Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 3, 2014, 07:45 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Fingerprint Scanners on iPhone 5s and Galaxy S5 Compared in New Video

Apple debuted its Touch ID fingerprint sensor in September of 2013 with the iPhone 5s, making it the first major smartphone to include fingerprint recognition technology. Samsung followed with its own version of a fingerprint scanner in the Galaxy S5, which is slated to be released on April 11.

A new YouTube video from Tanner Marsh compares Touch ID on iPhone 5s with the fingerprint scanner of the upcoming Galaxy S5, walking through the process of setting up fingerprint recognition on both devices and comparing and contrasting some of the available functionality.

The two fingerprint scanners are quite different, with Apple's Touch ID utilizing a round home button that captures a motionless fingerprint while Samsung's sensor is activated using a swiping motion that scans the finger from base to tip using a rectangular home button.

iPhone 5s users may be familiar with the setup process of Touch ID, which includes placing each finger on the home button multiple times in order to register a fingerprint from multiple angles. Samsung's setup is a bit different, involving multiple swipes downward on the screen over the home button.

Early reports suggested Samsung's fingerprint sensor was somewhat inaccurate, and the video depicts some of the same problems with fingerprint recognition. Marsh notes that he has to swipe directly over the center of the home button for a fingerprint to register and describes how the sensor on the S5 is hard to use with a single hand.
Quote:
It seems like it's sort of hit or miss unless you swipe directly over the center of the button, covering most of it with your finger. Moreover because you have to swipe starting from the bottom of the touchscreen it makes the process nearly impossible with one hand.

As for the iPhone 5s, because the device essentially captures multiple scans of your finger in various positions you can literally unlock it from any orientation including upside down, left, right, or diagonally. It doesn't matter. It will almost always recognize your finger.
While Samsung's fingerprint sensor appears to have some issues, Apple's Touch ID faced its own problems early on, including "fade," or the increasingly erratic performance of the fingerprint sensor over time. iOS 7.1, released in March, solved the issue, bringing much-needed improvements to Touch ID's fingerprint recognition capabilities.

Apple also faced significant scrutiny over both hacking and privacy concerns after the launch of the iPhone 5s, leading it to publish multiple documents detailing how the feature works, assuring users that only mathematical representations of fingerprints are stored in the A7 processor's Secure Enclave, which is walled off from the rest of iOS.

Samsung may face some of the same scrutiny following the April 11 release of the Galaxy S5, especially as the company has plans to allow developers access to the feature.

Samsung's S5 will also be compatible with PayPal's mobile payment app, allowing users to authorize PayPal payments with a fingerprint, a feature that could also cause concern with some users. Apple has plans to enter the payment arena with its Touch ID fingerprint scanner, but has yet to do so.

Article Link: Fingerprint Scanners on iPhone 5s and Galaxy S5 Compared in New Video
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2014, 07:46 PM   #2
dannyyankou
macrumors 68030

To keep it short: You can unlock the 5s holding it in one hand from any orientation, but you need to use both hands and swipe down the center every time on the S5.

Touch ID: So easy, a cat could use it.

Last edited by dannyyankou; Apr 3, 2014 at 08:26 PM.
dannyyankou is offline   70 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2014, 07:49 PM   #3
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Luckily for me Touch ID has been nearly flawless, even when I was on holiday and in and out of water frequently. I like the fact that I don't have to first wake the device before unlocking it. Can't wait for it to come to iPads and be opened up to 3rd party support.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 07:49 PM   #4
dustinsc
macrumors regular

Well, you've got to use both hands with a screen that big anyway, so...
dustinsc is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2014, 07:52 PM   #5
afsnyder
macrumors 6502a

So the S5 accuracy is pretty good but the tech is very inconvenient for the end user for that size device?
Old Apr 3, 2014, 07:52 PM   #6
poppe
macrumors 68020

TouchID has been amazing for me with the only exception being extreme cold and the TouchID App Purchase not always coming up - which is more annoying than it not unlocking.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 07:53 PM   #7
dakota747
macrumors newbie

5s > s5
dakota747 is offline   45 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2014, 07:55 PM   #8
goobot
macrumors 601

Give Samsung a break, they only had a few months to copy apple this time.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 07:55 PM   #9
dannyyankou
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by afsnyder View Post
So the S5 accuracy is pretty good but the tech is very inconvenient for the end user for that size device?
Correct. But on the S6, they'll probably allow you to place your fingerprint in any orientation and market it as a "new feature".
dannyyankou is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2014, 07:56 PM   #10
dugbug
macrumors 6502a

