Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gregger84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2013
I have a Mid-2007 20 inch iMac that has been running on 2GB of memory since I bought it. Recently I decided to upgrade the memory, and purhased 2x 2GB PC2-5300 667MHZ DDR2 Sdram from Amazon, which I am 99% certain is what I required (Apple's website doesn't sell memory for my desktop anymore, but a few months ago this is what it told me I needed).

Anyway, when I remove the 2x 1GB ram and replace it with the 2x 2GB ram, I hear the chime but there is no display whatsoever. So there are 3 possibilities in my mind:

1) what I purchased is faulty
2) I bought the wrong type of RAM
3) I'm an idiot and installed it wrong

Option 3 is least likely, because while I AM an idiot sometimes, I installed it exactly the same as I removed it. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I'd love to hear them. Thanks, guys.

Gregger84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2013
Yeah, I've done that a few times already. Thankfully the 2x 1GB still works, i was just hoping to make it a bit faster.

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
Sounds like the right stuff, assuming it's non-ECC and unbuffered.

Have you tried to establish whether you've been unlucky and received one duff chip? They don't *need* to be paired, so it's easy enough to work out if either one is bad, or if one slot doesn't want to play.

This thread might be your friend (albeit the bearer of bad news)...
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2172142

Gregger84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2013
Try the new sticks one at a time.

This actually worked for me, thank you. I don't know why I didn't think of this on my own, but my system is already running much smoother with just 1GB more than before. Thanks again, everyone.

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
So have you established that one of the new chips is bad, or is it that your computer just won't accept both of them at the same time?

Gregger84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2013
So have you established that one of the new chips is bad, or is it that your computer just won't accept both of them at the same time?

It just didn't accept them both at the same time. Both chips work fine when installed one at a time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.