Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

avoidandroid

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2013
Sprint is a complete joke with their 1G service lol. Yeah, unlimited data with their current data speed is silly, unless your one in a few million.

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
Four tower climbers working on Sprint cell towers died during 2013. The following article notes that Sprint is in a hurry and that 2013 was the busiest year in the cell tower climbing industry.

One guy (Sprint) fell off a water tower that had a Sprint cell site on the top of it. Be interesting to compare the accident rate before NV to now. The hard part is that some people are dying for a Sprint network that's still unusable in a lot of places!

http://www.propublica.org/article/feds-to-look-harder-at-cell-carriers-when-tower-climbers-die

So is the 5c and 5s the same bands as the gs4? I found a 5s for cheap and I'm considering buying it.

guessing it's something you don't wanna answer? I want to get a 5s but not if the data issue isn't fixed, my s4 works much better.

flxglr

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2014
guessing it's something you don't wanna answer? I want to get a 5s but not if the data issue isn't fixed, my s4 works much better.

The s4 has band 41, which is necessary for sprint spark. The iphone 5s/5c does not.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
If you are referring to me I didn't respond to that question of yours because I don't know. I'm sure a Google search comparing the two would give you the info you're looking for though.

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
The s4 has band 41, which is necessary for sprint spark. The iphone 5s/5c does not.

Are you sure? I think the original s4 doesn't come with that, maybe pure referring to the g2? I remember the g2? HTC max and another phone having the capability.

If you are referring to me I didn't respond to that question of yours because I don't know. I'm sure a Google search comparing the two would give you the info you're looking for though.

Thanks. I assumed since you gave a good reply the first time. Sprint iPhone 5s goes real cheap on eBay and Craigslist so I'll check into that.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
At this point anyone who stays with Sprint is getting what they deserve. Why anyone would take that horrible service is beyond me. Especially when other companies like TMo are buying you out of contracts.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
e9ema4as.jpg

I keep Boost Mobile (Sprint subsidiary) because it works really well in the country rural areas I visit outside of San Antonio.

Though for the $30 I pay, it's worth it for me.

ZacUSNYR

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
Atleast it's unlimited right? lol I pay $80 a month (AT&T with post office discount) for two lines (10 gb shared with 4 lines, combined with my parents who pay the other half + their next charges).

I had Sprint, i'll never have Sprint again.

flxglr

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2014

I keep Boost Mobile (Sprint subsidiary) because it works really well in the country rural areas I visit outside of San Antonio.

Though for the $30 I pay, it's worth it for me.

Do you have any experience with Boost/Sprint inside San Antonio? I posted my results a few pages back, but I'm curious to see how your experience has been. Also, what rural towns are you referring to?

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Do you have any experience with Boost/Sprint inside San Antonio? I posted my results a few pages back, but I'm curious to see how your experience has been. Also, what rural towns are you referring to?

I absolutely abhor Sprint/Boost inside San Antonio. It's why I have a secondary line with T-Mobile.

The small rural towns include:

Bulverde
Hondo
Castroville
Bandera
Kerville
Pleasanton
And other assorted small areas between.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
I used 7gb this month of data (enjoy your caps from other carriers)

PS: when will this stupid topic die?

Honestly I'd rather have a cap w/ reliable service as oppose to unlimited with very spotty service. Different strokes for different folks.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
/sarcasm

OMG! Apparently 41% of accepted LTE sites qualifies as a market launch! So…Sprint announced the Phoenix market as launched today. What a joke!

LTE showed up here in August of last year and as of yet I have still to get under -90dpbm. And the ONLY reason I ever had anything less than -100 is because I was frigging close to a tower!

You will note that -96dpbm is considered fringe LTE signal and that my iPhone 5 is routinely between -112 to -120! That's two bars, max.

What's laughable is that between last month and this month on s4gru.com's market rollout thread, Phoenix increased 1% in accepted LTE towers. ONE PERCENT!

Come on refund! T-Mobile is calling! /sarcasm

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/4glte-launchedmarkets.htm
http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/212-network-visionlte-deployment-running-list/?p=145628

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
I had sprint in High School. I remember sending text messages that would take 30 minutes to be delivered. Might as well have sent it via USPS. :D

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
so today i chatted with sprint about my slow data at work.

Customer: my phone says 3G all the time

Customer: where i work

Christian C: Does that give you any error or error code?

Customer: the data is very slow

Customer: unusable

Christian C: But it does work, right?

