Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
The only machine I own that runs OS 9 is my clamshell iBook G3, because Panther was just too slow and buggy on it. I grew up using System 6, 7 and OS 8, and Classic MacOS never did overhaul the basic functionality between the versions so OS 9 is, well much of the same. :p

I wouldn't mind using OS 9 today, honestly if it were more supported. There's certain things it does differently or even better than OS X that appeal to me, but the biggest problem these days is just finding software for it.

G4fanboy

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2013
Andalucia Spain
I wouldn't mind using OS 9 today, honestly if it were more supported. There's certain things it does differently or even better than OS X that appeal to me, but the biggest problem these days is just finding software for it.
Unlimited software
There are somethings that need to go OSX to "convert" to use in OS9.
But still is useful for SOME tasks.
Unlimited suporters
I love MacOS9.2.2 and OSX from panther to snow, but most of my powermacs are quicker on OS9

Finally MacOS9 outlived Steve Jobs and is used till the last PowerMac boots.

Last edited:

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Is there a guide to install os9 on my PowerBook 1.67? Sheepshaver doesn't seem to run good. I created another partition to install Tiger to get classic support since it was dropped in leopard. I remember there being a install os9 drivers somewhere but I don't remember seeing when I installed it from retail version tiger DVD. Maybe I'll reinstall so see if I missed it somewhere.

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
Is there a guide to install os9 on my PowerBook 1.67? Sheepshaver doesn't seem to run good. I created another partition to install Tiger to get classic support since it was dropped in leopard. I remember there being a install os9 drivers somewhere but I don't remember seeing when I installed it from retail version tiger DVD. Maybe I'll reinstall so see if I missed it somewhere.

OS 9 cannot be installed on any G4 laptop later than 2003. The last PowerBook able to boot OS 9 natively was the 1 GHz Ti PowerBook G4. OS 9 cannot boot into any iBook G4, either. Just iBook G3s and early Ti PBs. It can be booted on most PM G4s, though.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
OS 9 cannot be installed on any G4 laptop later than 2003. The last PowerBook able to boot OS 9 natively was the 1 GHz Ti PowerBook G4. OS 9 cannot boot into any iBook G4, either. Just iBook G3s and early Ti PBs. It can be booted on most PM G4s, though.

I'm not looking to boot from os9, just run it in classic on 10.4.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Unlimited software
There are somethings that need to go OSX to "convert" to use in OS9.
But still is useful for SOME tasks.
Unlimited suporters
I love MacOS9.2.2 and OSX from panther to snow, but most of my powermacs are quicker on OS9

Finally MacOS9 outlived Steve Jobs and is used till the last PowerMac boots.
OS 9 still has some support (Classilla is wonderful!), but the number of users only declines over time, and the same is true of software availability; It's a real letdown when you know exactly which program you're looking for, but the only way you'll ever get it is if by some off chance it shows up on eBay or at a thrift store.

ratsg

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2010
I will consider giving up OS 9 as soon as Adobe has a decent port of FrameMaker on OS X.

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
Coming from an Amiga "background" I won't even call No9 an OS :p
(mind you same could be said bout DOS/Win1-3.x and to some extent even Win95/98).

Really sophisticated program launcher and developer-library, but thats pretty much all.

says the guy who's only experience with pre-X Mac was the Shapeshifter install he found on some 2nd hand 68060 A4000 and was kinda reminded of his brothers old AtariST *yuk*

Last edited:

benvw99

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2014
Selby, SD
I got rid of os 9 on my G3 earlier this summer. I installed tiger on it.

I just wanted a newer safari that could open more pages than the old ie for Mac.

I did that only because I gave it to my technology-impaired grandma as an easy computer to use and send emails with.

bse5150

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2014
says the guy who's only experience with pre-X Mac was the Shapeshifter install he found on some 2nd hand 68060 A4000 and was kinda reminded of his brothers old AtariST *yuk*

I had a 520ST before I got my Mac Classic II.

The Atari ST was fairly popular in Germany, or so I read in the old Atari ST magazines of the time.

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
I - until recently - ran a business on a beige G3!

I have now joined the 21st century by running it on a MDD 1.25 G4 (dual boot) .. the business side is still running OS 9 (filemaker for a database ...Word 5 (c1993) for producing letters ... Quark for drafts of publicity material etc) … GraphicConverter for simple image editing ... it's coupled to an Apple one Scanner and still does some printing from a LaserWriter (all built like tanks and all 150% reliable).

I use the OSX side of the MDD mainly for email etc and use a Macbook Pro at home for video/internet/entertainment but there isn't anything 'business-y' that the old G3 didn't do just as well.

The Beige G3 is my favorite Mac of all time :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.