Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rendyr

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2010
If this is the SAMSUNG presentation, this is the worst kind of presentation. Small text, no design at all, absurd amount of text. Do the SAMSUNG internal don't know how to use good practice when presentation?

Clearly Apple presentation style really present something, use of icons, graph for data, only important stuff in the presentation.

Although it is possible that is a notes given to the member, from what my experience, this is the presentation and no notes are given.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
As soon as Apple releases a 64 bit phone, Samsung releases a... oops need help from Google with that one and Android ain't advanced enough yet!

I wonder if Samsung's decisions are based on what's known from the chip manufacturing they're doing for Apple, or whether there's some sort of non-disclosure agreement between the different divisions of Samsung. Being a manufacturing partner means they could theoretically always be one step ahead of Apple in the marketplace (though so far it hasn't turned out that way).

2bikes

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
So Samsung were providing evidence of Apple's internal documents which showed they were worried about their competition, when in fact Samsung has been worrying about Apple. :confused:

How does all of this relate to the patents? Did Samsung infringe or not?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
What does this mean? Give kickbacks to carriers to promote Samsung over Apple?

"understand why customers buy Apple," and then "develop countermeasures by carrier/retail."

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
How about being the best you are? Focus on great products and great customer experience, don't worry about the competition.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Totally makes sense. Samsung focusing on the lower end of the market where apple does not play makes it easy pickings. And with some focus on the higher end they are hoping for stickiness as people upgrade. Seems like a reasonable approach that has worked. Clearly in most of the world the competition is between apple and samsung. From what I have seen apple is the winner in the above $400 (some reports show above $300) and Samsung is the winner below that.

For apple the questions is can they build a competitive product at the lower price point (the 5c is an attempt at getting there) that still holds true to apple principle. For Samsung, the question is can they build a compelling product that can de thrown apple. So far other than on size, they have had trouble providing something compelling.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Given how these internal memos are being thrown around in court, it looks like there are moles in both camps.

It's called discovery and completely legal. Put down the tin foil ;)

So Samsung were providing evidence of Apple's internal documents which showed they were worried about their competition, when in fact Samsung has been worrying about Apple. :confused:

This should be no surprise to anyone. All companies pay attention to their competitors - no matter how big or small.

That's true of Samsung, Apple, Ford, Pepsi, McDonalds, ATT, etc

Are people REALLY surprised by these documents?!

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
How does all of this relate to the patents? Did Samsung infringe or not?

It doesn't. It's all a diversion. Why the judge is allowing it I don't get. Although I would imagine Apple's legal team would argue Samsung's obsession with "beating Apple" caused them to infringe on certain patents.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Marketing and litigation is one strategy.

Features and benefits is another. Probably the better one.

Pricing is a factor of course, but the experience with 5S vs. 5C shows there is an unexpected affinity for the top model. Demand elasticity due to price is low. At least with Apple.

Rocketman

imaginex20

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Given how these internal memos are being thrown around in court, it looks like there are moles in both camps.

Moles? Big corporations have to meet compliance rules for this reason. You think when you send an email and delete it, it actually gets deleted? No moles here, it's called compliance

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
What does this mean? Give kickbacks to carriers to promote Samsung over Apple?

"understand why customers buy Apple," and then "develop countermeasures by carrier/retail."

First - I am sure you're "pleased" that MR gave this document fair time. right? ;)

Second - Samsung isn't alone in using carrier incentives. There are two models it appears.

Apple - "forces" a large contract with a guarantee on # of phones purchases.
Other OEM - provide incentives in way of higher commissions, etc.

Personally - I wouldn't like to be a carrier store manager. Think about it. On one hand - you and your staff can make a lot of money by selling Android and employees are happy. On the flip side, your bottom line is being dictated by the carrier who stands to lose a lot of revenue if they don't make good by selling the contracted Apple products.

