Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hollandog

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2014
I made a bootable DVD to update the 840 pro that I bought last week.
The process was unsuccessful because the 840 pro already shipped with the latest firmware..

:cool:

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
I'm new to the whole SSD craze so bear with me:

I have a 15" MacBoko Pro that I use for casual computer stuff - college work mostly. No heavy stuff like video and sound editing. I'm conflicted between getting the 750GB 840 EVO SSD and the 500 GB 840 EVO SSD because of the cache differences (512MB cache for the 500GB and 1GB cache for the 750GB). For what I do, will I see a noticeable difference between the two cache sizes?

Would you recommend getting the 500GB or the 750GB?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I'm new to the whole SSD craze so bear with me:

I have a 15" MacBoko Pro that I use for casual computer stuff - college work mostly. No heavy stuff like video and sound editing. I'm conflicted between getting the 750GB 840 EVO SSD and the 500 GB 840 EVO SSD because of the cache differences (512MB cache for the 500GB and 1GB cache for the 750GB). For what I do, will I see a noticeable difference between the two cache sizes?

Would you recommend getting the 500GB or the 750GB?

In day to day usage like you described you will see zero difference. Unless you just need the larger drive for space, I would just get the 500GB.

See this comparison.

gOJ0z4y.png

500GB is in blue.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
I found a good deal on the Samsung 840 256 drives at Best Buy for $204 then i found a better deal on Amazon.
There may be better deals out there but I'm just passing this along.
This may be useful for a Price Match...
Prices for the Samsung 840 SSD's are plummeting at the moment. They've come down 25% in price here in Denmark, over the last ~5 weeks. Lets hope it is a sign of a new model just around the corner!

kcrossley

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2009
Virginia
Has anyone had any problems with their Samsung Pro SSD corrupting their OS?

This just happened to me yesterday, which required an OS reinstall. I will admit that I rarely reboot my MacBook though, usually opting to put it to sleep. I probably restart the computer about once a month. Perhaps that's where the problem is.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Although I have had no problems with the 840, but I have seen no speed increase at all. Since my mid 2010 MBP is running SATA II, not sure it will help.

I am debating on switching back to a mechanical drive (1TB) since I would rather have the space since I don't notice the speed.

According to Black Magic
206 Write
262 Read

Last edited:

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Although I have had no problems with the 840, but I have seen no speed increase at all. Since my mid 2010 MBP is running SATA II, not sure it will help.

I am debating on switching back to a mechanical drive (1TB) since I would rather have the space since I don't notice the speed.

According to Black Magic
206 Write
262 Read

The speed numbers you quote are in line with SATA2 - Around 250Mb/sec.

But you mechanical drive should report ~25% of that speed, so I am quite surprised that you can't feel a difference. Even in my SATA1 MBP, I noticed a major speed increase when I shifted to an SSD.

APPLEFUNRF

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2013
Washington DC
(MacBook PRO 13/ 2011/ early / 16 ram / Core I7 )

Hi everybody. I just have bought mine SSD 840 PRO 128 Gb, so should I enable TRIM ? If so, what is the best way (CORRECT ) to enable TRIM ?

1) By terminal
2) By TRIMEnableR (what version ?) Ive heard, that it does change some important files on Mac OS ?
3) Chameleon SSD Optimizer ?
4) Else

Thanks so much in advance

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
(MacBook PRO 13/ 2011/ early / 16 ram / Core I7 )

Hi everybody. I just have bought mine SSD 840 PRO 128 Gb, so should I enable TRIM ? If so, what is the best way (CORRECT ) to enable TRIM ?

1) By terminal
2) By TRIMEnableR (what version ?) Ive heard, that it does change some important files on Mac OS ?
3) Chameleon SSD Optimizer ?
4) Else

Thanks so much in advance

You won't get much argument from anybody that TRIM is not good to have. The issue is, do you want to hack a core OS X system file to have it? Many users here have used the TRIM hack without issue, while some do seem to have trouble with the hack enabled. You will just have to decide for yourself.

Every tool that enables TRIM does the same thing, and that is modify a system kext file. So no matter which tool you use, then end result is the same.

The free TRIM Enabler seems to work well.

APPLEFUNRF

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2013
Washington DC
You won't get much argument from anybody that TRIM is not good to have. The issue is, do you want to hack a core OS X system file to have it? Many users here have used the TRIM hack without issue, while some do seem to have trouble with the hack enabled. You will just have to decide for yourself.

