Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackboxxx

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2008
It's not possible to modify system proxy settings using current Safari extension API.
However, it's very easy to configure Media Hint proxy manually. Open System Preferences > Network, select your internet connection, click Advanced > Proxies > Automatic Proxy Configuration and paste this URL: https://mediahint.com/default.pac

It's also a good idea to create a new network location and use it just for Media Hint (at the top of Network preference pane click Location > Edit Locations, then duplicate existing or create a new one and name it "Media Hint").
Then you can easily switch between Automatic (for normal browsing) and Media Hint through  menu > Location.

Reactions: APPLEFUNRF

bkar89

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2012
Norway
How did ya get it working on your iPad?

Settings -> WiFi -> now hit the blue info button next to your wifi connection. under "HTTP Proxy" Select Auto and paste the URL mentioned above into the given field.

I don't think you have to restart or anything, but can't hurt.

JolleyMark

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2013
I am using an iPad 3

This did not work for me in safari, chrome or the bbc iplayer.

Please help?

eusie

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2014
It works for me on my iPad mini. I don't know if it helps, but I first installed media hint on my iMac in the Chrome browser, logged into Netflix which was re-directed to Netlix USA and then added the link mentioned above in my iPad mini settings. Then did a complete shut down and then a restart and it works :D

Dani1234

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2014
So I did this on my iPad and while it appeared to have worked, whenever I try to watch something it just comes up unable to stream :( any ideas of how to fix this?

PW168

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2009
Media Hint for Safari

It's not possible to modify system proxy settings using current Safari extension API.
However, it's very easy to configure Media Hint proxy manually. Open System Preferences > Network, select your internet connection, click Advanced > Proxies > Automatic Proxy Configuration and paste this URL: https://mediahint.com/default.pac

It's also a good idea to create a new network location and use it just for Media Hint (at the top of Network preference pane click Location > Edit Locations, then duplicate existing or create a new one and name it "Media Hint").
Then you can easily switch between Automatic (for normal browsing) and Media Hint through  menu > Location.

Thank you!!! This works for me. One question though, by pasting the URL in the Automatic Proxy Config, is this a 7 day freebee or will I have to pay for this later on??

Proxxy

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2014
Thank you!!! This works for me. One question though, by pasting the URL in the Automatic Proxy Config, is this a 7 day freebee or will I have to pay for this later on??

This is what I'm wondering too?

Also. Adding the URL works flawlessly on my macbook but it doesn't work on my Ipad nor iPhone. The tv shows/movies seem to appear in netflix, but they're not able to stream..

Does anyone know why that is?

DejaVu57

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2016
London, UK

Then you can easily switch between Automatic (for normal browsing) and Media

I ve been using this technique for a year was working fantastic but all of a sudden stoped working from last week. I m dying to watch Bbc Iplayer Apreciate any kind of ideas that is free. Im in Tokyo by the way
[doublepost=1454539704][/doublepost]

Stopped working from last week any ideas please

DejaVu57

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2016
London, UK
I ve been using geographically restticted site via http/:mediahint.com/default in the wifi setting. All of a sudden its stoped working. I am dying to watch iplayer . Any ideas will be appreciated
Thanks

blackboxxx

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2008
MediaHint became a paid service quite some time ago, it's amazing they even allowed this free loophole for so long.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.