More touchID please. That iPhone tech really is all win.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 07:57 PM   #11
WestonHarvey1
macrumors 68000

My 5s Touch ID been broken for awhile, so I turned off the feature. I'll probably do a warranty swap before my year is up, but for now I'm back to my status quo - no passcode. Touch ID is only easier than no passcode when it works reliably.
WestonHarvey1 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2014, 08:04 PM   #12
taxiapple
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestonHarvey1 View Post
My 5s Touch ID been broken for awhile, so I turned off the feature. I'll probably do a warranty swap before my year is up, but for now I'm back to my status quo - no passcode. Touch ID is only easier than no passcode when it works reliably.
Mine stops working after a few days also. I've given upon it.

Last edited by taxiapple; Apr 3, 2014 at 09:15 PM.
taxiapple is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2014, 08:05 PM   #13
hlfway2anywhere
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestonHarvey1 View Post
You say that last thing as if it's Touch ID's fault for you not getting your phone serviced.
hlfway2anywhere is offline   44 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2014, 08:09 PM   #14
Quu
macrumors 68000

Pretty clear that Apple bought the best technology for this with their acquisition of the company that made it and Samsung is having to put together a solution using scraps of what's left.
Quu is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2014, 08:09 PM   #15
CrazyForApple
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to CrazyForApple
Since iOS 7.1, Touch ID is a lot better than before and to me beats Samsung by the touch
CrazyForApple is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2014, 08:13 PM   #16
fullauto
macrumors 6502a

Apple sure owns fingerprint recognition. TouchID PayPal payments would likely be an iOS 8 feature anyhoo.
fullauto is online now   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2014, 08:13 PM   #17
cdmoore74
macrumors 68000

One does not buy a phone for just the fingerprint scanner. Or do they?
cdmoore74 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2014, 08:14 PM   #18
jclo
Editor

Touch ID never really worked properly for me in the beginning, so much so that I considered turning it off. It's been a LOT better since iOS 7.1 was released.

Beforehand, I would need to put my thumb on the sensor multiple times for it to register, now it's almost always instantaneous. It never works right after washing my hands or when its cold, though. I still debate as to whether it's any better than a passcode, really, since that takes all of a couple seconds to enter, but it'll be an awesome feature when it can do stuff like authenticate payments (or replace my 1Password master password).
jclo is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2014, 08:16 PM   #19
The WOPR
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Samsung's S5 will also be compatible with PayPal
As the old saying goes, misery loves company.
The WOPR is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2014, 08:18 PM   #20
dannyyankou
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullauto View Post
Apple sure owns fingerprint recognition. TouchID PayPal payments would likely be an iOS 8 feature anyhoo.
Apple has been developing a mobile payment method, so we'll see. It would be awesome if you could use it with banking apps and purchases at stores too (iBeacon could come in handy for this).
dannyyankou is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2014, 08:22 PM   #21
vsighi
macrumors 6502

Also I want to comment that the new iPhone 6 will be the end of android phone
vsighi is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2014, 08:22 PM   #22
rovex
macrumors 65816

How did he turn the iphone on standby just by pressing two fingers on the screen at 3:40???
rovex is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2014, 08:22 PM   #23
spinedoc77
macrumors 601

I must say that after hating Apple's horrible fp sensor, with the new update it works awesome. I have not had a single issue with it since the iOS update. The S5 one looks weak, I don't think I'd want to be dropping my phone all the time trying to do that one handed.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 08:28 PM   #24
carjakester
macrumors 68020

So basically the s5 is a terrible attempt to copy touch id. Hmmm, what else is new?
Old Apr 3, 2014, 08:33 PM   #25
brucerb
macrumors newbie

Fade is still alive and causing trouble

"...Apple's Touch ID faced its own problems early on, including "fade," or the increasingly erratic performance of the fingerprint sensor over time. iOS 7.1, released in March, solved the issue..."

What evidence, beyond anecdotal, is there that 7.1 solved the fade issue? Apple's release notes only stated:" Improves Touch ID fingerprint recognition." Meanwhile there seems to be plenty of anecdotal evidence fade is NOT solved.

The "fade issue" is still there for me (sharp drop off in recognition starting on the second day after putting in "new fingers", twice per finger) and apparently also for at least one other commenter above. I might as well have bought a 5C (if I could ignore the aesthetics).

Yes, after giving 7.1 a few weeks I'm off to the Genius Bar soon to complain.
brucerb is offline   4 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion