Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

webstarcool

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2010
SFO
Yesterday I saw the news article on the new USB type-C connector which will be a lot smaller and reversible - just like the lightning connector. I was thinking what kind of consequences this would have for Apple as lightning and usb type-c could easily be confused. By coincidence I found this article, which describes exactly my thoughts on the topic:

http://www.everyinteraction.com/reversible-usb-type-c-lightning/

I would hope Apple implements this new connector on their future laptops. The benefit would be that both the cable and the connector would be reversible for the devices it support obviously. Would Apple change to this new connector on a future iPhone - not least to comply with the new European Union regulation "one charger for all".

usb-type-c-concept-apple.png

Last edited:

treestar

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2010
That's a bad representation of the future type C cable. It is going to be USB 3.1 compatible so it will have a lot more contact points. I've also seen that it is going to look more like mini HDMI or micro USB. Apple should already be using a standardized USB port, but they don't. I expect it's to offer more options using display adapters, etc. The older 30-pin port was also used for peripheral devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.