Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
That good of a feature? I would assume so. Since the iPhones and iPads are about 6-8 months appart in release cycles, usually we will see the new features on iPhones, then on iPads. I would speculate that chances are likely.

hologram

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2007
Yes, Apple had to save it for this year to be the 'new' feature :rolleyes:

That's true. They thought about all the hundreds of millions of dollars they could have made selling it last holiday season, when they were the only ones with the technology, but they decided it would be better to wait until other manufacturers are doing it too, so they could split the profits. They wouldn't want to earn TOO much money last year. The stockholders wouldn't like it.

How smart you are!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

AppleWarMachine

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2011
Michigan, US
That's true. They thought about all the hundreds of millions of dollars they could have made selling it last holiday season, when they were the only ones with the technology, but they decided it would be better to wait until other manufacturers are doing it too, so they could split the profits. They wouldn't want to earn TOO much money last year. The stockholders wouldn't like it.

How smart you are!:rolleyes:

They already made hundreds of millions of dollars :rolleyes:

hologram

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2007
They already made hundreds of millions of dollars :rolleyes:

So enough is enough, and they should take a break from making money?:rolleyes:

I'm sure that occurred to Tim Cook, he probably would have enjoyed a 6-month break on his yacht, but he probably didn't feel like facing a class-action suit from the shareholders.:rolleyes:

Every time Apple doesn't include a feature in an upgrade, people come out of the woodwork to spread conspiracy theories as to why Apple doesn't want to make money now, they'd rather wait until their competitors catch up. These people don't have a clue about corporate finances or obligations, but they feel good letting everyone know that THEY are aware of the conspiracy, and THEY won't be fooled by greedy Apple.:rolleyes:

Well, it's been nice. Come back when you learn something about business.:rolleyes: :D

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
i never touch my iPad home or sleep button unless i have to so i don't really see the need for it, atleast for me. 5 finger pinch works perfect for me and the smart cover locks/unlocks.

B.Boston

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2011
That doesn't answer the question :)
I can't speak for who you actually asked but:

It hasn't prevented me from getting an iPad. I have my dad's old iPad 2.
But it HAS prevented me from upgrading to a new iPad air or mini.

To access my work e-mail I need to use a complex password (no simple 4 digit codes allowed) but with touch ID it doesn't matter since I almost never manually enter it on my iPhone. I decided I would wait on a new iPad until touch ID was included!

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
If my home gets burglarized, then I don't want to leave an unlocked iPad lying around for someone to access all the info they need to steal my identity. Therefore, I use a passcode lock. It's a minor pain to have to enter that code repeatedly so I'm also waiting for touch ID to come to the iPad.

If that's not an issue for some people then fine. However, it's strange to me that others can't seem to figure out why someone would want that feature on an iPad and wait for it.

I think some are just in love with their iPads, buy them valentines and can't imagine a better model than the one they themselves own. :p

Last edited:

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I have an iPad2 and an iPhone5S

I use a smart cover and it generally opens and turns on the iPad but sometimes when it falls asleep when the cover is back I push the button and hold...waiting for it to simply open...then realize i need to swipe it.

I'd think they will have TouchID in all the iOS devices this year (next release)

It is a big thing and probably used more/heavily in iOS8.

kytiger

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
iPad needs Touch ID

Maybe. iPads just don't have as much of a need for it.

Not sure I understand why people say iPad doesn't have as much of a need for it. Touch ID is a huge feature for anyone that works for a company that requires a secure password. I definitely use my iPad Air less now since it's more convenient to grab the iPhone 5s to look something up quick or check email.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
Depends on your usage scenario. If you're a home user who tends to use the iPad for hours at a time, doesn't make many purchases on the App or iTunes Music Stores, and/or uses very simple passwords, then TouchID might just seem like a laziness feature.

If you're a corporate user who requires strong passwords and logs in and out of their iPad multiple times each hour, then TouchID is a technology that is sorely needed.

I have two iPads, each used in the conditions I described. I can see why home users don't see the appeal of TouchID. Yet when I go into work, it's no exaggeration to say that I have thought to myself how much I wished my iPad Mini had TouchID at least once each day.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
I think you'll find the primary reason that the iPad Air doesn't have TouchID already is that when it debuted last fall they could just barely get ahold of enough TouchID sensors to stuff into all the iPhone 5s's they were shipping. I expect that, unless production is still impacted in six months, you'll see TouchID on all the new devices (hmm, possibly not on an iPhone 5c replacement, if they're trying to keep the price lower).

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

I initially thought so as well. Now, after using Touch ID on my 5s, I find it irritating to have to slide to unlock my iPad or even key in the passcode (which I need to enable to save passwords from secure websites).

Especially since now that I am using a spigen case and not one of those magnetic flip covers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.