Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Probably because no one is buying the GPE or DEV edition of the S4, so its not like it matters anyways. People buy an S4 for all the great software TW brings to it, things no other phone on the market has. They don't buy one to get a stripped down, boring version of Android.

Wait..what? What does this have to do with the HTC One? The versions mentioned in this article are fully skinned versions running Sense, just carrier agnostic and free of carrier bloatware. HTC promised to have KK on these models in 30 days from release and as with their promise to rollout 4.3 in a timely fashion, they appear have met expectations once again. Considering their past update history before the One, this is very good news. I'd bet HTC has carrier versions updated to KK before Samsung as well.

And I personally wouldn't look twice at a S4 running TW, specifically because it's running TW. Until Samsung can't get their s%&t together and significantly alter and improve it, you'll never catch me running another Samsung device using it.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
They don't buy one to get a stripped down, boring version of Android.

Considering HTC have managed to update their non "stripped down boring version of Android" Sense 5.5 based build on the latest Android code base so quickly is quite a feat IMO.

I'm impressed at least. I wonder which next big OEM will have some customised KitKat for their users?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Probably because no one is buying the GPE or DEV edition of the S4, so its not like it matters anyways. People buy an S4 for all the great software TW brings to it, things no other phone on the market has. They don't buy one to get a stripped down, boring version of Android.

You should learn quickly how 'folks round here don't appreciate trolling'....... If you have no interest in a thread, can share nothing other than an irrelevant remark in the context of the thread in hand that serves no purpose other than to troll, you should exit quickly before the 'time-out' or 'banned' button gets pressed......

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Considering HTC have managed to update their non "stripped down boring version of Android" Sense 5.5 based build on the latest Android code base so quickly is quite a feat IMO.

I'm impressed at least. I wonder which next big OEM will have some customised KitKat for their users?

Apparently the update has been rolling out for Korean LG G2 users.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Just checked my One dev edition this morning and the latest update is ready for download. :D

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Just checked my One dev edition this morning and the latest update is ready for download. :D

Just got the HTC One on Wind Mobile here in Canada ... currently on 4.3/Sense 5. I don't know too much about Android so I figure I'll get used to this OS first before looking about hacking/modding.

Curious ... does your HTC One Dev Ed have the non HTC Sense gui ... as in the HTC One Google Edition?

I'm heavily considering loading just the HTC One Google Edition for 4.4, then getting the packs for the HTC Camera (Zoe, etc) and Beats Audio (sound plugins) ... and heavily considering digging for and installing Sony's Z1 music/video player.

Eventually I'd like to run this smooth like a bad boy but I have to learn the File System (right now I'm STILL trying to find the USB settings for file transfer because it's in MTP mode with Debuggin (or without) and Mavericks cannot see it in Finder, arrrgh! (So much for Android can do "anything" when I cannot even simply get to a USB setting to enable USB mode, because even in the android curtain it's asking me to select USB something and it takes me to tethering settings WTF?) Rant off.

Love this device but I need to understand how Android works so PM if you've got some HTC One Android newb tips.

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
but I have to learn the File System (right now I'm STILL trying to find the USB settings for file transfer because it's in MTP mode with Debuggin (or without) and Mavericks cannot see it in Finder, arrrgh! (So much for Android can do "anything" when I cannot even simply get to a USB setting to enable USB mode, because even in the android curtain it's asking me to select USB something and it takes me to tethering settings WTF?)
OS X doesn't support MTP. You need something like Android File Transfer or you can use ADB to push/pull files to/from the phone via terminal.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
OS X doesn't support MTP. You need something like Android File Transfer or you can use ADB to push/pull files to/from the phone via terminal.

Just downloaded and installed. Although I did finally get the HTC Manager app working but it sucks - WORSE than BlackBerry's Link (you cannot even do iTunes playlist sync); I never thought that was possible lol.

Can I migrate the music via iTunes Playlists?
Meaning moving the playlists and all the tracks with it so that the M7 recognizes both??

Terminal?? Interested.

walie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2010
Just downloaded and installed. Although I did finally get the HTC Manager app working but it sucks - WORSE than BlackBerry's Link (you cannot even do iTunes playlist sync); I never thought that was possible lol.

Can I migrate the music via iTunes Playlists?
Meaning moving the playlists and all the tracks with it so that the M7 recognizes both??

Terminal?? Interested.

airdroid

isyncr

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Poor HTC One thread buried, not for long. :)

Update for Kit Kat coming soon. Just saw the article on Yahoo news.
http://news.yahoo.com/best-android-phone-world-gets-even-better-week-150129454.html

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Got the update for Sprint version, took about 15 minutes to download and install.

Waiting on the update for Moto G and Note 3. I guess it will not be too much longer for those. When it rains, it pours though actually in my locale I should say snow. Another storm tonight and over the weekend. Damn!

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
Just converted my stock ONE into a Google Play Edition :) first thing I did was activate ART. Just love that (even more) butter smooth device.

Thats what I envy you HTC one users for. My gs4 requires manually flashing of a ge ROM from a Dev and manual flashing of any future updates, after the Dev updates. Such a pain with backing up and restoring stuff every time. I would love a full conversion.

If only HTC had installed a regular camera instead of the 4mp ultra pixel one, I would have that instead. What a shame.

verpeiler

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2013
Munich, Germany
If only HTC had installed a regular camera instead of the 4mp ultra pixel one, I would have that instead. What a shame.

TBH, the camera is perfectly fine for casual snapshots.. most people take crappy pictures of their dogs or kids, and don't have clue what they are doing, but moan about camera specs. Last year a guy at the grand canyon asked me to take a picture of him and his wife, and he insisted on using the flash. In bright sunlight. I was speechless.

If I want to take real pictures I wouldn't use a phone anyway, not even a iPhone 5S or S4. ;-)

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
So, I was offered a Google edition HTC One for my G2. My question is anyone who has the Google Edition, how well does KitKat run on it? And how does it compare to the Nexus 5? Does this seem like a good deal? My G2 is the at&t model.

Fireblade

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Italy
So, I was offered a Google edition HTC One for my G2. My question is anyone who has the Google Edition, how well does KitKat run on it? And how does it compare to the Nexus 5? Does this seem like a good deal? My G2 is the at&t model.

Would never trade a G2 for a M7...

Why?
Battery, Display, Display/Size ratio, Camera...

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Would never trade a G2 for a M7...

Why?
Battery, Display, Display/Size ratio, Camera...

The display is better on the One M7, talking quality not size. The other points you brought up are true and is why I'm a little hesitant, plus the processor is also a step down. But the hardware is awesome and its running stock and would get updates much faster, much preffered to LG's skin. Its also unlocked, my G2 is tied to at&t.

I'm currently using a nexus 5 as my daily driver, my G2 has just been at home, I think I would use the One more. I guess it would also depend on its performance compared to my Nexus, I had the at&t One last year when it launched and biggest problem for me was the battery life and it would stutter from time to time, something that doesn't happen on my nexus.

Having stock KitKat on that phone should help with both concerns, or at least that's my hope, but I haven't been able yo find anything on the GPE One running stock KitKat, only thing I could find are people who hacked stock on their One and the announcement that KitKat was available. That's why I'm asking here for anyone that has had expierence with stock KitKat on the GPE One.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-05-16-15-46-30.png
    Screenshot_2014-05-16-15-46-30.png
    450 KB · Views: 121
  • Screenshot_2014-05-16-15-46-38.png
    Screenshot_2014-05-16-15-46-38.png
    467.7 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.