Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 5, 2014, 03:00 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Google Preparing 'Android TV' Set-Top Box with Native Apps, Simple Interface, Voice Search

Google is gearing up to release a new Android TV set-top media box that utilizes a simple card interface with native apps and games, voice search, and a proactive recommendation system, according to new documents obtained by The Verge.

The documents note that while Android powers the box's experience, the interface offers a series of "cards" representing different channel options, including movies, shows, apps, and games. Users will be able to scroll through the interface with a four-way directional pad that contains Enter, Home, and Back buttons, with the set-top box reportedly featuring optional game controllers.

Quote:
"Access to content should be simple and magical," reads one Google document, which adds that it should never take more than three clicks or gestures to go from the homescreen to enjoying a new piece of content. Even search appears to be secondary to intuitively understanding what you want and delivering it as soon as possible, though search will be still be one of Android TV's primary tools. In addition to universal search, pressing the Search button on the controller will let you search from within individual apps as well.
Moreover, Android TV is said to contain support for voice input, notifications, and search, with the set-top box also being able to recommend content based on a user's interests and resume content viewed elsewhere the moment Android TV is turned on. Google is reportedly asking select developers to create games and apps for its new set-top box with optimized interfaces for the TV, as apps for Vevo, Netflix, Hulu, Pandora are expected to ship with the device. The company will also work in its own apps including Play Movies, YouTube, and Hangouts.

Quote:
"Android TV is Android, optimized for the living room consumption experience on a TV screen," writes the company, but the focus is on simplicity for now. Google is stripping away unneeded features like telephony, cameras, touchscreen support and near-field communication to keep developers focused, and handing them ready-made interfaces where they can hopefully just plug in shows, games, photos, music, and films.
Google is also expected to keep its popular Chromecast HDMI streaming accessory with the release of Google TV, with The Verge noting that developers will be required to build two different interfaces for the two different devices.

It is not known specifically when the device will launch, but it is clear that Google's Android TV will enter a growing market of set-top boxes -- just this past week, Amazon launched its own Fire TV media streaming box with voice search, game support, and more, to compete with other devices like the Apple TV and Roku.

The move comes as Apple is said to be preparing a new version of the Apple TV that will include game support and might possibly integrate with Comcast's network to enable a streaming TV service for users. Apple is expected to unveil its new Apple TV sometime in the near future, with some rumors suggesting a launch as early as April.

Article Link: Google Preparing 'Android TV' Set-Top Box with Native Apps, Simple Interface, Voice Search
MacRumors is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2014, 03:01 PM   #2
barns
macrumors newbie

Shocker.
barns is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2014, 03:01 PM   #3
rekhyt
macrumors 6502a

Pretty boring. Second image looks like Xbox One's interface?
Old Apr 5, 2014, 03:02 PM   #4
thekeyring
macrumors 6502a

Oh ******* off Google.
thekeyring is offline   33 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2014, 03:02 PM   #5
JayCee842
macrumors 6502a

GoogleRumors.

This is why I love competition.
JayCee842 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2014, 03:03 PM   #6
roland.g
macrumors 603

Google and Simple Interface don't go in the same sentence together.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 03:04 PM   #7
GeekLawyer
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
“Access to content should be simple and magical..."
Magical, you say? Where have we heard that before?
GeekLawyer is offline   31 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2014, 03:06 PM   #8
Yvan256
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekLawyer View Post
Magical, you say? Where have we heard that before?
I'm not quite sure, but I think I felt a great disturbance in the Reality Distortion Field.
Yvan256 is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2014, 03:06 PM   #9
AustinIllini
macrumors Demi-God

Meanwhile, Apple's 5 inch iPhone will be "revolutionary"
Old Apr 5, 2014, 03:07 PM   #10
BornAgainMac
macrumors 601

At first glance, it looked like Google is copying Microsoft Windows 8.
BornAgainMac is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2014, 03:07 PM   #11
QCassidy352
macrumors G3

how many of these do we need that do essentially the same thing? Is the market for them really that profitable that every tech company out there sees the value in competing in this space?
Old Apr 5, 2014, 03:09 PM   #12
Z400Racer37
macrumors 6502

It's like, make a box that can play all my console games, and come out with a good version of youtube so I can get rid of all these consoles and disks, and stop having to youtube "how to do ________ on youtube." and fix my multimedia life already... What the hell is taking so long really? nobody cares about cable partnerships, the stuff on tv sucks anyways just release an update thats meaningful for once please. It's about time to stop selling the same stuff over and over. /rant
Z400Racer37 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2014, 03:10 PM   #13
JayCee842
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinIllini View Post
Let's wait and see what they actually release before coming to ridiculous conclusions and bashing on them.
JayCee842 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2014, 03:11 PM   #14
My Name is URL
macrumors member

I don't care what it looks like. The key thing as always with these tv devices is content. It needs more if it's gonna take on the TV.
My Name is URL is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2014, 03:11 PM   #15
afsnyder
macrumors 6502a

That interface looks incredible!
Old Apr 5, 2014, 03:12 PM   #16
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

I'm confused: Is this an evolution of the existing Google TV platform, or have they given up on that?

Last edited by APlotdevice; Apr 5, 2014 at 03:17 PM.
APlotdevice is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2014, 03:12 PM   #17
afsnyder
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinIllini View Post
No.. it won't. I almost guarantee the screen size won't steal the show.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 03:12 PM   #18
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCassidy352 View Post
how many of these do we need that do essentially the same thing? Is the market for them really that profitable that every tech company out there sees the value in competing in this space?
Tech companies don't know what to do, aren't sure what the "next big thing" is going to be so they're all copying each other on what they think it could be.

I hope whatever Apple is working on has a differentiator on the content side and it's not just the current ATV with a redesign and AppStore. Yes the latter is needed but I'd like to be wowed, not 'Apple's catching up with what everyone else is doing'.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 03:12 PM   #19
MacSlut
macrumors regular

I mistook this for old news about Amazon

This is a mistake for Google. They should instead be supporting Amazon. Instead, they're fragmenting the Android based marketplace and pissing off their partners. Further, it doesn't sound like their device will be any better or have any real product differentiation from the Fire TV, unless they artificially create such differentiation by withholding services on Amazon's device.
MacSlut is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2014, 03:14 PM   #20
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by afsnyder View Post
That interface looks incredible!
You forgot the /s tag.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 03:14 PM   #21
Steviejobz
macrumors 65816

Google TV sucked the first time. Pass.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 03:15 PM   #22
Cyborg21
macrumors 6502

1) Heyy, Macrumors! It is MACrumors, it's kind of sad to see Google products, companies bought by Apple in front page while Apple Rumors are at secondary blogs.
2) Google is now Neo Samsung, I mean they are not just copying Apple they copy Microsoft too. Android Wear is just what iWatch rumors says, Android TV is a copy of both Xbox One UI and Apple TV UI, Chrome OS is copy of both Windows 7, Windows 8 and OS X.
3) People still use Google products after those privacy problems?
Old Apr 5, 2014, 03:18 PM   #23
Above The Gods
macrumors member

Xbox One?
Above The Gods is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2014, 03:19 PM   #24
Delorean2006
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekhyt View Post
Pretty boring. Second image looks like Xbox One's interface?
i was just about to say the same exact thing...
Old Apr 5, 2014, 03:21 PM   #25
skellener
macrumors 65816

I don't care for any of the UI's. Not AppleTV, XBOX Live, Roku, GooglePlay or Amazon. They are all really crummy.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion