Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aspects

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2014
So here's what's going on, I have had a charger that came with my ipod5 butting seriously just doesn't work at all anymore it wobbles around when plugged into the ipod and does not charge it at all, that is when I bought a 5$ replacement but the wires have become disconnected from the logic board, is there any easy way I could fix either of these problems without having to go out and buy anything, as a side note I have electric tape and probably only that at my disposal, I do not have a soldering iron nor solder, if you can help your help will be greatly appreciated. Also this is a iPod 5, 16gb (So a lightning connector)

IlikeMacsSoMuch

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2009
Blainville, Province of Quebec
So here's what's going on, I have had a charger that came with my ipod5 butting seriously just doesn't work at all anymore it wobbles around when plugged into the ipod and does not charge it at all, that is when I bought a 5$ replacement but the wires have become disconnected from the logic board, is there any easy way I could fix either of these problems without having to go out and buy anything, as a side note I have electric tape and probably only that at my disposal, I do not have a soldering iron nor solder, if you can help your help will be greatly appreciated. Also this is a iPod 5, 16gb (So a lightning connector)

When you say wobble around, you mean inside the ipod or inside the adaptor ?

Do you have the official apple cable? If it wobbles around with an official cable that means that you are right about the board's disconnected cable. In which case, electrical cable won't help you at all. You will have either to open it to fix it yourself (ifixit.com) and you will in all likelihood need either spare parts or/and a soldering iron or take it to a technician to get it fixed. In both cases, you will need to spend money, unless it is still on warranty, is it?

You could plug the cable into the electrical outlet (through the adaptor) then wobble the other end yourself to see if you can get a contact, if so then you could then hold it in place with the electrical tape. It might work for a time but you will need to keep a close eye on it to not set a fire, or break the ipod further. I would not however try that myself.

Last edited:

Aspects

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2014
The charger wobbles around inside the ipod itself sort of like the port on the ipod just doubled in size. it has been like this before and I was able to wobble it around to eventually establish a connection but now it just does not work at all.

IlikeMacsSoMuch

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2009
The charger wobbles around inside the ipod itself sort of like the port on the ipod just doubled in size. it has been like this before and I was able to wobble it around to eventually establish a connection but now it just does not work at all.

Don't take this the wrong way but I do IT support for a living and that the kind of question that needs to be asked: Do you use the appropriate cable?

Is is still on warranty? Because it will need to be opened to be fixed

Aspects

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2014
When you say wobble around, you mean inside the ipod or inside the adaptor ?

Do you have the official apple cable? If it wobbles around with an official cable that means that you are right about the board's disconnected cable.

What I mean is the the official apple cable wobbles around and doesn't work, I have a second charger where all the wires have been disconnected from the board.

----------

This ipod is still on its one year warranty.

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2006
Lets address why the original cable may not work.

You need a super special took aka a paperclip.

Bend out the paperclip and then gently take one end of it and use it such that you can "dig" out any lint that may have gathered in side your lightening port on your phone.

Aspects

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2014
Lets address why the original cable may not work.

You need a super special took aka a paperclip.

Bend out the paperclip and then gently take one end of it and use it such that you can "dig" out any lint that may have gathered in side your lightening port on your phone.

I really mean it's the charger not the port. I have already tried this.

IlikeMacsSoMuch

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2009
I really mean it's the charger not the port. I have already tried this.

So which one is it? Now you are saying it's the charger but earlier you told me it's the iPod.

If it's the charger, it's covered by the Apple warranty as long as it's the one that came with the Apple product. You can still charge your iPod plugged into your computer too. Jus go to the Apple store

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.