Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

larswik

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
I am still running 10.8 but sent an app to a friend that is running 10.9 and it did not work. It looks like Apple finally did away with the QuickTime Framework. My app scans a drive and creates a NSTableView with poster frames of the videos and can play the video in a QT view.

Doing research yesterday everything is done with AV Foundations from 10.9 and on. I found this Apple youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCiZW2xW4Ks that explains things pretty good, but was wondering if anyone could recommend any good sites that have clear tutorials I could work through to better help me grasp AV Foundations.

Thanks.

SDDave2007

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2007
Apple is no longer accepting ANY submissions that depend on the QuickTime framework, causing many developers to scramble to change code.

Last edited by a moderator:

larswik

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
It seems that they have introduced a framework called AVPlayerView in 10.9. This seems to make things easier to play back the movie files. But from what I was seeing reading Apple won't allow any app submissions with QT Frame work. So to make any apps backwards compatible would be imposable. Seems like they really want to put QT as far behind them as they can as of 10.9

Madd the Sane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
Utah
Apple has been aggressive on deprecating functions and classes on 10.9, including QTKit, GLUT, and others. Reading the release notes can help you learn what Apple has done, such as removing OpenTransport.

Although there is one API in QTKIt that isn't deprecated: a function that converts a file that uses an old codec to an AVFoundation-compatible file/container.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.