Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cook.675

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2011
hi i have a 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8 GB ram, 256 GB solid state drive running 10.9.1; its a 13" late 2009 MacBook serial # 450187NQFYN

If I get an apple TV, can this computer stream to the TV and do the mirror display on my TV? It certainly seems like it would be powerful enough but I wanted to be sure before I bought it.

I really want to know because I have a VERY nice sound set up; and if I hook up the computer to the TV via HDMI+3.5mm out to TV input (which would then feed to my receiver through the TV because apple doesn't do HDMI and sound in one cord) I would lose sound quality since the output from the macbook is mono;

any thoughts appreciated

thanks

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Plenty of power there, so that won't be an issue for you. Mirroring really isn't the best way to go though...It works, but I've always found it to be buggy.

I run all my devices to my ATV's using Air Video Server....This means that I can access and stream my 4TB+ collection from any device...Iphone, iPad etc. straight to my ATV's.

They all need to be sitting on the same wifi network, and AVS needs to be running on the device the media is stored on...Simple to set up, and works like a dream.

edjs

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2012
A 2009 Macbook will not support AirPlay mirroring - a 2011+ model is required.

The Apple TV can, however, access the iTunes library on the that 2009 Macbook, as long as iTunes is running.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.