Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 4, 2014, 04:48 PM   #26
star-affinity
macrumors 6502

What about the Neonode patent for slide to unlock?

http://www.dailytech.com/Analysis+Ne...ticle24046.htm
star-affinity is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2014, 04:49 PM   #27
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by redscull View Post
Not ruined. But definitely backtracked in areas. Hopefully iOS 8 will be a unilateral step forward. Maybe even as good as iOS 6!

Where's the quote from Tim Cook stating that usability is no longer a goal because they think they've already succeeded in teaching everyone how to use a mobile device? Let's hope Apple never has to acquire new first-time customers or that new people are ever born.
How is it then that my 72 year old mother uses iOS 7 just fine yet prior to last year never used a mobile device in her life?
Old Apr 4, 2014, 04:52 PM   #28
slffl
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.UK View Post
Normal people? Have they seen some of the posters on here?
Most of the posters on here are anti-Apple zealots.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 04:53 PM   #29
ghost of jobs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoFox View Post
Samsung has stolen so many things from the iPhone, they should pay a hefty price.

No fine is going to hurt Samsung enough though, because they already threw money into the game and got a nice chunk of the market share.
I asked this on another thread but got no reply.. Can you list maybe a top 10 of what they have stolen.. if its true they have copied loads of stuff it shudnt be too hard.. thanks in advance..
ghost of jobs is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2014, 04:56 PM   #30
Dobbs2
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by artistic View Post
How about a IOS for the none electronically moronic people ??

Personally I think we all should file a class action lawsuit demanding Apple to make a more advanced IOS, we bought into the contract and with the new IOS upgrades we get CRAP for added features. Why the hell can't we put a folder inside a folder ? Why can't I forward my voicemails in a email yet ? on and on and on, YES I know jailbeaking will give me that, but I don't want to waste even more time looking for add-ons that should already come with the latest upgrade.

WTF are the "normal" people they are talking about ?? My mom and dad who don't even know how to program the microwave clock ??

COME ON APPLE, stop assuming the entire world is STUPID !!!!

You have the option of making your own OS or going to a different OS. No one is forcing you to stay. Good luck with your lawsuit or new OS endeavors.
Dobbs2 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2014, 04:57 PM   #31
newagemac
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.UK View Post
Isnt that for the courts to decide?
Actually the courts did decide to the tune of almost $1 Billion. So yeah what he said.
newagemac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2014, 05:01 PM   #32
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
…..Apple had originally aimed to have the device's screen on at all times…..

Article Link: Apple Spent Years Designing iPhone for 'Normal People'
That is something that surprised me, for several reasons.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 05:03 PM   #33
Sabenth
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Sabenth Send a message via Yahoo to Sabenth
Quote:
Originally Posted by tentales View Post
Agreed!

All I essentially want from a smartphone is a) make a phone call, b) listen to music, c) check my calendar, d) read email, e) browse the web, f) set an alarm and g) take the occasional snapshot.

Everything else is gimmicky to me and often a waste of time.
Naively what the iPhone was sold as originally everything in your pocket.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 05:04 PM   #34
franzkfk
macrumors newbie

Hi guys. I'm watching this site for a long time but I've never post anything. I'm still using an iPhone 2G 2.3.1. The battery isn't that good as it was in 2007 but the phone still working well. I've been thinking about change to newer and better model but I've been a bit lazy. Nevertheless I believe it is time fo me to buy a new iPhone. I was looking forward to iPhone 6 but If they use 4.7 or even more I'm definitely going for 5S. Even it is not feel as sturdy and solid as 4/4S. What is my point? Nothing. Bring back the old solid iPhones with 4 inch screens! Call it iPhone mini or iPhone dwarfy I don't care but I do not want to hang out with phone big as my hand.
franzkfk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2014, 05:06 PM   #35
JayCee842
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by attila View Post
And then they ruined everything with iOS7.
Yup, iOS7 is a disaster in some areas
JayCee842 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2014, 05:09 PM   #36
kmj2318
macrumors 6502a

I think it's very interesting that they considered having the screen on at all times in the locked state. The reason they added a lock button is because they couldn't.

Makes me think in the future we might see screens that are always on.
kmj2318 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2014, 05:16 PM   #37
JoeG4
macrumors 68020

Send a message via ICQ to JoeG4 Send a message via AIM to JoeG4
*facepalm*

Right, because the iPad was around for years and the iPhone was a quick port job.

Now we have to hear about how it was years in the making and master crafted and stuff.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 05:16 PM   #38
zipa
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
How is it then that my 72 year old mother uses iOS 7 just fine yet prior to last year never used a mobile device in her life?
Is it because she is a wizard?
Old Apr 4, 2014, 05:19 PM   #39
TsMkLg068426
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010mini View Post
windows mobile is available for those people.

LOL:d
TsMkLg068426 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2014, 05:19 PM   #40
zorinlynx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by franzkfk View Post
Hi guys. I'm watching this site for a long time but I've never post anything. I'm still using an iPhone 2G 2.3.1. The battery isn't that good as it was in 2007 but the phone still working well. I've been thinking about change to newer and better model but I've been a bit lazy. Nevertheless I believe it is time fo me to buy a new iPhone. I was looking forward to iPhone 6 but If they use 4.7 or even more I'm definitely going for 5S. Even it is not feel as sturdy and solid as 4/4S. What is my point? Nothing. Bring back the old solid iPhones with 4 inch screens! Call it iPhone mini or iPhone dwarfy I don't care but I do not want to hang out with phone big as my hand.
I read this post and can't help but wonder one thing...

How can you possibly tolerate being on AT&T's EDGE network? It was bad enough back in 2007 when it was still considered current; these days a lot of the spectrum has been re-farmed to UTMS/HSDPA and LTE; there's not much left! Your experience must be absolutely atrocious and near-unusable!
zorinlynx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2014, 05:21 PM   #41
Kariya
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010mini View Post
Windows mobile is available for those people.
This made me laugh. Thank you sir.
Kariya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2014, 05:22 PM   #42
osaga
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
"When designing products, Apple keeps in mind that it wants “normal people – people with better things to do with their lives than learn how a computer might work – to use the product as well as we can."
Steve Jobs on technology:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToFErVHAuLQ

EDIT: Is this thing on? One of Apples fundamental guiding principals is to create devices that work so well you're not aware of your interactions with it. For those bitching about normal people and apple dumbing down the world, you missing the point.

Last edited by osaga; Apr 4, 2014 at 08:30 PM.
osaga is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2014, 05:27 PM   #43
B4U
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by attila View Post
And then they ruined everything with iOS7.
And they are spreading the disease to Mac OS X...
Old Apr 4, 2014, 05:33 PM   #44
Cisco_Kid
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by needfx View Post
I don't feel normal
Normal is a setting on a dishwasher, I should hope you don't feel "normal"
Old Apr 4, 2014, 05:34 PM   #45
JoeG4
macrumors 68020

Send a message via ICQ to JoeG4 Send a message via AIM to JoeG4
Nah, I thought they ruined everything with the textures everywhere. Which actually has been in OS X since the beginning. :\

Early builds of OS X had a pinstripe background to match the iMacs and G3s of the time. The original Cinema Displays matched that style exactly, too. When 10.3 came around, they ditched that, going for a smooth white with brushed metal.

Come to think of it, I actually liked the pinstriping then, but iOS went too far with textures everywhere. Glossy this, and felt that. It just started looking like a game of MYST or something. I'm surprised the address book program didn't start with an animation of the book zooming in and opening up.

It got pretty tacky pretty fast.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 05:38 PM   #46
rablat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco_Kid View Post
Normal is a setting on a dishwasher, I should hope you don't feel "normal"
And what exactly does that setting indicate?

On another note
My god you people will absolutely bitch about anything won't you. I really have never seen in one place such a bunch of whiny people.
rablat is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2014, 05:40 PM   #47
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by artistic View Post
How about a IOS for the none electronically moronic people ??

Personally I think we all should file a class action lawsuit demanding Apple to make a more advanced IOS, we bought into the contract and with the new IOS upgrades we get CRAP for added features. Why the hell can't we put a folder inside a folder ? Why can't I forward my voicemails in a email yet ? on and on and on, YES I know jailbeaking will give me that, but I don't want to waste even more time looking for add-ons that should already come with the latest upgrade.

WTF are the "normal" people they are talking about ?? My mom and dad who don't even know how to program the microwave clock ??

COME ON APPLE, stop assuming the entire world is STUPID !!!!
Apple won't make their OS more complicated. It'd be a suicide for them (all those non-tech-savvy customers would just jump ship), unless they went the Samsung way.

Samsung simply introduced a "Simple" mode, achievable via a switch in Settings, in addition to the default one, which greatly simplifies the OS of their handsets. Then, they become as simple-to-use as iOS, while, of course, disabling a LOT of advanced features (menus etc).

Apple could go this way but I really don't think they will. After all, the big money is in the tech unsavvy people. Why would they cater for us "nerd" "geeks" or simply tech-savvy people when they already have their money by catering for the unsavvy?
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2014, 05:46 PM   #48
subsonix
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post
Apple won't make their OS more complicated. It'd be a suicide for them (all those non-tech-savvy customers would just jump ship), unless they went the Samsung way.
It has nothing to do with being "tech-savvy" or not.
subsonix is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2014, 05:48 PM   #49
zin
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Christie helped develop some of the original iPhone's key features and he is known as the inventor of "Slide to Unlock," a function that prevents the iPhone from being activated accidentally while within a pocket.
Really? The "Slide to Unlock" was not invented by him or Apple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj-KS2kfIr0#t=242
zin is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2014, 05:48 PM   #50
dumastudetto
macrumors 6502a

This is why I love Apple. It isn't just about Apple developing the best technologies that the rest of the industry rips off like sheep. But Apple spends a huge amount of time making that technology accessible for all people from all backgrounds. Whether you're a technophobe, have a serious disability, or are a creative on the cutting-edge of technology, Apple's devices and software are made for you.
dumastudetto is offline   5 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion