Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1beginner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2010
wa
hello, I downloaded winebottler on my mac book pro for helping me run one exe software ( related to writing). But I can't figure out how to use it. the software I bought have to be run on Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package (x86). i am very new to BETA and don't have an excpirience with parallels and boot camp. Boot camp will not work for me as I do a lot online work. Thanks for any help

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Launch Winebottler. Select Create Custom Prefixes from the left panel. prefix template, use the search box to select "dotnet" several options will become available. I'd probably select dotnet20sp2 to start with. Then use the select file box at the top of the dialog box to select the installer for your application (should be an EXE).

Hit Install.

You should be done and results may vary.

B

1beginner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2010
wa
Launch Winebottler. Select Create Custom Prefixes from the left panel. prefix template, use the search box to select "dotnet" several options will become available. I'd probably select dotnet20sp2 to start with. Then use the select file box at the top of the dialog box to select the installer for your application (should be an EXE).

Hit Install.

You should be done and results may vary.

B
Thank you very much for your help!
I did as you said even I so that dotnet20sp2 requeres license windows ( somethig) It started ok but then give this log. I don't understand in this anything. If this is ot going to work what other option I have? Thank you again

Attachments

• 20100208-CaptureIt-Picture-3.jpg
    20100208-CaptureIt-Picture-3.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 1,224
  • 20100208-CaptureIt-Picture-1.jpg
    20100208-CaptureIt-Picture-1.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 2,280
  • 20100208-CaptureIt-Picture-2.jpg
    20100208-CaptureIt-Picture-2.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 1,279

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Wine is what you use to run exe's. Winebottler is what you use to convert an exe to a dmg file.

Anyway, if you want to use winebottler, you'll also need to pick what windows you want. I'd pick XP. You can also tell it to be "self contained," so the app can be run w/o prior install of wine. I find it easier to just use Wine and run apps from there.

1beginner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2010
wa
Wine is what you use to run exe's. Winebottler is what you use to convert an exe to a dmg file.

Anyway, if you want to use winebottler, you'll also need to pick what windows you want. I'd pick XP. You can also tell it to be "self contained," so the app can be run w/o prior install of wine. I find it easier to just use Wine and run apps from there.
thanks for clearing up. :)
where do i say in the programm that i want to use xp? So basicely what do i input in the settings? :confused:
what i did is choosing the file .exe. then check mark in dotnet20sp2 below in the window, then install. so id it didn't convert it properly this means it can't?

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
thanks for clearing up. :)
where do i say in the programm that i want to use xp? So basicely what do i input in the settings? :confused:
what i did is choosing the file .exe. then check mark in dotnet20sp2 below in the window, then install. so id it didn't convert it properly this means it can't?

Where you checked dotnet20sp2 (i.e., under winetricks) go all the way down and there are different windows versions.

Below winetricks is the self contain option.

Edit: BTW, XP is the default version, so if you plan on running in XP, you don't need to check off anything for Windows.

dvanderm101

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2010
Hello I am terrible with computers and I need help with winebottler. Earlier someone mentioned using wine bottler to convert .exe files into .dmg files and I'm interested in doing that. I'm mostly going to be using it for games and an engine to make games. Please make it as simple as possible because I'm not too good with computers. Thank you.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Hello I am terrible with computers and I need help with winebottler. Earlier someone mentioned using wine bottler to convert .exe files into .dmg files and I'm interested in doing that. I'm mostly going to be using it for games and an engine to make games. Please make it as simple as possible because I'm not too good with computers. Thank you.

IMHO it does not sound like you want winebottler By it's nature it isn't that simple (unless you already know what you are doing) and if you are going to be developing and playing games you should either be looking for an engine/platform that works natively on OS X or boot a full Windows environment in a Virtual Machine or natively via Boot Camp.

You don't want to make a .exe using your engine, then have to convert it to .app with winebottler to run it every time you make a change. Sounds like a good way to get turned off development quickly.

I could be wrong though. Can you tell us what kind of games and what "engine" you plan to use?

B

dvanderm101

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2010
Thank you. I'm working on setting up boot camp as well I was just hoping I could get winebottler to work so I wouldn't have to buy a windows disk and save some money. The game development engine is really simple, it is just for making 2D platformer, "indy style" games with the keyboard equivalent of nintendo 64 controls. If you've ever heard of the freeware game Cave Story, it's the engine used to make that. My other friends use it to make games and I was hoping I could get my computer to run it. For more specific info I'd have to ask them. As for running games I would be using it to test the games my friends and I make, and play a few major ones like area 51 and the MMORG's which only work for windows etc. I'm guessing it's nothing particularly hard although I see your point on what a nuisance it would be to go through the process of converting these things every time I want to work with them. I'll probably just go with bootcamp in the end but thanks for all the help.

habebimus

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2011
Pinnacle instant DVD recorder

I'm trying to install Pinnacle instant DVD recorder on wine ..
This is what the Console is giving me:
###BOTTLING### default.sh
###BOTTLING### Gathering debug Info...

Versions
OS...........................: darwin10.0
Wine.........................: 1.1.44
WineBottler..................: 1.1.44

Environment
PWD..........................: '/Applications/Wine.app/Contents/Resources/bin'
PATH.........................: /usr/gnu/bin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:.
WINEPATH.....................: /Applications/Wine.app/Contents/Resources/bin
LD_LIBRARY_PATH..............: /Applications/Wine.app/Contents/Resources/lib:/usr/X11R6/lib
DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH...: /usr/lib:/Applications/Wine.app/Contents/Resources/lib:/usr/X11R6/lib
FONTCONFIG_FILE..............: /Applications/Wine.app/Contents/Resources/etc/fonts/fonts.conf
DIPSPLAY.....................: /tmp/launch-4hLTEz/org.x:0
SILENT.......................:
http_proxy...................:
https_proxy..................:
ftp_proxy....................:
socks5_proxy.................:

Hardware:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro3,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per processor): 12 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.6 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MP31.006C.B05
SMC Version (system): 1.25f4
Serial Number (system): G88076QNXYL
Hardware UUID: CB3520BD-4AAF-529D-BF5B-B915655112A6

###BOTTLING### Create .app...
mkdir: /Volumes/IDVDR/Pinnacle.app: Read-only file system
ditto: /Volumes/IDVDR/Pinnacle.app/Contents/Frameworks/: Read-only file system
ditto: /Volumes/IDVDR/Pinnacle.app/Contents/MacOS: Read-only file system
ditto: /Volumes/IDVDR/Pinnacle.app/Contents: Read-only file system
ditto: /Volumes/IDVDR/Pinnacle.app/Contents/Resources/: Read-only file system
/Applications/WineBottler.app/Contents/Resources/bottler.sh: line 152: /Volumes/IDVDR/Pinnacle.app/Contents/Info.plist: Read-only file system
###BOTTLING### Turn on Coreaudio...
wine: chdir to /Volumes/IDVDR/Pinnacle.app/Contents/Resources
: No such file or directory
### LOG ### Command '/Applications/Wine.app/Contents/Resources/bin/wine regedit /tmp/coreaudio.reg' returned status 1.

###ERROR### Command '/Applications/Wine.app/Contents/Resources/bin/wine regedit /tmp/coreaudio.reg' returned status 1.
Task returned with status 15.

RedRocket

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2012
Hi - I have also just downloaded the Wine Bottle combo - I have converted an exe. file to an app ok. ....... now it does nothing. It wont open the page, or the app or anything at all. I am hopeless with this sort of thing and just bought a new MacPro with lion. Haalp!!!!

MineatronOrigin

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2013
Oh God, HELP AT ONCE!!!

Who likes code? Because I don't

Process: WineBottler [437]
Path: /Applications/WineBottler.app/Contents/MacOS/WineBottler
Identifier: org.kronenberg.WineBottler
Version: ??? (???)
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [100]

Interval Since Last Report: 337 sec
Crashes Since Last Report: 1
Per-App Interval Since Last Report: 0 sec
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 1

Date/Time: 2013-10-02 15:02:06.298 -0700
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.5.8 (9L31a)
Report Version: 6
Anonymous UUID: 921C49BA-F28C-4C2A-B875-93EE28A7F2F8

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread: 0

Dyld Error Message:
Library not loaded: @loader_path/../Frameworks/KBActionWindow.framework/Versions/A/KBActionWindow
Referenced from: /Applications/WineBottler.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/WBottler.framework/Versions/A/WBottler
Reason: no suitable image found. Did find:
/Applications/WineBottler.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/WBottler.framework/Versions/A/../Frameworks/KBActionWindow.framework/Versions/A/KBActionWindow: unknown required load command 0x80000022
/Applications/WineBottler.app/Contents/Frameworks/WBottler.framework/Versions/A/../Frameworks/KBActionWindow.framework/Versions/A/KBActionWindow: unknown required load command 0x80000022

:apple::mad::apple:

EmilyCaitlin

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2014
Winebottler: importing media.

So I bottled the "Adventure Maker" app so I can now run it on my mac, but i can't do anything in the application because i need to be able to "import" images and when the application searches, it searches on the FAKE pc that was "created" for bottling. Is there anyway I can get around this? or am I stuck not being able to use this application at all? :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.