Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 4, 2014, 11:49 AM   #26
bbeagle
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOrchestra View Post
REALLY - Apple TV continues to be an EPIC disappointment to many of us.
REALLY - Apple TV continues to be an amazing device to many of us.
bbeagle is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2014, 11:50 AM   #27
Dave.UK
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumastudetto View Post
Fire TV is just a rush first to market type product that will fail epic style.
This argument is tired and boring now. Its the same argument for every product that comes out. Ive summarised below.

Before Apple
- The product is rushed trying to be first to market.

After Apple
- They have copied Apple.
Dave.UK is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2014, 11:51 AM   #28
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy View Post
why? The 'n' (or even 'g') is more than fast enough for any streaming purposes, and 'n' has got all that mimo goodness. What operational benefit do you think you'd get from having 'ac'?
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-03-28 at 7.54.59 AM.png
Views:	69
Size:	527.4 KB
ID:	467422
gmanist1000 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2014, 11:54 AM   #29
mantan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHonkingDeal View Post
I have been saying the same about SIRI for a long time.....
Yeah, Apple fans deriding a product for poor voice control is laughable. It can't possibly be worse than Siri.

Now if Apple or Amazon could get the high accuracy voice control that Google's app has, these devices could get going....
mantan is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2014, 11:54 AM   #30
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Verge review gives it 8.8/10

http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/4/558...fire-tv-review
Old Apr 4, 2014, 11:55 AM   #31
Roniniku
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgiguere1 View Post
Yeah, my perception of Amazon is probably not the same as an American.

In Canada, Amazon.ca is nowhere as popular as Amazon.com in the US. They have a very poor product selection and prices aren't particularly good. We always get products like Kindles very late and I've yet to see a Kindle Fire in the wild, or find any person who subscribes to Amazon Prime.

But from what I understand Amazon is really big in the US, so people might buy this set-top box just because they already have an Amazon Prime subscription.
Speak for yourself there Monsieur Poutine. Kindles came out on the same day and many, many, many people use Prime in Canada, both for streaming via VPN and shipping to package pick-up shops (but not in Quebec perhaps). If you are going to speak for Canada then get your facts straight.....and be in Canada.
Roniniku is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2014, 11:56 AM   #32
Xultar
macrumors 6502a

I'm confused as to why anyone would need one of these. There are apps for streaming stuff on everything, DVR, Blue - Ray, DVD, TV... and they mostly stream all the same stuff.

Unless, content providers are going to stop giving their Apps out to OEM and then we're going to end up with a whole bunch of little boxes under our TVs. IF that is where we're headed god help us.
Xultar is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2014, 11:56 AM   #33
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantan View Post
Yeah, Apple fans deriding a product for poor voice control is laughable. It can't possibly be worse than Siri.

Now if Apple or Amazon could get the high accuracy voice control that Google's app has, these devices could get going....
So if Apple has something that is not great, we're not allowed to criticize anyone else for also having something not great? I never said Apple's search is better. In fact I said Apple shouldn't release an updated ATV if they haven't figured out search yet.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 11:57 AM   #34
Dave.UK
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Compared to 7.8/10 for Apple Tv.
Dave.UK is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2014, 11:59 AM   #35
bpcookson
macrumors 6502

Quote:
As I said days ago, there's a reason why Apple hasn't launched App Store on Apple TV: they still haven't figured out how to deliver the rich experience we demand. Fire TV is just a rush first to market type product that will fail epic style.
That's not fair to Amazon. I think we have a real competitor here and I'm glad to see it. Hopefully the gaming experience for Amazon's box drives quality gaming on the as-yet-unreleased Apple TV App Store.
bpcookson is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2014, 11:59 AM   #36
wwchris
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanist1000 View Post
Umm... Nice pic, now explain why you think it would be a benefit to Fire TV. FYI, it has a similar dual antenna wifi set up to Apple's much more expensive iPad Air which doesn't have AC either.
wwchris is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2014, 12:01 PM   #37
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xultar View Post
I'm confused as to why anyone would need one of these.
Well millions of AppleTV, Roku and other streaming devices can think of a reason why they need one.

And since there are still plenty of people without one, I am pretty sure there's a market or all of these companies would just stop selling them

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpcookson View Post
That's not fair to Amazon. I think we have a real competitor here and I'm glad to see it. Hopefully the gaming experience for Amazon's box drives quality gaming on the as-yet-unreleased Apple TV App Store.
Do not expect fairness from that poster. Ever.
samcraig is online now   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2014, 12:03 PM   #38
dumastudetto
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.UK View Post
This argument is tired and boring now. Its the same argument for every product that comes out. Ive summarised below.