Customer: unusable means does not work

is this guy serious? who the hell does sprint hire there.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
so today i chatted with sprint about my slow data at work.

Customer: my phone says 3G all the time

Customer: where i work

Christian C: Does that give you any error or error code?

Customer: the data is very slow

Customer: unusable

Christian C: But it does work, right?

Customer: unusable means does not work

is this guy serious? who the hell does sprint hire there.
You have to understand the culture at Sprint. It's a promise everything, CYA, lie through your teeth type culture.

The reps are judged on how many positive surveys they bring in, and not on how many problems they solved or customers they helped. Store reps are further judged based on the volume of stuff they sell.

If you've just been promised the world by Sprint you are more likely to fill out that customer survey at the end positively. It doesn't matter that Sprint lied to you. It's the positive survey that matters. The one that once you submit it can't be retracted.

Add to all of this corporate's decision at one point during the Network Vision rollout. Corporate decided that they were going to lose a certain amount of customers due to network problems and issues. So, the word was passed down to the reps that customer retention or appeasing the customer was NOT a priority. This is why a lot of the reps now could care less if you threaten to leave. They won't do anything to try and keep you.

Additionally, over 4000 CSR jobs were just cut earlier this year. So, what you're going to be left with the people that adhere most to this culture, because that culture is how you survive and get promoted within Sprint.

This is probably going to be changing soon since Masayoshi Son seems to be cleaning house. But it may take awhile before it gets down to this level.

BTW, none of this is in any way meant to defend Sprint and it's policies (and it's braindead CSRs). It's just an explanation of what's happening behind the scenes.

Joybulb

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2011
You have to understand the culture at Sprint. It's a promise everything, CYA, lie through your teeth type culture.

How do you know all this? Previous employee?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

How do you know all this? Previous employee?
No. I've never been employed by Sprint. But, I am a 15 year customer. I've had my own share of customer service fails (I was on hold once for over three hours) and I've been on numerous Sprint forums and read other people's accounts over the years. You can also get an idea of what's going on when you look through the Sprint news on Google.

There are also a fair amount of ex-employee Sprint blogs where you can read the details of how things went down for those employees.

Lastly, I've had numerous Sprint CSRs over the years, both currently employed or ex-employees confirm my statements over the years. If you think Sprint corporate sucks, you should see how Sprint treats it's third party affiliates. The very people who sell the brand for Sprint and get the shaft when it comes to corporate supporting them! Which is not to say that the third party stores are better. They are often far worse than corporate stores because they have to go much farther to get from Sprint or give to Sprint what a corporate store already has or has to do.

It's all out there if you look for it.

Last edited:

bwsteg

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2012
Queens NY
As I mentioned before, I've been with Sprint for 10+ years and recently switched to Verizon. The service is tremendous with Verizon, LTE everywhere.

I had 4 lines with Sprint, 3 still under contract ala ETF. I was able to get sprint to waive these fees with no hassle...

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
As I mentioned before, I've been with Sprint for 10+ years and recently switched to Verizon. The service is tremendous with Verizon, LTE everywhere.

I had 4 lines with Sprint, 3 still under contract ala ETF. I was able to get sprint to waive these fees with no hassle...

How did you get the eft waived ??

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
Anyone using Spotify for free for the 6 months?
I just added to my account and its amazing. I am ditching itunes

I actually prefer Beats Music. Interface is cleaner, great curation, and Apple will own it soon. Spotify interface is too cluttered.

Joybulb

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2011
No. I've never been employed by Sprint. But, I am a 15 year customer. I've had my own share of customer service fails (I was on hold once for over three hours) and I've been on numerous Sprint forums and read other people's accounts over the years. You can also get an idea of what's going on when you look through the Sprint news on Google.

There are also a fair amount of ex-employee Sprint blogs where you can read the details of how things went down for those employees.

Lastly, I've had numerous Sprint CSRs over the years, both currently employed or ex-employees confirm my statements over the years. If you think Sprint corporate sucks, you should see how Sprint treats it's third party affiliates. The very people who sell the brand for Sprint and get the shaft when it comes to corporate supporting them! Which is not to say that the third party stores are better. They are often far worse than corporate stores because they have to go much farther to get from Sprint or give to Sprint what a corporate store already has or has to do.

It's all out there if you look for it.

Yea I've been w/ them for 12 + years and prettying know how to handle them when I call, but some of your previous statement will help for sure. I'll def keep this stuff in mind

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
Just want to go on record and say the new Sprint commercials are absolutely horrible. Hamsters and cartoon birds? Wow!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.