Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 2, 2014, 09:59 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Second Apple-Samsung Patent Trial Begins with Focus on Apple's 'Holy War', Advertising Envy, and Phil Schiller

Samsung and Apple's second patent trial started earlier this week with jury selection and opening arguments by both Apple and Samsung. Phil Schiller also took the stand as Apple's first witness in the trial, which started in earnest on Tuesday.

Among the volume of internal documents provided in the case, The Wall Street Journal highlights emails from Apple founder Steve Jobs that reveal his commitment to beating Android, calling the competition a "Holy War" with Google.

Jobs outlined this "battle" in an October 2010 email to 100 employees prior to the company's annual retreat. Jobs said in the email that "Apple is in danger of hanging on to old paradigm for too long (innovator's dilemma)" and notes that "Google and Microsoft are further along on the technology, but haven't quite figured it out yet." This characterization is favorable to Samsung as the company attempts to involve Google and Android in the patent infringement case.

As part of its opening statement in the case, Samsung outlined its plans to share internal Apple documents that suggest Apple was taken aback by Samsung's edgy marketing campaign that characterized the company's Galaxy devices as "the next big thing." (via The Verge)
Quote:
"We will show you internal Apple documents, documents that haven't been made public before, and showed how Apple was really concerned about competition from Android, and in particular Samsung," John Quinn of law firm Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, which is representing Samsung in the trial, told an eight-person jury. "This new, edgy marketing strategy ... it drove Apple crazy."
Following opening arguments by Apple and Samsung, Apple executive Phil Schiller testified in court on behalf on Apple, discussing, as he did in the first trial, the risks the company took as it successfully released both the iPhone and iPad before its competitors, reports Computerworld.
Quote:
"We wondered what could come after the iPod," Schiller said. "We wanted to try and invent that future rather than let it happen to us."
Schiller also reminded jurors that Apple wasn't always the leader in the mobile market and had a long learning curve to get where it is now.
Quote:
"Apple really only had two products at the time: the Mac and iPod," he said, reminding jurors of a time before Apple was the phone and tablet powerhouse it is today. "We hadn't made a phone. We didn't know about radios and antennas and all the things that make up a phone."
Schiller remained on the stand for over two hours before his testimony ended for the day. Schiller is expected to return on Friday, with Samsung continuing to question the Apple executive when the trial resumes.

Article Link: Second Apple-Samsung Patent Trial Begins with Focus on Apple's 'Holy War', Advertising Envy, and Phil Schiller
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:01 AM   #2
maflynn

I just wish these would end, the only winners appear to be the lawyers
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:07 AM   #3
mazz0
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to mazz0
"edgy"?

Just being arses doesn't make you edgy.
mazz0 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:09 AM   #4
jamesryanbell
macrumors 68020

Why call it a holy war? That's a little over-the-top
jamesryanbell is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:10 AM   #5
RoboCop001
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesryanbell View Post
Why call it a holy war? That's a little over-the-top
Just like all wars lol.
RoboCop001 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:10 AM   #6
Giuly
macrumors 68040

Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
Frankly, I'd be much more indulged to see Jony Ive and Phil Schiller battling it out with whichever committee at Samsung develops their products instead of this Judge Judy-esque soap opera.

They stole it, they shipped it, and users already upgraded from it to something else. Twice.

Last edited by Giuly; Apr 2, 2014 at 10:24 AM.
Giuly is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:11 AM   #7
Oohara
macrumors 65816

Someone pass the popcorn!
Oohara is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:11 AM   #8
lincolntran
macrumors 6502

How did shameSung get access to Apple internal documents and vice versa? There are people working in the shadow?
lincolntran is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:12 AM   #9
rajat8676
macrumors member

What's the point in having long legal battles when it's very much apparent that Samsung blatantly copied Apple. Indict Samsung & be done with it.
rajat8676 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:13 AM   #10
fasterthanfiber
macrumors newbie

Tie products together to keep customers in our ecosystem? If a company can't keep customers in through innovation and value proposition, let's tie them into our products. Bad business and not the Apple I know.

