Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
As someone who has had a Blue 5C since October last year until 4 days ago. The 5C was a great device. But I must say the 5S fells more of a premium product. The design, the look, the finish.

My biggest gripe with the 5C is the lack of case selection.
For a lot of people that's actually one of the benefits, that basically there's less need for a case with a 5C vs. 5S or a 5.

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
No. The 5S comes in Space Gray (Grey). It's a dark gray (and not nearly as dark as the Slate gray on the back of my iPhone 5) but gray is not black.

You can argue that if you like, others have. They insist that gray is black and while gray is a SHADE of black, it is not 100% black which is what I am talking about.

And to be clear, I'm not referring to the front panels, I am referring to the top, bottom and sides. I exclude the back of the iPhone 5 for the same reason I gave you. While it's a deeper gray than the iPhone 5s the back of the iPhone 5 is not black either, except for the glass windows on the top and bottom.

Don't worry, as the anodised coating starts to chip and peel off you'll have a black and silver phone!

The 5s may be categorised as space grey but ultimately people refer to slate/space grey colours the "black iPhone" due to the front glass. Just like people call the silver and gold 5s the "white iPhone".

I don't hear anyone use Apple's colour categories when talking about the phone they have. I have a black iPhone, my wife has a white iPhone.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Don't worry, as the anodised coating starts to chip and peel off you'll have a black and silver phone!

The 5s may be categorised as space grey but ultimately people refer to slate/space grey colours the "black iPhone" due to the front glass. Just like people call the silver and gold 5s the "white iPhone".

I don't hear anyone use Apple's colour categories when talking about the phone they have. I have a black iPhone, my wife has a white iPhone.
My black/slate gray iPhone 5 has held up very well, thanks. :D

As to what everyone calls it, you can follow the crowd if you like. But I'll stick with what Apple calls it. Apple usually gets things right. The crowd…not so much.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
i have both and i honestly say i like both. both sexy in their own ways. people always tend to make fun of the 5c but i man up because the blue is a beast of a color and they can't give me the, "oh you settled for the cheaper iphone" argument because i have a 64gb gold 5s anyways.. HAHA.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
The 5c is my first iPhone. I went out and bought a 5s to put on my other line. I like the 5s but....

I use it maybe a third of the time. I'm more inclined to use my 5s when my 5c is on the charger at work.

I just love the way the 5c feels in my hand. I love the blue color and the fact that it reminds me of clear skies and water. So while I'm working a long shift, the blue color just along the bezel in my vision, makes me feel just a bit more joyful.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
I love how the 5c felt in the hand, but I'm happier with the 5s. It feels nice with the candyshell and touch ID is worth every penny.

----------

You mean Space Gray, right?

Touch ID is worth blot, seeing as you have to push a stupid button for it to work. My opinion anyway.

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
My black/slate gray iPhone 5 has held up very well, thanks. :D

As to what everyone calls it, you can follow the crowd if you like. But I'll stick with what Apple calls it. Apple usually gets things right. The crowd…not so much.

That's possibly the most childish thing I've read on here.

It's not about "following the crowd". I'm 35, I don't need to conform to someone's ridiculous notion of a "crowd". The fact is my iPhone is predominately black. The colour in Apple's title refers to nothing more the colour of the anodising used on the aluminium.

:rolleyes:

----------

Touch ID is worth blot, seeing as you have to push a stupid button for it to work. My opinion anyway.

Clearly you've never used it day to day.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
That's possibly the most childish thing I've read on here.

It's not about "following the crowd". I'm 35, I don't need to conform to someone's ridiculous notion of a "crowd". The fact is my iPhone is predominately black. The colour in Apple's title refers to nothing more the colour of the anodising used on the aluminium.
I'm not the one who made the statement of
"The 5s may be categorised as space grey but ultimately people refer to slate/space grey colours the "black iPhone" due to the front glass. Just like people call the silver and gold 5s the "white iPhone".

I don't hear anyone use Apple's colour categories when talking about the phone they have.
"
And then you go on to say that you call your Space Gray iPhone black.

Was I supposed to infer from that statement that you don't follow the crowd that calls the Space Gray iPhone black? If so, maybe I am a child because I just don't understand.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013

Was I supposed to infer from that statement that you don't follow the crowd that calls the Space Gray iPhone black? If so, maybe I am a child because I just don't understand.

I wish they'd do full on black. I am hoping they'll bring it back for the 6. I definitely like the space gray less than I did the slate.

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013

The fact you still think there is some kind of "crowd" to be followed says it all.

Grow up. You're making a mountain out of something utterly trivial.

Yes, I own a "Space Grey" iPhone 5s. If people ask me which iPhone 5s I own I say "a 16GB black". I don't feel enough of a man child to whip out the "Space Grey" every single time. If it makes you feel cool and hip to tell people you have a "space grey" phone then fine. There is only one black iPhone, which is the one with Space Grey anodising. People who own a white 5s may need to elaborate further by stating "Gold" or "Silver".

Jesus ...

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The fact you still think there is some kind of "crowd" to be followed says it all.

Grow up. You're making a mountain out of something utterly trivial.

Yes, I own a "Space Grey" iPhone 5s. If people ask me which iPhone 5s I own I say "a 16GB black". I don't feel enough of a man child to whip out the "Space Grey" every single time. If it makes you feel cool and hip to tell people you have a "space grey" phone then fine. There is only one black iPhone, which is the one with Space Grey anodising. People who own a white 5s may need to elaborate further by stating "Gold" or "Silver".

Jesus ...

You are the one who brought up the whole "everyone" thing not me. And you seem to be under the impression I have a gray iPhone. I don't own a 5s, I own a 5, which is only a dark gray on the metal back.

If my insistence on calling gray gray and not black bothers you don't post. Then you won't have to be bothered by my childishness.

IpadSC400

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
A mile high
Yes sir, i have had 4 iPhones so that is my opinion:roll eyes: I thought that is what this forum is about:eek:
That's nothing...my dreams involve midget dwarfs and purple donuts...:D

We heard your opinion. You bought four iphones in a row because....you hate touch ID...? But you're right, forums are for discussion. Disagreements are orthodox. But there is a time to end "trivial" discussion if the same words are being regurgitated over....and over....and .....over

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Yes sir, i have had 4 iPhones so that is my opinion:roll eyes: I thought that is what this forum is about:eek:

1. You cannot say anything negative about Apple in this forum. They will see you, attack you with brutal words and tell you to leave for Android ASAP.

2. This forum really needs a section titled "after dark" so we can say whatever we want after a certain time.

3. Touch ID is awesome, bc I dont like Apples stupid limitations but love the iPhone, so virtual home on my JB allows me to not press the button on my lock screen to unlock my phone.

businezguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
I like the 5C as well. I like the casing more then the iPhone 5S. I bought the iPhone 5S mainly because of the fingerprint recognition but I really wish I could have the 5C casing on the 5S so I didn't have to have a separate case on it.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
The 5C is the inferior device. Nothing wrong with liking inferior. That's just what it is.

Of course it is, thanks for pointing out the obvious, anything ranked lower is inferior.

Inferior: Lower in rank, quality or status.

The ipad mini is inferior to the ipad air. The macbook pro 13 is inferior to the 15. The imac 21 is inferior to the 27" and thy are both inferior to the mac pro. On and on and on.

If you buy any of these there is "Nothing wrong with liking inferior. That's just what it is."

I see nothing wrong with any of these products, but any line with multiple products the lower ones are "inferior" by definition.

Ah, I see you have an ipad mini, it's "inferior" to the ipad air. "There's nothing wrong with liking it, that's just what it is."

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
Yeah, there has been many debates and threads on this. Specially iPodJedi's thread. Thought I'd come back and tell you all what I thought about the 5C.

I wasn't really fond of the 5C when it came out...but I like it a lot more now that I see it.

I use the 5S as my daily iphone. I buy/fix/sell iPhones and I recently got a couple 5C's in. To tell you the truth, they feel awesome. Unlike the cheap 3GS type crap, the 5C is extremely smooth, and hard to scratch or break. Only downside is the white 5C, which shows any mark you make on it.

So, redemption, I admit, the 5C is pretty cool. I really like them in the color blue and green as well.

Please no debating or griping about the 5S vs 5C garbage. They're both iphones, just exterior differences....and slight features are different.

Yes, I like the 5S, I like the 5C. Self contridiction? I think not.

:cool:

I have a 4S, and just recently, purchased a Gold 5S for a family member. I'm actually waiting for the 6 to come out, but when I went into Apple to purchase that 5S, I was drawn to the 5C. I'm even contemplating getting a White 5C 16GB so I can move on from Sprint (contract fulfilled by the way), as TMo and ATT have affordable plans that for my criteria, but I'm not sure if I will regret this purchase if the 6 arrives.

Is the White 5C really prone to smudges and marks? Can it "easily" be cleaned?

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
I have a 4S, and just recently, purchased a Gold 5S for a family member. I'm actually waiting for the 6 to come out, but when I went into Apple to purchase that 5S, I was drawn to the 5C. I'm even contemplating getting a White 5C 16GB so I can move on from Sprint (contract fulfilled by the way), as TMo and ATT have affordable plans that for my criteria, but I'm not sure if I will regret this purchase if the 6 arrives.

Is the White 5C really prone to smudges and marks? Can it "easily" be cleaned?

I have a white 5c and I can't tell it's prone to smudges or marks at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.