Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 1, 2014, 12:57 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Makes it Easier to Create and Buy iAds, Introduces Short Video Ads

Apple is making it easier for anyone to create an ad campaign using its iAd Workbench mobile advertising tool. As noted by Ad Age, the company is now allowing any person with an Apple ID to open an iAd Workbench account and create an ad campaign, a feature previously restricted to registered developers. The changes will make it simpler for advertisers, small and large, to create ads for the platform.

Quote:
At the onset of its mobile-ad business, Apple extended olive branches to a select group of brands, promising premier reach. But advertisers pushed back against its pricey offerings. Now, it appears Apple has concluded money in mobile ads comes from a wide net; in short, it'll look more like Google.
Apple is also introducing new features to Workbench, its web-based platform used for tracking and launching campaigns. Users can now include short videos in an ad, which will be displayed full screen on the iPad and the iPhone, as first described earlier this year. Previously, iPhone ads were limited to less obtrusive banners that needed to be tapped before a video would play. Video iAds are also able to send viewers to websites or promoted iTunes content, rather than just mobile apps.

At the current point in time, the iAd Workbench expansion is limited to mobile ads and does not extend to iTunes Radio. Ad buyers are able to pay based on cost-per-click or cost-per-thousand impressions.

The company is likely hoping to attract new advertisers to the iAd platform with the introduction of videos and the simplification of account creation. Since its 2010 debut, iAd has been largely unsuccessful gaining advertising partners, but Apple has been aiming to revive iAd since the introduction of iTunes Radio.

Several major advertising partners, including McDonald's, Nissan, Pepsi, and Procter & Gamble signed up for iAd when iTunes Radio debuted and Apple has managed to increase iAd revenue to $260 million in 2013 from $38 million in 2011.

Article Link: Apple Makes it Easier to Create and Buy iAds, Introduces Short Video Ads
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2014, 01:00 PM   #2
pgiguere1
macrumors 68000

One thing's for sure: Apple now likes circles. A lot.
pgiguere1 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2014, 01:07 PM   #3
LastLine
macrumors 65816

To me the biggest limitation of using iAd as a developer wasn't what I could do with it, it was the budget I had to put in to get it started up - it was out of reach of small developers unfortunately.
LastLine is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2014, 01:09 PM   #4
ryansimmons323
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgiguere1 View Post
iOS 8?

More orbs than circles though I suppose.

ryansimmons323 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2014, 01:09 PM   #5
unplugme71
macrumors 65816

April fools?
unplugme71 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2014, 01:11 PM   #6
Anim
macrumors 6502a

Wish we had an iAd model for desktop apps too.
Anim is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2014, 01:14 PM   #7
Twimfy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastLine View Post
To me the biggest limitation of using iAd as a developer wasn't what I could do with it, it was the budget I had to put in to get it started up - it was out of reach of small developers unfortunately.
You're not wrong. I was working for a large loan company here in the UK and managing their digital ad campaign. They were shelling out 50k a month for online advertising without a care in the world, but as soon as I showed them what it'd cost to get a good iAd campaign up and running their faces turned white.
][e 1.023Mhz, 64Kb Ram.
Twimfy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2014, 01:42 PM   #8
CrazyForApple
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to CrazyForApple
I'm glad they done this
CrazyForApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2014, 01:42 PM   #9
Jsameds
macrumors 6502a

As long as Adblock keeps on blocking them I don't mind what they do.
Jsameds is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2014, 01:46 PM   #10
DipDog3
macrumors 6502a

Difference

Apple sells ads in order to provide money to developers, so they will create content for Apple products, which creates a diverse set of apps that are free or inexpensive that entices people to buy Apple products.

Google sells ads to make money for itself.

Interactive Phone - Try out the new Virtual iPhone 5s (Download Code @ RedRome.com)
DipDog3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2014, 01:48 PM   #11
pickaxe
macrumors 6502

Wow these circles with radial pastel-colored gradients look terrible.
pickaxe is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2014, 01:52 PM   #12
JAT
macrumors 603

What about "easier to avoid"? For consumers?
Old Apr 1, 2014, 02:01 PM   #13
Dr McKay
macrumors Demi-God

Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
Quote:
Well Microsoft already called dibs on squares/rectangles.

Thumb resize.

