Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KiraDouji

macrumors member
Original poster
After a lot of searching and troubleshooting, I'm banging my head against the wall on this still, so if anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it!

Scenario:
1 PC
1 iMac

iMac is functioning as the display for the PC.
---- Target Display Mode = FUNCTIONAL :)

Issue:

2 keyboards, 2 mice and trackpad.

Supposed Solution:
Synergy. This program allows you to essentially 'host' a keyboard and mouse on one computer that the other computer can then connect a client to and use.

After much ado I was able to get the program running in both directions:

PC as host to client iMac
AND
iMac as host to client PC

HOWEVER

This does not seem to actually do anything. Both computers claim their program is running, however neither my iMac's bluetooth keyboard/trackpad nor my PC's USB keyboard and mouse can be shared to the other computer.

Does anyone have any familiarity with this program and attempting to accomplish what is essentially a software KVM switch? My desk needs help!

:apple: Kira

ianma

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2010
Manchester
I setup the server on the PC first and then QuickSynergy on the Mac in client mode, this resulted in the PC's keyboard and mouse being used.

You also have to configure on the server (PC in my case) where both machines are relative to each other so mouse movement from one to the other can be tracked.

Can't remeber what else, if anything, was done. This was setup on the machines at work, but I'll double check what their configuration is when I'm in next in a couple of hours.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

frega

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2010
I've gotten both synergy to connect finally huzzah.

I am able switch to the PC/move my mouse over to the PC, but not able to hit cmd-f2 so the mac enters target display mode. Anyone have any advice?

chiarov

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2013
Did you ever get this working?

I have Synergy setup and running across my Mac and PC and can use it fine with two separate monitors. But I'd like to consolidate to just one monitor.

I have hotkeys setup in Synergy to switch from one machine to the other, but the problem is that with the CMD-F2 for switching to Target Display Mode on the Mac.

Once I hit that, it seems my Synergy hotkeys won't work.

Has anyone figured this out or have an alternative?

dyman

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2014
Hello guys, same here. Using iMac as display for iMac itself and PC connected to mdp. Synergy works but, after moving to second screen i cannot press Cmd+F2. Any solutions?

best
/m.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.