Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
I think we're beginning to see the era where Apple is no longer an innovator, but a mere competitor...

It has been for several years now.

You have to wonder why a company with such gigantic fortunes and staff can't revise every device every year to jump ahead of the market instead of catching up to it. Their iPads and iPhones get attention while most other products languish in corporate disinterest.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
I don't think the answer here is to abandon 4" phones altogether. I think a better move would be to have a 4" iPhone 6 Mini, priced as a replacement for the iPhone 5C and a 4.7" iPhone 6, priced as a replacement for the iPhone 5S.

As shown from the iPod Nano and iPad Mini, people are willing to spend less for smaller products, so long as they're still high quality. They aren't willing to compromise on the quality of the product for less money, as shown by the 5C.

They aren't compromising on quality by going with a 5c. The 5c is outselling every other phone on the market other then the 5s.

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal
I think we're beginning to see the era where Apple is no longer an innovator, but a mere competitor...

What? Like they were from 98 to 01, 01 to 07, 07 to 10, 10 to 14?

One thing is certain: If some meaningful innovation takes place, it will be because of Apple. That could be today, or in 2020. You can't count on Microsoft, Google, Samsung and the useless pawns to innovate.

JayCee842

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2013
Apple has almost $200 Billion Dollars in its bank account. Its time to use some of that money and release some new products (New Industry's). Waiting Year after Year for something new is frustrating. Im tired of the same old New iPhone 27. Where is the 4K TV? the iWatch? how about a video game console, Game Industry makes a lot of money.

Sorry, I forgot to mention to their focus on "customer's current needs" because you're right. It's time to look towards the future. Apple can't afford to be static.

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal
It has been for several years now.

You have to wonder why a company with such gigantic fortunes and staff can't revise every device every year to jump ahead of the market instead of catching up to it. Their iPads and iPhones get attention while most other products languish in corporate disinterest.

You realize that Apple never sold as many Macs, or Music, or Software. Right? The only product going down is the iPod.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I'm probably in the minority, but I hope they still make 4" versions in the future. There's still a large group of people who would prefer easy one handed operation.

JayCee842

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2013

Unfortunately, that seems to be the case. If come September all we see is a bigger iPhone, then I guess one can conclude Apple has lost its innovative art.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
What Apple Needs is New Innovative Products. The iPhone this June will be almost 8 Years old. The iPhone Gravy Train is almost over. Its time to invent some new products. Just like the iPod had its run, The iPhone run is coming to a close soon.

The phone that came out in 2007 will be 8 years old in 2014. The math isn't that complex.

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
It's good to see Apple recognize internally forces working against them, however slow they have been to rectify that while milking incremental changes.
Outside the US consumers are not as willing/able to pay Apple's premium prices or have multiple devices to enjoy cellular services and large screens. And now inside the US, the market share Apple has enjoyed due to economics of contracts and subsidized devices is endangered by the carriers finally giving better options on non-subsidized rate plans (thanks Tmobile!!) and now saturation.

Darrensk8

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
I used HTC 8X for a year and even 4.3" was painful to use for me, despite the fact that I have large hands. I'm really happy with the size of the display my 5S has really.

Unfortunately it is quite obvious that Apple will take the same route :/

I just don't see what's 'unfortunate' with apple offering a choice in screen size?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
What Apple Needs is New Innovative Products. The iPhone this June will be almost 8 Years old. The iPhone Gravy Train is almost over. Its time to invent some new products. Just like the iPod had its run, The iPhone run is coming to a close soon.

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. The iPod's run ended because the iPhone (and other smartphones) replaced it. Nothing is going to replace your smartphone any time soon.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
I used HTC 8X for a year and even 4.3" was painful to use for me, despite the fact that I have large hands. I'm really happy with the size of the display my 5S has really.

Unfortunately it is quite obvious that Apple will take the same route :/

You might not have large hands then if 4.3 inch was "painful".

I consider myself to have large hands and the area I've highlighted on my Note 3 indicates the parts I can reach with one hand. And this is a 5.7 inch screen. That top curve is where my thumb can stretch to.

Attachments

• Samsung-Galaxy-Note-3-G02.jpg
    Samsung-Galaxy-Note-3-G02.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 98

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal
Unfortunately, that seems to be the case. If come September all we see is a bigger iPhone, then I guess one can conclude Apple has lost its innovative art.

So who is innovating? Why is Apple somehow "forced" to innovate when they are making 13 billion $ (net profit) each quarter, and Microsoft loses relevance, Google makes nothing new, and almost every OEM is closing the front door?

This is a business. Apple is thriving, OEMs are dying. Clearly someone is right.

You do not have the knowledge or common sense to state that Apple lost it's innovative art. Instead of beating dead horses, why not buying some Windows machine or an Android device to support those innovators like Dell, HP, Samsung, Nokia, HTC., etc.?

JayCee842

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2013
When did people ever call Apple an innovator? :confused:

Where have you been the past decades? I've been following Apple just recently (when I was in high school in 2010-2011) and I'm aware they've been seen as the top innovative company since they began.

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
Personally I think being able to use the phone with one hand (comfortably) is more important than having a bigger screen. But that's just me....

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area

The iPhone itself (and its competitors) killed the iPod. The iPhone (and its competitors) isn't going anywhere absent something new to kill them off.

Tanegashima

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
Portugal

Yeah, Apple should dispense the ATV, iTunes iPhone, iPod, iPad and the Mac (30yrs), because they are old now, and continue selling leather cases for iPhone.

Thanks Obama.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.