Thumb resize.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 02:13 PM   #14
chown33
macrumors 603

Quote:
Mmmm... pi...
chown33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2014, 02:26 PM   #15
charlituna
macrumors 604

I wish they would expand to an Adsense style system for blogs etc.
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2014, 02:33 PM   #16
TouchMint.com
macrumors 65816

Not that i use ads in my apps but I hear there are tons of problems with iad and not many serious developers use it. I guess apple pays quite a bit less than the others and It only works in a few countries (maybe just usa)? Anyways sounds like they have a lot of catching up to do on the ad filling front hopefully this is a move in the right direction?

TouchMint.com is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2014, 04:52 PM   #17
gotluck
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by DipDog3 View Post
Apple sells ads in order to provide money to developers, so they will create content for Apple products, which creates a diverse set of apps that are free or inexpensive that entices people to buy Apple products.

Lol it's all the same
Old Apr 1, 2014, 05:28 PM   #18
kdarling
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:

The trouble with your theory, is that Apple started out by giving LESS to developers than Google did. (60% vs 68%) And forced advertisers to commit to a million dollars buy-in, which led to far fewer advertisers.

In other words, Apple was ALL about the money.

After their greedy terms failed to attract longterm advertisers, Apple's was forced down to almost reasonable buy-in amounts, and to give developers 70%.
kdarling is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2014, 07:08 PM   #19
robjulo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Oh please.
robjulo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2014, 08:43 PM   #20
bzero
macrumors member

Quote:

They both sell ads to directly make money for themselves and to encourage developers to make apps. I don't know where you're getting your theory from.
bzero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2014, 02:54 AM   #21
Dave.UK
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

You keep telling yourself that
Dave.UK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2014, 03:00 AM   #22
Reason077
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchMint.com View Post
Not that i use ads in my apps but I hear there are tons of problems with iad and not many serious developers use it. I guess apple pays quite a bit less than the others and It only works in a few countries (maybe just usa)? Anyways sounds like they have a lot of catching up to do on the ad filling front hopefully this is a move in the right direction?
Your information is a few years out of date.

Most "serious" iOS developers do use iAd - although they combine it with other Ad networks using mediation networks. These tools/networks attempt automatically select the highest paying ads for a given user on a given day. Google's Ad network, AdMob, even supports iAd mediation now.

In my experience iAd pays the same, or somewhat better than, other networks in terms of banner ads. Game developers and the like can achieve higher eCPMs using full-screen interstitial ads, video ads, etc that iAd didn't support previously.

Fill rates are definitely not an issue with iAd anymore, particularly since last year when iAd workbench launched. I've noticed a general improvement in eCPM on iAd since workbench launched, too.

iAd is also very reliable, especially in the sense that they always pay you on time every month on 30 day terms - something that has been a big issue for some networks in the past.

Its true that iAd doesn't yet operate in all countries, but it works very well in those that it does. I believe the current list of countries supported is: United States, Canada, Mexico, United Kingdom, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Japan, New Zealand, Australia, Ireland, Hong Kong, and Taiwan

Last edited by Reason077; Apr 2, 2014 at 03:06 AM.
Reason077 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2014, 04:19 AM   #23
Tech198
macrumors 68040

Quote:
yep....

I don't really any ad... relevant or not, i don't click it..

Personally, if Apple really wanted to make money, they would work how how to just display the ad and get paid, rather than "you have to click" That's a instant downer right there.

You would get some, but not as much, because all people are trying to do is use the app that got, not to look at ads. if you want to click those, look on google.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 04:42 AM   #24
Reason077
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarling View Post
The trouble with your theory, is that Apple started out by giving LESS to developers than Google did. (60% vs 68%) And forced advertisers to commit to a million dollars buy-in, which led to far fewer advertisers.

In other words, Apple was ALL about the money.
"Forcing advertisers to commit millions" cost Apple a lot of money, not the other way around. With lower barriers to entry, they could have signed up far more advertisers in the early days of iAd than they did.

The reason for it was that they (Steve) wanted to create a perception of iAd being a premium ad network, with high quality advertisers designing high quality ads.

This was to differentiate iAd from others at the time, like AdMob, which were perceived as being in a race to the bottom: spammy apps full of spammy ads pushing crap.

Of course, it didn't work out as well as they hoped (in the early days), but I'm sure it was always part of the plan to gradually lower the entry bar, opening up iAd to more advertisers, and develop self-service tools (iAd workbench, iAd producer).
Reason077 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2014, 09:17 AM   #25
Rafterman
macrumors 6502a

Yeah, Apple, why worry about iOS 7.1's massive power drain problems, the people demand easier access to ads
Rafterman is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion