any job and ramp up in a week?

Why would the location of production have anything to do with what production capacity is?

Seems in the past, production limits were normally component driven with the product having unique components (which the Mac Pro has).

We don't have the facilities or workforce to create such assemblies. We've moved away from an assembly line workforce and into more of a service-oriented workforce.

----------

This continues to be one of the stranger comments that pops up. Far more complicated things (manufacturing-wise) are made in far greater numbers in the US all the time.

It's about production capacities, not how complicated a product is.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I'll take any improvement.

I want one bad. I need one bad! The 1850's iMac I'm replacing will not soldier on forever.

But if it's around a full month delayed, I may as well just wait on a (possible) new display. Why buy now if I can't have it now anyway? Better to wait a bit AND get a better display... maybe.

Eventually I will have to cave in.

Or TRY to wait for the second generation. This coming fall/winter?

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC

like? I dont think the US has enough electronic engineers, let alone assembly line workers to fulfill the demands of 30 million iphones+ annually...

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
We already know why production would not be practical in the USA. This is not news.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/b...queezed-middle-class.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Supply chain management:
Technology companies, the cost of labor is minimal compared with the expense of buying parts and managing supply chains that bring together components and services from hundreds of companies.

Factories in Asia “can scale up and down faster” and “Asian supply chains have surpassed what’s in the U.S.” The result is that “we can’t compete at this point,” the executive said.

Apple needs to make a lot of devices to keep up with demand. The US doesn't have anything like a Foxconn. It's unrealistic to think there could be an equivilant production system in the USA that would benefit from the same econonmoes of scale Foxconn realizes.

That’s because nothing like Foxconn City exists in the United States... Foxconn Technology has dozens of facilities in Asia and Eastern Europe, and in Mexico and Brazil, and it assembles an estimated 40 percent of the world’s consumer electronics for customers like Amazon, Dell, Hewlett-Packard, Motorola, Nintendo, Nokia, Samsung and Sony.

Another critical advantage for Apple was that China provided engineers at a scale the United States could not match. Apple’s executives had estimated that about 8,700 industrial engineers were needed to oversee and guide the 200,000 assembly-line workers eventually involved in manufacturing iPhones. The company’s analysts had forecast it would take as long as nine months to find that many qualified engineers in the United States.

In China, it took 15 days.

It's not about price.

But such calculations are, in many respects, meaningless because building the iPhone in the United States would demand much more than hiring Americans — it would require transforming the national and global economies.

From Win to Mac

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2001
Montreal, Canada

Far more complicated things... Yes. I work in Aerospace & Defense.
Far greater numbers... Not really. Low rates, very high price, although that's not directly related to costs. :)

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
I'll take any improvement.

I want one bad. I need one bad! The 1850's iMac I'm replacing will not soldier on forever.

But if it's around a full month delayed, I may as well just wait on a (possible) new display. Why buy now if I can't have it now anyway? Better to wait a bit AND get a better display... maybe.

Eventually I will have to cave in.

Or TRY to wait for the second generation. This coming fall/winter?

It's not an improvement, if they said April yesterday, this is not better! The article summary is incorrect.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
WTF. Absolutely pathetic. Somebody should get fired for this shambles.

Not a great advert for American manufacturing.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
I wonder what Steve would say.

There must be some supply constraint that we just don't know about, I wonder what component is causing the headaches.

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2009
Russellville AR
Not a great advert for Apple, and I'm an unabashed Apple fanboy.

Product announcement last summer; availability announced late in 2013. Orders started in early 2014, and still these delivery timeframe constraints.

As previous posters have noted, Apple either misjudged the market for the MP or there are serious manufacturing challenges they don't care to share with us.

Either way, a product rollout like this is ... well, it's something Microsoft might have done. I expected more from Apple.

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
Sure, but these "far more complicated things" that are produced in the US are produced at facilities that can't ramp production up or down with any speed or in any reasonable time frame. This is a real problem for consumer electronics where demand fluctuates rapidly and a big reason why nobody sane makes electronics in the states.

The inflexibility of US workers, unions, labour laws, etc. may be good for some people and may be OK in industries with steady demand such as cars and airplanes. However, in other ways it really limits the US economy. Its not just that it chased almost all electronics manufacturing overseas, it also is severely constraining sales of successful US products. Take the Tesla for example. They could be selling twice as many but ramping production in the US up to the demand will take two years or more, making the wait for a Mac Pro seem rather brief.

td2243

Cancelled
Mar 14, 2013
Santa Fe, NM
I'm so glad I ordered a refurb iMac. I could have used the extra MP power, but the wait time is terrible for such an expensive item. They really need to get it together. I'll probably upgrade to the next version of the MP, but at this rate I'm guessing those won't be released for two years.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
Is it bad I don't really care where my Apple products are made?
Sure I want worker conditions to be better and labor laws, but the United States has plenty of low end/uneducated jobs, our issue is we don't have educated people to fill all our higher end/bachelors + masters jobs.

We are a developed rich nation, we should not still need these manufacturing jobs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.