I think if we could migrate iTunes and other purchases easily to another device Apple base wound drop considerably - then again I think other OS do this too.
fasterthanfiber is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:13 AM   #11
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
Yep. Unfortunately we have Steve Jobs to thank for this, along with the poaching and ebooks crap. These are the headaches he left Apple with.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:14 AM   #12
Starshadow
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolntran View Post
How did shameSung get access to Apple internal documents and vice versa? There are people working in the shadow?
Squadrons of company Ninja of course.
Starshadow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:14 AM   #13
keterboy
macrumors regular

This needs to end. Once and for all. With a clear win for Apple.

keterboy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:15 AM   #14
tod
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Yep. Unfortunately we have Steve Jobs to thank for this, along with the poaching and ebooks crap. These are the headaches he left Apple with.
They aren't such huge headaches. They'll all be sorted out one way or another. What's a few billion to Apple these days?
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:19 AM   #15
Santabean2000
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
Yep. Oh to be on their hourly rate!

Damn those distractingly hot girls at high school...
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:20 AM   #16
YahonMaizosz
macrumors regular

"Tie all of our products together, so we further lock customers into our ecosystem"

Is no one disturbed by that??
YahonMaizosz is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:22 AM   #17
ouimetnick
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to ouimetnick Send a message via Yahoo to ouimetnick Send a message via Skype™ to ouimetnick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuly View Post
Frankly, I'd be much more indulged to see Jony Ive and Phil Schiller battling it out with whichever committee at Samsung develops their products instead of this Judge Judy-esque soap opera.
I love Judge Judy. I think she could decide in Apple's favor pretty quickly.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:22 AM   #18
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasterthanfiber View Post
Tie products together to keep customers in our ecosystem? If a company can't keep customers in through innovation and value proposition, let's tie them into our products. Bad business and not the Apple I know.

I think if we could migrate iTunes and other purchases easily to another device Apple base wound drop considerably - then again I think other OS do this too.
What company doesn't try to lock people into its ecosystem? You don't think Google and Microsoft do the same, and Samsung would if it could?
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:22 AM   #19
bryanescuela
macrumors regular

Re:

I hope both companies get hit really hard where it hurt the most
bryanescuela is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:23 AM   #20
Starshadow
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by YahonMaizosz View Post
"Tie all of our products together, so we further lock customers into our ecosystem"

Not really, thats the strategy of all of these big companies like Apple, Microsoft and Google.
Starshadow is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:24 AM   #21
everything-i
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasterthanfiber View Post

You have to be kidding Apple has been doing this for years by having their own closed systems that they don't license to anyone else. You build an ecosystem like this primarily to make your customers dependent. Otherwise you would use totally open interoperable solutions that allowed your customers to use whatever services provider they want. They all do this to varying degrees.
everything-i is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:25 AM   #22
Kev.LoveMac
macrumors member

This will become interesting as a Movie. Maybe one day there will be one to memorize the days we are living in right now.
Kev.LoveMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:25 AM   #23
H2SO4
macrumors 6502a

That snippet is a double edged sword. Things like that although show what work and ideas were in whjat place also make the author look like a fanatic. This makes them get taken less seriously.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:26 AM   #24
samcraig
macrumors G5

Unfortunately for some - things like Apple desiring to lock people into their ecosystem and other "revelations" from these documents and proceedings might be an eye opener. Anyone with any business sense can attest that it's nothing surprising.

Apple is a company. Like many companies. And is affected by the marketplace and responds as well. They might do it differently than the next or on some levels and not others. But they aren't immune.
samcraig is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:27 AM   #25
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by YahonMaizosz View Post

No. What company doesn't want to lock customers into their ecosystem? You think Google, Microsoft, Amazon, FB etc. think any differently?

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion