Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
Better iPhone display ?

My God,,, isn't Retina (Apple's term) enough ? I mean dot are dot but how high do you really wanna go before you get to the stage, "I can no longer look at that hideous screen... its too high res.."

There are more dimensions to "better" than dpi, and Apple seems uninterested in chasing dpi, at least for now.
Things that can be improved include
- contrast (blacker blacks)
- dynamic range (ie 10, 12 or 16 bits per color component)
- larger color gamut (eg by going to 4 phosphors rather than the current 3)

At the controller rather than display level, there is scope for saving power by only toggling the LCD pixels when they change rather than on a fixed 60Hz schedule, and/or allowing for dynamic modification of the frame rate (eg play 24 fps movies at 24 fps, without forcing them to 60Hz).

Many of these are complicated by the fact that they require changes across the whole system, from the LCD to the controller to the OS and APIs.
Which all means that they're kinda perfect for Apple --- they result in a visibly better product, and in a way that's extremely difficult for Android to copy and even MS will have to do some work (especially if they can't go as low down the stack in terms of having ownership of the actual LCD controller).

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
How will the display quality get a "boost" when the first paragraph clearly reads that the chip is already being used in iPhones?

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
How will the display quality get a "boost" when the first paragraph clearly reads that the chip is already being used in iPhones?

If they acquire the technology, they can customize to fit their own needs. They could also entertain integrating it into another chip if they saw fit. While consolidation makes for more expensive die/packaging, it would save board space and remove a chip-to-chip interface on the board and convert it to an on-die interface or die to die within a single package. This would save energy.

jasvncnt

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2011
New Jersey
I don't know why you are so quick to defend anything samsung, but every single display on their flagship has been seen as worse than the one that they use on the iPhone. Maybe finally the s5 brings something better, but my point still stands.

To be fair most of your "points" were just opinion

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.