Every tool that enables TRIM does the same thing, and that is modify a system kext file. So no matter which tool you use, then end result is the same.

The free TRIM Enabler seems to work well.

Thanks. Made by trimenabler, so easy, took me 5 seconds.

----------

Many users here have used the TRIM hack without issue, while some do seem to have trouble with the hack enabled. You will just have to

What kind of problem ?

seldanne

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2011
Hey... I've been researching this forum as I'm trying to decide what SSD to get... I have a mid-2010 MBP with a APPLE SSD TS128B (Toshiba drive right?) that came with it. I'm leaning towards the Samsung 840 series... I guess my question is, is the Pro worth it still? as I'd be using it with SATA II connection. Also been recommended the Crucial M550 series... anyone familiar with them?

Also, would I notice that much of a difference since I'm already using a SSD? I just need more capacity as I'm running out of room with the 128GB... leaning towards the 256 or 512GB drives.

Last edited:

5to1

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2008
For any UK buyers getting an Evo, I thought I'd point out Samsung are doing upto £50 Cashback on them until 3rd May:

http://www.samsung.com/uk/ssdevocashback

Not sure if it applies to other regions, but the offer started 30/03/14, so worth checking if one you purchased since then is eligible :)

seldanne

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2011
I was just reading the Samsung SSD white paper on their site

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/samsungssd/downloads/Samsung_SSD_Whitepaper.pdf

As it requires OS support, not all users will be able to use native TRIM functionality. On PCs, TRIM is supported in Windows 7 or later. On Macs, TRIM is only supported for Apple’s OEM SSDs and is not supported for Samsung’s (or any other manufacturers’) aftermarket SSDs

Is this old? has it changed with the newer OSX?

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Hey... I've been researching this forum as I'm trying to decide what SSD to get... I have a mid-2010 MBP with a APPLE SSD TS128B (Toshiba drive right?) that came with it. I'm leaning towards the Samsung 840 series... I guess my question is, is the Pro worth it still? as I'd be using it with SATA II connection
The speed benefit in the Pro would not be noticeable over the EVO on a SATA2 connection. Save the money and buy the EVO.

Also, would I notice that much of a difference since I'm already using a SSD? I just need more capacity as I'm running out of room with the 128GB... leaning towards the 256 or 512GB drives.
Most likely you will in some operations.

hollandog

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2014
Using the 256gb 840 pro for a few weeks now. It came with latest firmware.
Can't imagine if I need to go back to the 5400rpm drive.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
I was just reading the Samsung SSD white paper on their site

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/samsungssd/downloads/Samsung_SSD_Whitepaper.pdf

Is this old? has it changed with the newer OSX?
The statement is misleading: TRIM is not enabled by default in OS X for third-party SSDs, so the statement is arguably correct. However, there are programs that can be used to enable TRIM even on third-party drives, with ChameleonSSD and TRIMEnabler being the big two. The statement makes it seem as if TRIM is completely unsupported for the drives under OS X, which isn't the case.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
The statement is misleading: TRIM is not enabled by default in OS X for third-party SSDs, so the statement is arguably correct. However, there are programs that can be used to enable TRIM even on third-party drives, with ChameleonSSD and TRIMEnabler being the big two. The statement makes it seem as if TRIM is completely unsupported for the drives under OS X, which isn't the case.

I'm guessing by this statement Samsung means TRIM is not supported in that it is not officially supported by Apple on aftermarket drives. So in that sense, I would say it is an accurate statement.

From the Samsung PDF:

On Macs, TRIM is only supported for Apple’s OEM SSDs and is not supported for Samsung’s (or any other manufacturers’) aftermarket SSDs.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
The question is if one should wait for the next generation of drives, or just snatch a cheap EVO.. Hmmm...

Just my opinion from following reviews, it seems like the newer drives that are coming out are for the most part aimed at lowering the price point and not so much on improving performance. I think performance of SATA SSDs has about peaked. I suspect most newer drives you see will be about the same performance as the current drives and just a bit cheaper.

If it was me and I needed an SSD, I would just grab and EVO now.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Thank you for the advice. That's also the reasoning I've come to, but with new drives being just around the corner, I can't help but wait just to see. :)

I would love to see a 840 Pro drive at 1TB, to maximize the gains and longivety of my forthcomming SSD.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.