Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacGeekAZ

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2011
I have a three-year-old iPhone 4 (Verizon). For the past year or so, I have had trouble with the home button not responding. In the past few months, the problem is getting much worse. It used to be occasional; now it is frequent. I have to hit the button 4-5 times on average to get it to respond. I took it to the Apple store, and the genius told me it was actually the display that is malfunctioning, and the only recourse I have is to buy a refurbished phone from them. Since I'm holding out until fall to probably purchase one of the new phones (or a 5C if for some reason I don't like the newest model), I declined.

Is the genius correct about it really being the display that is not responding, as opposed to the button? Has anyone found any way to really solve this issue, or is it true that I need a whole new display (and thus, a new phone)?

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
It is most likely just the flex cable. I had a CDMA VZW iPhone 4 myself that was intermittent at best when it came to the home button. The button and display are completely separate parts so I have no idea where they were pulling that from.

I replaced the cable myself, took a few hours, but I got it done and saved a lot of money. I got the cable from iPhone4Parts for $3 shipped. There's also one for $4 that includes the button along with it if you want.

I used iFixit's guide to replace it step by step. If you feel comfortable, and have the tools, I'd say go for it. Or if you have a friend or someone you know that works on electronics then maybe check that out. Otherwise replacements can be on the expensive side.

An alternative is to use Assistive Touch if you aren't already.

MacGeekAZ

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2011
Thanks for the info. My husband and son are both handy with electronics; I'll pass this along to them and see if they're willing to give it a try.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.