Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thegrants82

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Right here
Just got this case about a few day ago. I gotta say I'm VERY impressed. I've had so many cases for my iPhone 5 including Speck Candyshell, Pixelskin HD, Incipio Frequency, Magpul Field Case, Belkin Grip Candy Sheer, Switcheasy Tones, Spigen Slim Armor, Neo Hybrid EX Slim and many other cheap cases from Amazon. This is THE BEST CASE out of all of them. Obviously, in terms of protection, there are better cases out there, but for my needs (scratches and occasional drops here and there)

Wow, you just named off hundreds of dollars of cases that you have bought and after just a few days you have stumbled across your grail? Lets just see how you feel after the honeymoon is over. I'm willing to guess that this isn't the first time that you have stumbled upon your grail case.....

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Wow, you just named off hundreds of dollars of cases that you have bought and after just a few days you have stumbled across your grail? Lets just see how you feel after the honeymoon is over. I'm willing to guess that this isn't the first time that you have stumbled upon your grail case.....

Me personally I cannot see accumulating cases. The iPhone 6 comes out and wham, someone wants the version with a bigger screen so sayona for those old cases.

thegrants82

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Right here
Me personally I cannot see accumulating cases. The iPhone 6 comes out and wham, someone wants the version with a bigger screen so sayona for those old cases.

I have been naked since the first iPhone and figure that I have saved about a grand by not buying cases and screen protectors. I just don't see the point in spending solo much money on ugly plastic cases, they are so over priced. What a scam.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009

It's very believable. Like dating, after going out with many women one becomes a better judge for what they are looking for. No joke. I've gone through just as many cases over many iPhone types and I've learned what case features don't work for me.

ntnwwnet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
I had 4-5 Magpul cases for my iPhone 4S. I liked it. However I think there are better options out there now.

The buttons weren't the best and it had flashback. I fixed the later with a sharpie. The exec version, the slimmest stretched out over a short time.

ntnwwnet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
Just got an email from Magpul that the Executive Field Case is now shipping. I'll update this post when it's on Amazon & eBay.

257_1371_popup.jpg

Jamalmartinez

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2014
D-town
great thread..i have been using a ringke fusion and have no issues fits great.. dropped my phone off a 3.5 foot counter and all was good no dents or scrathes.

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
I have been naked since the first iPhone and figure that I have saved about a grand by not buying cases and screen protectors. I just don't see the point in spending solo much money on ugly plastic cases, they are so over priced. What a scam.

I completely agree. That's why I've more or less settled on a Caudabe Veil for my case needs. I can still see my phone and it's not masked by glossy plastic. I do like the Luvvitt Clearview as well when I want more protection, but it just feels so slimy with accumulated hand grease. And that sentence just grossed me out.

cinematime

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2014
I use an Urban Armor Gear Scout (Black) on my 5s, it's weathered many drops and has worked great!

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
I agree with this. Had one for my iPhone 5 and it took like 10 drops and never really broke. In the end my phone looked immaculate even though the case lost the battle recently. I will certainly be getting another one for my iPhone 5s.

I had the Nude for the 4/4S and loved it. Since getting a 5S, I figured the new Nude would be another safe bet.

Not so.

They included covers/buttons over the Sleep/wake and volume buttons. The volume buttons work fine, however the cover on the sleep/wake just doesn't work. You have to really, really mash the button to register a button press, and after having the sleep/wake on my i4 die, I'm not going down that road again. I've tried modifying it and it improved, but I wouldn't call it successful.

I emailed SwitchEasy about this and they sent me a replacement, but the issue remained. The only thing I haven't done is just cut the buttons out.

Additionally, if there is any flash on the plug that goes into the headphone jack, the bottom cover doesn't fit flush.

:apple:

Personally, I use a Spigen Slim Armor S (the thinner Slim Armor), MIME Feather+ screen protector and when needed, a Lifeproof Fre (you -can- install it without removing the F+). Also a Casecrown slider occasionally.

I have a Tough Armor on order.

Those magpul cases are ugly, uncomfortable, and they're made by a gun manufacturer.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
I had the Nude for the 4/4S and loved it. Since getting a 5S, I figured the new Nude would be another safe bet.

Not so.

They included covers/buttons over the Sleep/wake and volume buttons. The volume buttons work fine, however the cover on the sleep/wake just doesn't work. You have to really, really mash the button to register a button press, and after having the sleep/wake on my i4 die, I'm not going down that road again. I've tried modifying it and it improved, but I wouldn't call it successful.

I emailed SwitchEasy about this and they sent me a replacement, but the issue remained. The only thing I haven't done is just cut the buttons out.

Additionally, if there is any flash on the plug that goes into the headphone jack, the bottom cover doesn't fit flush.

:apple:

Personally, I use a Spigen Slim Armor S (the thinner Slim Armor), MIME Feather+ screen protector and when needed, a Lifeproof Fre (you -can- install it without removing the F+). Also a Casecrown slider occasionally.

I have a Tough Armor on order.

Those magpul cases are ugly, uncomfortable, and they're made by a gun manufacturer.

Yeah, I hear what you're saying. But this is a thread about slim cases. Once we start talking about shock and drop protection, we've left the realm of cases that can truly be called slim.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Yeah, I hear what you're saying. But this is a thread about slim cases. Once we start talking about shock and drop protection, we've left the realm of cases that can truly be called slim.

I agree, but at the same time, why even use a case if it interferes with the basic function of the phone or worse, damages it (my concerns with the Nude)? I was trying to save people a couple bucks and some frustration.

None of the cases I use (Tough Armor hasn't arrived yet) are "leave the bottom and top open, feather thin", yet I wouldn't call any of them bulky.

ntnwwnet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
I agree, but at the same time, why even use a case if it interferes with the basic function of the phone or worse, damages it (my concerns with the Nude)? I was trying to save people a couple bucks and some frustration.

None of the cases I use (Tough Armor hasn't arrived yet) are "leave the bottom and top open, feather thin", yet I wouldn't call any of them bulky.

Have you tried the Caudabe Veil? It's very thin and has the bottom exposed.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005

This. If you want super thin, the Caudabe Veil can't be beat. Only thing is it sounds like that guy might need more protection. The Caudabe is literally for people who want something eggshell thin and don't want to mess up the feel of their phones.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA

This. If you want super thin, the Caudabe Veil can't be beat. Only thing is it sounds like that guy might need more protection. The Caudabe is literally for people who want something eggshell thin and don't want to mess up the feel of their phones.

This is exactly what I want to avoid, the bottom (or top) being totally open. I don't see the point of even putting a case on if so much of the phone is exposed.

I'm not klutz when it comes to tech, but there's reason why I am normally able to sell my phones for more than I paid for them when I get an upgrade.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
This is exactly what I want to avoid, the bottom (or top) being totally open. I don't see the point of even putting a case on if so much of the phone is exposed.

I'm not klutz when it comes to tech, but there's reason why I am normally able to sell my phones for more than I paid for them when I get an upgrade.

*shrug* different strokes for different folks. The point of an ultra thin is to protect the back, sides and edges from chips and scratches. I've been using a Veil since iPhone 5 and nary a chip or scratch anywhere. But most of all, I've been able to enjoy the look and slimness of the iPhone the entire time. That's why I use ultra thins.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
*shrug* different strokes for different folks. The point of an ultra thin is to protect the back, sides and edges from chips and scratches. I've been using a Veil since iPhone 5 and nary a chip or scratch anywhere. But most of all, I've been able to enjoy the look and slimness of the iPhone the entire time. That's why I use ultra thins.

Right, but one of your edges is totally exposed. Dare I say the most vulnerable one, since the bottom is where your ports are.

My Tough Armor did come. It's drastically smaller than an Otterbox, however in the world of slim cases, it's the last kid picked for the dodgeball team.

sophiamendezzz1

macrumors regular
May 20, 2014
Here's the thing, though: I don't really see how any case fits well with the white and gold theme, except for white or translucent cases.

For full-on protection, I'd rather go with the Case-Mate Naked Tough.
NxMxoGL.png

Or really any slim, transparent case like the Power Support Air Jacket (or Case-Mate Barely There, Spigen Ultra Slim Air and so forth or even something as light as the Spigen Incredible Shield).
31Dd8ypUgaL.jpg

wow I really like this case! Seems like it would offer a lot more protection too for being a pretty slim case.

----------

http://www.amazon.com/Pearl-White-V...01819509&sr=8-1&keywords=iphone+5s+case+verus

http://www.amazon.com/Clear-Verus-i...01819509&sr=8-2&keywords=iphone+5s+case+verus

I like the crystal mixx clear cover a lot. I go naked on my phone a lot so whatever looks the slimmest im into!

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
I was never fond of cases because I hate losing the "feeling" of the device and everything but a few days ago I randomly saw an ad for the "Chimpcase" on my FB feed and ordered it.

its really great, it feels just like the back of the iPhone and its so slim it feels like i still got only the skin i used to have on it. Dont really notice it at all and it fits tight.

fz2av9.jpg
2v1xbfd.jpg

fvzmlw.jpg
5S_chimpcase_white_top_1024x1024.png

Last edited:

ntnwwnet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
I was never fond of cases because I hate losing the "feeling" of the device and everything but a few days ago I randomly saw an ad for the "Chimpcase" on my FB feed and ordered it.

its really great, it feels just like the back of the iPhone and its so slim it feels like i still got only the skin i used to have on it. Dont really notice it at all and it fits tight.

fz2av9.jpg

Yeah that's a copy of the Caudabe Veil which is a copy of the Desmay. It's the best thin case I've found for the 5s.

toanavinai

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
I am curious how has it held up since you bought it? I love the way it looks and the designed in California. If it has survived a solid drop or two I'll get it which it looks like it should. Let me know and thanks for the suggestion.

Egads. I never saw this notification months ago. I truly don't log in enough as it is...

The case has held up fine! I think it still looks fairly nice - only a bit of minor wear on the corners. I've contemplated getting another color sometime just to change things up - otherwise I'm quite happy with this case.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
Yeah that's a copy of the Caudabe Veil which is a copy of the Desmay. It's the best thin case I've found for the 5s.

Yeah, I hate to be the voice of warning here, but I've tried pretty much all of the thin cases on the market. So far the only one I really "trust" (maybe too strong of a word for a discussion of iPhone cases) is the Caudabe Veil. Every other one, including the cheap eBay knockoffs to the Desmay, has had issues, usually regarding crappy fit but sometimes just a completely weird texture. And Caudabe is the only one that seems to actually stand behind their products with good customer service, even if you buy their stuff on places like Amazon. I've already gotten a couple of replacements several months after purchasing, which I find sort of amazing in this day and age where it seems to be "buyer beware" on everything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.