Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The latest internal documents coming out of the Samsung/Apple trial show some candid insight into Apple's analysis of the future of the smartphone market.

The documents posted by Re/code include an Apple slide deck from April, 2013 for 2014 planning. The document includes graphs showing that Apple's growth rates are slowing quarter after quarter. The main reason for the decline amongst consumers? Consumers want less expensive and larger screen smartphones:

whatsgoingon.jpg
In a further breakdown, Apple acknowledges that "consumers want what we don't have" -- which shows that the majority of smartphone growth is in both >4" screen sizes and

Article Link: Apple Acknowledges Consumers Want Larger and Cheaper Phones

bobenhaus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

The latest internal documents coming out of the Samsung/Apple trial show some candid insight into Apple's analysis of the future of the smartphone market.

The documents posted by Re/code include an Apple slide deck from April, 2013 for 2014 planning. The document includes graphs showing that Apple's growth rates are slowing quarter after quarter. The main reason for the decline amongst consumers? Consumers want less expensive and larger screen smartphones:

In a further breakdown, Apple acknowledges that "consumers want what we don't have" -- which shows that the majority of smartphone growth is in both >4" screen sizes and

Article Link: Apple Acknowledges Consumers Want Larger and Cheaper Phones

Oh really now?? What a surprise!!! hahah

JayCee842

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2013
If they end up listening to the market, then they'd be facing the "innovators dilemma" which Jobs (I believe highlighted as a favorite book). It's not about giving consumers what they want. Apple will fall behind listening to their customers' needs.

Edit: Apple can't get caught up in current needs. It needs to look to the future.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Bigger screen and less money ... Will Apple change something ?
I'm quite sure about the bigger screen, but what about prices ?
A 5.5" iPhone 6 could be beautiful, but if it will cost 800$ how many they are going to sell ?

forcesteeler

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
What Apple Needs is New Innovative Products. The iPhone this June will be almost 8 Years old. The iPhone Gravy Train is almost over. Its time to invent some new products. Just like the iPod had its run, The iPhone run is coming to a close soon.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I don't think the answer here is to abandon 4" phones altogether. I think a better move would be to have a 4" iPhone 6 Mini, priced as a replacement for the iPhone 5C and a 4.7" iPhone 6, priced as a replacement for the iPhone 5S.

As shown from the iPod Nano and iPad Mini, people are willing to spend less for smaller products, so long as they're still high quality. They aren't willing to compromise on the quality of the product for less money, as shown by the 5C.

penter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2006
I think we're beginning to see the era where Apple is no longer an innovator, but a mere competitor...

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
If they end up listening to the market, then they'd be facing the "innovators dilemma" which Jobs (I believe highlighted as a favorite book). It's not about giving consumers what they want

You're wrong. Jobs never said that.
He said that you don't want to listen to sudden trends which get replaced by new trends.
If someone says they want a bigger screen and don't come back to iPhone unless the demand is fulfilled by an iPhone, then that's that.

Glassed Silver:ios

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
Looks like there's a lot more meat in that >$300 segment, especially with how screwed up payment plans are getting now.

forcesteeler

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
If they end up listening to the market, then they'd be facing the "innovators dilemma" which Jobs (I believe highlighted as a favorite book). It's not about giving consumers what they want

Apple has almost $200 Billion Dollars in its bank account. Its time to use some of that money and release some new products (New Industry's). Waiting Year after Year for something new is frustrating. Im tired of the same old New iPhone 27. Where is the 4K TV? the iWatch? how about a video game console, Game Industry makes a lot of money.

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal
What Apple Needs is New Innovative Products. The iPhone this June will be almost 8 Years old. The iPhone Gravy Train is almost over. Its time to invent some new products. Just like the iPod had its run, The iPhone run is coming to a close soon.

Like the iPad?

Anyway, clearly Apple locked the 4" premium market. I think that they will keep releasing a 4" model with top of the line everything, but a 5" model with the same specifications will be a better iPhone for millions of us.

Either way, Apple wins, competition loses. If Apple attacks the big screen premium market, where will they go? That's the KO pouch to Motorola (already sold), HTC, Windows Phone (Nokia will keep selling cheap Lumias), Sony and Samsung will get a kick in the nose.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
Am I the only one who doesn't want a bigger iPhone screen? If they do that, I hope they keep the smaller one as an option. Of course, that will have the disadvantage of making developers account for yet another screen size (unless the bigger iPhone is just bigger pixels), but I really don't want to make the phone any more difficult to put in my pocket, for example.

If I want to get real work done, I'll use a full-fledged computer. The things people are doing, painstakingly, on mobile devices these days scare me. #OldPeopleProblems?

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
It took Apple thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of $$$ and hefty legal costs to figure out that the majority of people want larger and cheaper phones? What kind of geniuses are working at their market research dept?

mertyz

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2011
I used HTC 8X for a year and even 4.3" was painful to use for me, despite the fact that I have large hands. I'm really happy with the size of the display my 5S has really.

Unfortunately it is quite obvious that Apple will take the same route :/

JayCee842

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2013

I agree and disagree. I'm not sure where to take a stance. While the iPhone is about to be 8 years old, people continue to buy it (and smartphones). I don't see smartphones dying out any time soon. But then again, who knows

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.