Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AceC

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2013
My MPB is running 10.6.8, and has not been updated in a while.

I was just curious as to how long the process takes. I googled this and found that sometimes Macs will freeze and have issues during an update. Since my software hasn't been updated in so long, should I even try to update the software, or perhaps do one item update at a time?

Nov 28, 2010
located
It depends on your internet connection speed and the number of updates Software Update shows you and you selected to install. It should not take more than an hour with a good internet connection (1 or 3 MB/s download speeds) and a good computer.

Unless you meant "upgrading to OS X 10.9 Mavericks" though. That takes longer.

Software update, upgrade--what's the difference?
Key differences

• A software update is usually downloadable free of charge; a software upgrade usually is not.
  • A software upgrade usually increments the first "dot" number of a product (for example OS X Lion v10.7, Mac OS X Snow Leopard v10.6); a downloadable software update usually increments second "dot" number (for example, Mac OS X v10.7.4).

AceC

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2013
It depends on your internet connection speed and the number of updates Software Update shows you and you selected to install. It should not take more than an hour with a good internet connection (1 or 3 MB/s download speeds) and a good computer.

Unless you meant "upgrading to OS X 10.9 Mavericks" though. That takes longer.

Software update, upgrade--what's the difference?
Alright; what should I do if there are any issues updating, and it freezes, takes forever, etc?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.