Before Apple

After Apple
Not at all. But in this case the negative reviews back up my opinion.

I truly wish I could be more positive about this device. But I can't see any of the huge numbers of Apple TV owners buying into Fire TV. There is no compelling reason to do so.
dumastudetto is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2014, 12:04 PM   #39
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Is the Amazon Prime selection of quality programming even worse than Netflix? I find that hard to believe, since the selection on Netflix is pretty abysmal.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 12:04 PM   #40
HenryDJP
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunyabinez View Post
Seems like they're nitpicking to me.
Oh come on. That's all this forum does is nitpick Apple when they don't get it perfect every time. This issue with Amazon's machine is legit and it should be mentioned and covered all over several sites on the internet....or did you want them to remain hush hush about Amazon's imperfect machine so it may continue to upstage the Apple TV?
HenryDJP is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2014, 12:04 PM   #41
dumastudetto
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpcookson View Post
There's nothing wrong with wishful thinking as long as you can separate it from the reality. Competition is good. But I just don't see the Fire TV as a serious competitor to the fully baked Apple TV experience.
dumastudetto is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2014, 12:05 PM   #42
Dave.UK
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Not at all. But in this case the negative reviews back up my opinion.

I truly wish I could be more positive about this device. But I can't see any of the huge numbers of Apple TV owners buying into Fire TV. There is no compelling reason to do so.
Negative reviews? Its scored higher then the Apple TV in reviews.

Why do you think this is purely aimed at Apple TV owners? You do realise how huge Amazon and their customer database is dont you?
Old Apr 4, 2014, 12:07 PM   #43
Gudi
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Due to the extreme limitations of Voice Search, browsing through Netflix -- where you'll probably spend most of your time, considering Amazon's rather limited library of quality movies for free streaming -- is, once again, manual labor.
Imagine Steve Ballmer jumping up and down a stage: „Content, Content, Content, Content, Content, Content“

What does it help -- if voice search perfectly understands what you are looking for -- if that just isn't there? To win the future of TV, Amazons own media store must win the content war. Otherwise its no more than another Netflix box.
Gudi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2014, 12:07 PM   #44
MarkNY
macrumors regular

It seems that Apple thinks releasing an updated Apple TV is pointless until agreements are reached with Comcast/TWC for the device to replace cable boxes.

I must say I hate my TWC cable box interface, and the Xbox One overlay isn't the answer.
MarkNY is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2014, 12:08 PM   #45
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Compared to 7.8/10 for Apple Tv.
Let's see what Apple does this year with ATV. When Cook says it's become more than a hobby then something must be cooking.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 12:09 PM   #46
dumastudetto
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Negative reviews? Its scored higher then the Apple TV in reviews.

Why do you think this is purely aimed at Apple TV owners? You do realise how huge Amazon and their customer database is dont you?
It's not aimed purely at Apple TV owners obviously. But whenever you launch a new device, it's normal to compare it to the current market leader.

Amazon is a huge retailer but they have really only succeeded selling digital books so far. Apple is a million miles ahead of them in terms of Music, TV and Movies.
dumastudetto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2014, 12:09 PM   #47
longofest
Editor emeritus

Send a message via AIM to longofest
software issues can be fixed via a free update. There's no free update for an underpowered hardware experience.

Of the issues to have, this is the more preferable.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 12:11 PM   #48
Dave.UK
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Let's see what Apple does this year with ATV. When Cook says it's become more than a hobby then something must be cooking.
Its always the same old "Well lets see what Apple do" argument when a product better then theirs come out.

Ok, well lets see what the Fire 2 does when the comes out........
Old Apr 4, 2014, 12:11 PM   #49
MacVsMic
macrumors newbie

Dave.UK Hit The Nail On The Head!

Quote:

Before Apple

After Apple
It's so strange and laughable in the same how people get so upset when Apple the "Pioneers" of technology don't get a product to market first!! I own every :Apple device known to man and I'm certainly not biased or upset with this fantastic product, AMAZON HIT THE MARK!! Pay homage where it's due and stop crying like babies... Apple TV has lagged behind this growing market in more ways than I can count..

Dave is on par with this statement!
MacVsMic is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2014, 12:12 PM   #50
Dave.UK
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
It's not aimed purely at Apple TV owners obviously. But whenever you launch a new device, it's normal to compare it to the current market leader.

Amazon is a huge retailer but they have really only succeeded selling digital books so far. Apple is a million miles ahead of them in terms of Music, TV and Movies.
Where do you get that the Apple TV is a market leader? Anything to back that up?

Are you forgetting the recently re-branded LoveFilm which Amazon own? Does Apple have its own streaming service?
Dave.UK is offline   3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion