Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Verlaine

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2014
Ipod 5 shows me what an Iphone 5 would be like

I have several android devices and presently a galaxy note 2. I own an ipad 4 but always wondered what it would be like to have an iphone. I still have money owing on my galaxy note 2 so I can't just change it to try iphone. My reason for buying an ipod is because it is an amazing pocket sized music player. There was a problem though, when listening to music, I didn't hear my phone. :(
Being the creative person I am....I installed Fongo app, and forward all of my phone calls and text messages to my ipod. Now it's a skinny iphone! I can make and receive calls. When I am out of the house, I tether it with the data from my galaxy note 2 (which I leave tucked in my purse). I still make and receive all calls and text and emails etc. It does not use very much data anyways.
After spending 2 weeks using my ipod as my phone, I think when the iphone 6 comes out, and my galaxy note contract is done, I am switching to the simplicity of IOS.

That's just my 2 cents. Ipod gave me the chance to try something I could have not otherwise tried out.

J. J.

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
Do you think 6th gen. iPod touch will have Touch ID? Or will it be kept only on the top-gamma iPhone?

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Do you think 6th gen. iPod touch will have Touch ID? Or will it be kept only on the top-gamma iPhone?

With the relatively low production cost of Touch ID, and the great functionality of the Touch ID compared to competing fingerprint sensors, I'm sure Apple wants to get Touch ID into as many of its products as possible. Your question depends on how much the production cost of Touch ID decreases, and the demand vs the number of Touch ID production lines. Right now, only the iPhone 5S has Touch ID. The iPhone 6s, 6c, iPad Air, and iPad mini all are higher than the iPod touch on Apple's Touch ID priority list. The main question is if Apple will have enough Touch ID production lines to meet demand.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
First off

Apple did nothing to update the iPod touch last Fall when it was already one generation of processor behind. Now come fall, if it is not updated, it will be three behind. This means they're catching it up to an A7, being really awesome and giving it an A8 alongside the iPhone and iPads, they're going to be stupid and give it an A6, or:

They're just going to kill it entirely. Let's think about this for a second, iPhones are now on all four major US carriers, and the list of supported carriers world-wide grows each year. Most children are being given smartphones now where they weren't in years past, and few of the iPhone's massive customer base are buying the iPhone out of contract (and that's relative to the customer base as a whole). There's little reason for Apple to keep the iPod touch around as the iPhone does everything it does, but with (soon-to-be) three-generation's newer hardware.

Trust me, I am a devout fan of the iPod touch; capacity aside, it is their best iPod ever, and I'm not at all happy about doomsaying its future. But the iPod line is selling less and less overall, and at some point, it'll make sense for them to consolidate into a single iPod (call it the seventh generation iPod [where the iPod with video was fifth and the iPod classic was sixth] if you want) that has touch screen controls, 128-256GB of flash storage, at least a 3.5" touch screen, maybe enough connectivity (wifi) to allow iTunes Radio and call it a day until that model dies out however many years thereafter.

It sort of doesn't make sense to have an iPhone-minus-the-phone that is THAT crippled and THAT stripped down relative to current hardware, especially with iPod sales figures being what they are today.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
They're just going to kill it entirely.

Your reasoning is sound, but I really doubt they are going to kill it. Here's why:

The iPod Touch is a GREAT introduction to the iOS platform.

It's the most affordable iOS device. It requires no contract, no expensive financing. It's great for kids, who then grow up to become iPhone customers.

The iPod Touch doesn't cost much to make, and even if they don't sell that many, every single customer is a potential future iPhone customer. I know several people who at one point in the past had a dumb-phone and bought an iPod Touch, then some time afterwards, upgraded to the iPhone to combine the devices.

I just can't see Apple taking such a stepping-stone product off the market. I'll gladly eat my hat if I'm wrong.

--iPhone user who go introduced to iOS with an iPod Touch

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Your reasoning is sound, but I really doubt they are going to kill it. Here's why:

It's the most affordable iOS device. It requires no contract, no expensive financing. It's great for kids, who then grow up to become iPhone customers.

The iPod Touch doesn't cost much to make, and even if they don't sell that many, every single customer is a potential future iPhone customer. I know several people who at one point in the past had a dumb-phone and bought an iPod Touch, then some time afterwards, upgraded to the iPhone to combine the devices.

I just can't see Apple taking such a stepping-stone product off the market. I'll gladly eat my hat if I'm wrong.

Everyone I know that has had an iPod Touch now has an iPhone or is itching to get the new one.

In fact, my cousin wants an iPhone but can't wait til iPhone 6 to get the larger screen and it actually considering the GS5...

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2002
New England
iPod touch will not be killed, for the sole reason it doesn't cost the customer any money each month to use. This is great for people who are not interested in the phone feature.

I think it will be embraced even more once people realize they can call other apple devices with the FaceTime audio feature. no need for cell coverage. just wifi

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
As carriers start phasing out subsides, demand will go up for the Touch (if it's upgraded) when people see how much an iPhone actually cost.

Doubt it. People don't want a device that relies on WiFi for connectivity. That's a big minus. Also the cost of phone ownership has dropped over the past year thanks to t mobile.

Last edited:

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Doubt it. People don't want a device that relies on WiFi for connectivity. That's a big minus. Also the cost of phone ownership has dropped over the past year thanks to t mobile.

The cost has not dropped anywhere close to the cost of a Touch. Connectivity cost has gone down but you still have to pay for a full cost iPhone (even though you can buy it in installments).

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA

This is out-dated rhetoric and it also doesn't hold especially since the cheapest iPod touch (which customers are inherently incentivized not to get, in favor of its higher-end colored and rear-camera-laden siblings) is only $70 cheaper than the cheapest iPad mini. The colored rear-camera-laden iPod touches start at the same price that the iPad mini line starts at. Also, it's 2014, who needs an introduction to the iOS platform?

Again, this rhetoric held true a few years back, but not so much anymore. These days, a vast majority of phones sold are smartphones and a vast majority of parents are giving their kids iPhones (albeit older ones).

The iPod touch has more or less prevented me from getting an iPhone. I have zero need for an iPhone when I can have an Android phone, AND an iPod touch.

In any event, the iPhone is vastly outselling the iPod touch, so I don't think Apple really needs the iPod touch to serve as an iOS halo product.

In 2007, it was a stepping stone product. In 2008, through 2010 even, it was a stepping stone product. In 2014, the whole iPod line (touch included) is seeing declining sales figures. The iPod touch succeeded at getting people to buy iPhones and now people buy iPhones instead of iPods.

iPod touch will not be killed, for the sole reason it doesn't cost the customer any money each month to use. This is great for people who are not interested in the phone feature.

I don't think as many of these people exist anymore as you think. Most people have a smartphone, and whether it is an Android phone or an iPhone, it has features comparable or equivalent or better than any iPod touch that has ever been released to date.

I think it will be embraced even more once people realize they can call other apple devices with the FaceTime audio feature. no need for cell coverage. just wifi

This has been the case since 2010, four years have passed and the general public, to my knowledge has never been all that hip to this, at least not where the iPod touch is concerned. With the iPad and Mac maybe, but not the iPod touch.

The cost has not dropped anywhere close to the cost of a Touch. Connectivity cost has gone down but you still have to pay for a full cost iPhone (even though you can buy it in installments).

Subsidized contracts. Totally a thing in some places.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Yep but they are trending away.

Even with subsidies, you can buy multiple iPod Touch's for the cost of an iPhone and iPhone cell service over 2 years.

They're not trending away for iPhone customers, not by a long shot. Also, are we really thinking Apple is going to pump more love into the iPod touch line when they are allowing a whole year to pass where the iPod touch is (a) not updated and (b) running a processor that is TWO generations behind the most technologically advanced iPhone and ONE generation behind the iPhone of yesteryear?

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
They're not trending away for iPhone customers, not by a long shot. Also, are we really thinking Apple is going to pump more love into the iPod touch line when they are allowing a whole year to pass where the iPod touch is (a) not updated and (b) running a processor that is TWO generations behind the most technologically advanced iPhone and ONE generation behind the iPhone of yesteryear?

Who knows what Apple will do but they will either update the Touch to an A7 by spring or they will discontinue the Touch at that time.

Note - The Touch was on a every other year upgrade schedule so nobody expected one last year.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Who knows what Apple will do but they will either update the Touch to an A7 by spring or they will discontinue the Touch at that time.

Note - The Touch was on a every other year upgrade schedule so nobody expected one last year.

The iPod touch historically was updated annually until 2011. The every-other-year trend may still hold, but at this point, there's not enough data to assume it's even a trend, especially when Tim Cook has more-or-less publically admitted that iPods are a declining business.

That said, I don't know how you can be so certain that they'll update it to the A7 if they're updating it at all. For all we know, it didn't get A6 in 2012 because the thinner body couldn't deal with heat and for all we know, it didn't get the A7 because Apple is just riding it out until they kill all iPods. Similarly, for all we know, it gets an A8 (perhaps a weaker one) in the fall. Hard to say for sure. But it getting any substantial update doesn't look good and with the iPhone market expanding to more people each year, there's little reason why it still needs to be a "gateway product to iOS".

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
The iPod touch historically was updated annually until 2011. The every-other-year trend may still hold, but at this point, there's not enough data to assume it's even a trend, especially when Tim Cook has more-or-less publically admitted that iPods are a declining business.

That said, I don't know how you can be so certain that they'll update it to the A7 if they're updating it at all. For all we know, it didn't get A6 in 2012 because the thinner body couldn't deal with heat and for all we know, it didn't get the A7 because Apple is just riding it out until they kill all iPods. Similarly, for all we know, it gets an A8 (perhaps a weaker one) in the fall. Hard to say for sure. But it getting any substantial update doesn't look good and with the iPhone market expanding to more people each year, there's little reason why it still needs to be a "gateway product to iOS".

IOS 9 (fall 2015) will require 64 bits (will only run on an A7 or better). If you don't see a Touch upgrade to an A7 or better by spring 2015, they will discontinue the Touch. The predicted Touch upgrade was the 32/64GB this fall and the 16GB in spring 2015. One analyst thinks that, with the iWatch and everything else this fall, Apple will delay the 32/64GB Touch 6 till spring 2015 and release it with the 16GB Touch 6.

I don't believe most people think the Touch is still a gateway product but, even with 1-2% sales, that's still a lot of money for Apple. Many people will not buy an iPhone (lots of people have android phones + iPod Touch's) and that's money lost for Apple if they discontinue the Touch.

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
The every-other-year trend may still hold, but at this point, there's not enough data to assume it's even a trend

Exactly. The "every-other-year trend" only happened once, with the 5th gen in 2012. It was never a trend. No one knows what Apple will do next with the iPod touch.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
IOS 9 (fall 2015) will require 64 bits (will only run on an A7 or better). If you don't see a Touch upgrade to an A7 or better by spring 2015, they will discontinue the Touch. The predicted Touch upgrade was the 32/64GB this fall and the 16GB in spring 2015. One analyst thinks that, with the iWatch and everything else this fall, Apple will delay the 32/64GB Touch 6 till spring 2015 and release it with the 16GB Touch 6.

I don't believe most people think the Touch is still a gateway product but, even with 1-2% sales, that's still a lot of money for Apple. Many people will not buy an iPhone (lots of people have android phones + iPod Touch's) and that's money lost for Apple if they discontinue the Touch.

There's nothing to support what you just said as most of it simply mimicks what Apple did with the fourth generation iPod touch with the assumption that they'll do that every year. Remember that what they've done with the fifth generation iPod touch is different from what they've done with the fourth generation iPod touch and there's not enough data to assume that they'll do the same thing next go-around. The 16GB model of current was only brought in to replace the fourth generation iPod touch while allowing whatever device was in that price point to be able to run iOS 7.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
There's nothing to support what you just said as most of it simply mimicks what Apple did with the fourth generation iPod touch with the assumption that they'll do that every year. Remember that what they've done with the fifth generation iPod touch is different from what they've done with the fourth generation iPod touch and there's not enough data to assume that they'll do the same thing next go-around. The 16GB model of current was only brought in to replace the fourth generation iPod touch while allowing whatever device was in that price point to be able to run iOS 7.

I would say that there is also nothing supporting all the comments you have been making. Does that make your comments incorrect ?

Exactly. The "every-other-year trend" only happened once, with the 5th gen in 2012. It was never a trend. No one knows what Apple will do next with the iPod touch.

One thing you can guarantee is that Apple will not sell a Touch that doesn't run the latest IOS. The consensus is that IOS9 (fall 2015) will require 64 bit devices which means an A7 or better. Apple would also release a new Touch (if they plan on updating) months before IOS9 because people would get upset if Apple came out with an IOS that would not run on a Touch they bought the week before. Nobody but Apple knows for sure but, Apple will release a new Touch by next spring or they will stop selling the Touch.

Last edited:

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I would say that there is also nothing supporting all the comments you have been making. Does that make your comments incorrect ?

No, but you state your predictions as facts. I do not do the same with mine. Obviously no one outside of Apple can be 100% certain of the future of the iPod touch product line.

One thing you can guarantee is that Apple will not sell a Touch that doesn't run the latest IOS.

Again, I can't guarantee this or anything, nor can you; but I will agree that this is a very safe bet. That said, it is a moot point if they stop selling it altogether.

The consensus is that IOS9 (fall 2015) will require 64 bit devices which means an A7 or better.

Consensus among whom? With what data? With which analyst predictions? Usually it's helpful to support claims with facts or citations.

Apple would also release a new Touch (if they plan on updating) months before IOS9 because people would get upset if Apple came out with an IOS that would not run on a Touch they bought the week before. Nobody but Apple knows for sure but, Apple will release a new Touch by next spring or they will stop selling the Touch.

Again, I think that's a safe bet, but not a guarantee. It would be an incredibly tasteless move for them to still sell the iPod touch but not support the latest OS on it. That said, it isn't inconceivable that they'll drop it entirely this fall while granting the current generation iOS 8 as its last major OS.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
No, but you state your predictions as facts. I do not do the same with mine. Obviously no one outside of Apple can be 100% certain of the future of the iPod touch product line.

You can choose to read my predictions as facts but nothing is final till Apple releases it ;).

I do feel positive predicting (if you like that word better) that Apple will release a new Touch (with at least an A7) by this spring or will cancel the Touch. Currently, I give it a 90+% chance that Apple will update the Touch rather than canceling it.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
You can choose to read my predictions as facts but nothing is final till Apple releases it ;).

When you use words like "guarantee" and "is" and phrases like "it will" you are stating them as facts. That's just linguistics right there. I'm not viewing your word as facts at all; I'm viewing your view of your word as though you think it is fact.

I do feel positive predicting (if you like that word better) that Apple will release a new Touch (with at least an A7) by this spring or will cancel the Touch. Currently, I give it a 90+% chance that Apple will update the Touch rather than canceling it.

Predicting is a more accurate word.

Anyway, I am sure that this time last year, there was little doubt that Apple would update the iPod touch that fall. Didn't happen. Similarly, at this point in time, there's little need or reason for them to produce the iPod touch or any other iPod for that matter (save for maybe the iPod classic as it is still able to hold more music than any model of iPhone). And even Tim Cook has publically admitted that the iPod is a declining market (read: PEOPLE AREN'T BUYING THEM ANYMORE). So I ask again, what reason do they have to do anything other than drop it?

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Anyway, I am sure that this time last year, there was little doubt that Apple would update the iPod touch that fall. Didn't happen.

You must have been one of the few who thought there would be an update last fall :D. If you look back through my postings before last fall, I claimed that there would be no Touch design update in fall 2013, almost everyone agreed with me, and there was no design update.

You are only looking at the Touch percentage and not how much money that percentage actually is. I can't see Apple abandoning all that revenue by canceling the Touch.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.