Last edited:

rye9

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
This explains why as soon as Apple releases Siri, Samsung attempts a Siri clone. As soon as Apple releases a fingerprint sensor, Samsung attempts to release a fingerprint sensor. As soon as Apple releases a gold phone, Samsung releases a gold phone. As soon as Apple releases a 64 bit phone, Samsung releases a... oops need help from Google with that one and Android ain't advanced enough yet!

You are aware of the very recent Macrumors article that Apple is aware of customer wants for larger phones and thus plan on releasing them, right? All companies fall behind in some aspects and then play catch up based on competitors. Sure, apple beat samsung in the areas you listed, but Apple isn't perfect. I know you didn't say that, but it seems an unfair statement to say what you said without mentioning that Apple is "copying" competitors themselves by releasing larger screen phones

dragje

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Sick burn!

Samsung seriously needs to go away.

Nope, they seriously should stay. And so they will, of course. Samsung = good for the competition and especially, most important, for the consumer. The more companies offer hi-end smartphones the more cheaper they will become and the more people, especially those who have to deal with a lower income, can actually step into the market of online marketing which includes: well, marketing, gaming, etc.

To put it simple, the more competition the better for the entire industry, and the entire industry doesn't involve just Apple, and that my friend, that is a good thing. :apple:

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
You are aware of the very recent Macrumors article that Apple is aware of customer wants for larger phones and thus plan on releasing them, right?

I don't think that's what it said, we don't know if they plan on releasing a larger screen phone or not. They likely did market research for the ePC fad as well, but never actually followed that.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Funny how they both acknowledge each other as a serious threat and want to take each other down.

There's a big difference though. Apple sees Samsung as a threat because they continue to copy Apple which takes their customers. Samsung sees Apple as a threat because Apple makes such great products and Samsung can't innovate a damn thing to top them.....so they copy them. ;)

Aug 26, 2008
This explains why as soon as Apple releases Siri, Samsung attempts a Siri clone. As soon as Apple releases a fingerprint sensor, Samsung attempts to release a fingerprint sensor. As soon as Apple releases a gold phone, Samsung releases a gold phone. As soon as Apple releases a 64 bit phone, Samsung releases a... oops need help from Google with that one and Android ain't advanced enough yet!

Uhhhh.... no idea what you're talking about.

http://www.slashgear.com/android-64-bit-support-already-baked-in-just-add-hardware-17298038/

Android is an "advanced" OS, whatever you think that means.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
At best their current strategy would be to equal Apple because all they do is copy everything they see coming out of Cupertino. Because they were unsuccessful in doing a good job copying, they still remain far behind Apple.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
It's called discovery and completely legal. Put down the tin foil ;)

This should be no surprise to anyone. All companies pay attention to their competitors - no matter how big or small.

That's true of Samsung, Apple, Ford, Pepsi, McDonalds, ATT, etc

Are people REALLY surprised by these documents?!

Well I certainly hope Apple's goal isn't to beat company X, but rather make the best products they can, which as a result would hopefully best the competition. Paying attention to competition different than having "beat company x" as your top priority.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
If this is the SAMSUNG presentation, this is the worst kind of presentation. Small text, no design at all, absurd amount of text. Do the SAMSUNG internal don't know how to use good practice when presentation?

Clearly Apple presentation style really present something, use of icons, graph for data, only important stuff in the presentation.

Although it is possible that is a notes given to the member, from what my experience, this is the presentation and no notes are given.

It really doesn't matter as long as the information gets to the BOD's and company staff.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
That have been Samsung's 1st priority since at least 2007!

Maybe if keep saying it, it will come true eventually..

But i do hope Samsung beats Apple.... They do need some stuffing knocked out of them...

Having said that, i'm only talking from my own experience previously. however, as a company. someone that keeps saying "their No.1 in support" et they never hold those up at all, then someone else may tech them a lesson.

I only hope Samsung is serious this time.. All of this is my own personal experience.

A company shouldn't have to be constantly bragging about how good they are to actually be good. To me, that just says, they think too high of themselves.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.