Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Blizzard Entertainment's digital card trading game Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft for iPad soft-launched today in Australia, Canada, and New Zealand, after launching for Mac in March.

The free-to-play collectible card game is set in the Warcraft universe, allowing players to compete with Magic the Gathering-style decks in one-on-one fights via Battle.net or against the computer. The iPad version of the game will connect to Battle.net accounts, syncing with the PC/Mac version.

JUMP RIGHT IN: Fun introductory missions bring you into the world of Hearthstone's intuitive gameplay.

BUILD YOUR DECK: With hundreds of additional cards to win and craft - your collection grows with you.

HONE YOUR SKILLS: Play in practice matches against computer-controlled heroes of the Warcraft universe. Thrall, Uther, Gul'dan - they're all here!

COLLECTION TRAVELS WITH YOU: Your card collection is linked to your Battle.net account - enabling you to switch your play between tablet and desktop with ease.

AND FIGHT FOR GLORY: When you're ready, step into the Arena and duel other players for the chance to win awesome prizes!
While the game is currently only available to players in New Zealand, Canada, and Australia, as a soft-launch for testing purposes, the game should launch worldwide soon. Blizzard is also planning to release an iPhone app later this year.

Article Link: 'Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft' for iPad Now Available in New Zealand, Australia, and Canada

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
Edit: Tried out the game. It seems alright. A lot like Magic the Gathering.

Last edited:

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Been playing the Mac client of this and it's really fun. But I've really been waiting for the iPad version. Can't wait!

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA
I've really been looking forward to the iPad implementation, but still didn't expect it for quite some time. This is a very nice surprise!

Koulie

macrumors regular
May 19, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
This sure was a lot earlier than expected!
As usual this app is coming down under first for a stress test, it should be available for the States soon after.
Kudos to Blizzard for their unparalleled cross-platform support, they really keep the Mac Gamer's in the picture.

mrgulabull

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2010
As a non-magic player, I wasn't expecting to enjoy this game much. I gave it a shot and was pleasantly surprised. It was moderately fun in the beginning, but as I've discovered the depth and strategy available it's really become addicting. It can be competitive and rewarding or just a simple distraction. Satisfying both the semi-casual and hardcore player. I predict that wide user demographic, combined with the enticing IAP will make Hearthstone 'clash of clans' big.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Edited to fit on the forums. And taken by me after I played my first iPad match.

jvlG1z1.jpg

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010
For those in America, simply change your iTunes Store region to Canada and sign up for a new iTunes account. Download the app with the new account then switch to your old account.

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
This sure was a lot earlier than expected!
As usual this app is coming down under first for a stress test, it should be available for the States soon after.
Kudos to Blizzard for their unparalleled cross-platform support, they really keep the Mac Gamer's in the picture.

Yeah, this is a lot sooner than they've given the impression of before. Really nice and looking forward to this, always said the iPad felt like the most natural platform for this game.

cicuz

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2010
Soooooo are they (Apple) ever going to let OSX and iOS players interact? :rolleyes:

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Anyone paid real money for a booster pack yet within the app? Does it go through Apple's in-app-purchase system, giving Apple a 30% cut and allowing players to spend iTunes credits? Or does Blizzard somehow force you to use external battle.net funds?

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
Anyone paid real money for a booster pack yet within the app? Does it go through Apple's in-app-purchase system, giving Apple a 30% cut and allowing players to spend iTunes credits? Or does Blizzard somehow force you to use external battle.net funds?

It goes through Apple's system, which leaves me pleasantly surprised that packs cost the same on iOS as they do on the desktop.

R1PPER

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
Can i put this on my UK account ipad if i download it on an australian account?

Thanks

MacGod

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2008
For those in America, simply change your iTunes Store region to Canada and sign up for a new iTunes account. Download the app with the new account then switch to your old account.

Lot of extra work to get a game that will probably appear in US in the next week or two - I can wait - not that hard up to play Hearthstone.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Its actually kind of fun. I never played magic cards or the like.

It's surprisingly easy to grasp.

vashspike

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2011
A never-ending loop
Lot of extra work to get a game that will probably appear in US in the next week or two - I can wait - not that hard up to play Hearthstone.

Easily takes 5-10 minutes. I played at least 5 regular games and ran an arena last night. Well worth the extra work to get it now if you ask me.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
Wow, Canada gets something before the US and most of the rest of the world (besides gay marriage lol)?

And what is this "Spotify" that people have been talking about for some time now? Or "Google All Access Music"?

Anyway, I've only played it on my computer sometime last week, but I can see the iPad version definitely keeping me far more busy :D .

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
Wow, Canada gets something before the US and most of the rest of the world (besides gay marriage lol)?

And what is this "Spotify" that people have been talking about for some time now? Or "Google All Access Music"?

Anyway, I've only played it on my computer sometime last week, but I can see the iPad version definitely keeping me far more busy :D .

Just use iTunes Radio...oh, wait...

Chaddubya

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2014

Didn't work. It asks for my credit card. I enter all 3 that I have and it says those are not usable in this countries apple store.

Ozid

macrumors regular
May 22, 2011
Los Angeles
Didn't work. It asks for my credit card. I enter all 3 that I have and it says those are not usable in this countries apple store.

- Have an email address not attached to iTunes or Apple in any way.
- Log out of iTunes on your computer, switch stores to the Canada store (lower right hand corner)
- Goto Hearthstone, click "Free"
- Select the "Create New" option and use this email that has never been used by Apple
- When it comes to the payment screen, you should be able to select "None". I was able to after I relented and made a new email address just for this.

Enjoy :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.