Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pfnoppen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2014
Hi,

My Macbook Pro started acting out earlier.

It turns the Page Outs are at 15 Go and going up. The free RAM is is moving between 7.5 Mo and 10 Mo. And no software is running. Total RAM is 4Go; 3.98Go is used.
When I restart the Page Outs go back down to 0, of course. Then, it just climbs and climbs.
All this while, no software is running.

My mac was running fine this morning until I turned it on again (from sleeping mode) to see the screen going fuzzy. I restarted it. Then, it began to run very slow. I don't know whether this incident is linked to my problem. It is the first time it happens; and I can't think of what could have caused it.

Anyone has an idea of what is going on?

Thank!

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
What are these units, do you mean GB and MB instead of Go and Mo?

What are your specs? Are you running Mavericks?

pfnoppen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2014
Yes I mean MB and GB (sorry it´s French).
I work with mountain lion.

pfnoppen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2014
I"m not sure where to read memory pressure.
But here is a screenshot of my pane. Hope this helps.
Thanks!!

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2014-03-04 à 10.33.36.png
    Capture d’écran 2014-03-04 à 10.33.36.png
    189.5 KB · Views: 127

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
I"m not sure where to read memory pressure.
But here is a screenshot of my pane. Hope this helps.
Thanks!!

My bad, memory pressure is a Mavericks only thing.

Can I see everything there sorted by RAM usage?

pfnoppen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2014
In the screenshot, you can see the RAM usage.
I went to tech support, and left my laptop there.
If you have insights, I'd be grateful. Otherwise, I'm sure someone at tech support will figure it out.
Thanks for your time!!

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
In the screenshot, you can see the RAM usage.
I went to tech support, and left my laptop there.
If you have insights, I'd be grateful. Otherwise, I'm sure someone at tech support will figure it out.
Thanks for your time!!

Yes, but it's not ordered by RAM usage so I can't really see what's using most of the RAM. Without that info it's hard to figure out what's going on.

The only thing I can suggest right now is upgrading to Mavericks as it is better then ML with its RAM usage.

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
Yes, but it's not ordered by RAM usage so I can't really see what's using most of the RAM. Without that info it's hard to figure out what's going on.

The only thing I can suggest right now is upgrading to Mavericks as it is better then ML with its RAM usage.

You also need to select 'All Processes' from the drop down menu at the top so you can see what processes the system is using in case one of those is acting out.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Looks like you have 4gb of ram, so not knowing what you're running, I'd say you have insufficient ram.

As others stated, sort the activity monitor by ram, and make sure you are showing all processes.

As I'm sure you already know this, but a reboot will clear things out and reset your swap files if you see performance tanking.

BigBeast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
Looks like you have 4gb of ram, so not knowing what you're running, I'd say you have insufficient ram.

As others stated, sort the activity monitor by ram, and make sure you are showing all processes.

As I'm sure you already know this, but a reboot will clear things out and reset your swap files if you see performance tanking.

Just as maflynn suggested, get more RAM. It's an easy upgrade, and your computer will return back to its correct speed.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
According to iStat Pro:

I have 13,584 Page outs.
223MB free memory
1.29GB inactive

I'm running Mavericks with 4GB. Do I need 8GB? I really don't do anything resource intensive. I just upgraded to SSD, so that's what has me checking all the stats.

Barney63

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Bolton, UK.
According to iStat Pro:

I have 13,584 Page outs.
223MB free memory
1.29GB inactive

I'm running Mavericks with 4GB. Do I need 8GB? I really don't do anything resource intensive. I just upgraded to SSD, so that's what has me checking all the stats.

For comparison with 8GB I have
0 Page Outs
609,335 Page Ins
1.54GB Free Memory
2.95GB Inactive

Barney

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.