Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedPearbook

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2013
I'm thinking of purchasing a Macbook 2010 in good condition of course :) . I'm thinking of upgrading it to 8gb and keep the 250 HDD, also putting Mavericks on it. I usually go on the web most of the time like youtube and write papers, and was wondering if this is a good laptop for high school? The only heavy thing I'll do on it is maybe gimp and WoW.
Also, should I purchase this 2010 macbook, 2008 Macbook air, or Aluminum Macbook 2008 w/ the same specs?
It's my first mac ever since my iBook g4 broke, and I hated that slow thing.

Thank you very much! :p

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
That would be a great laptop for what you described. If you can swing the cash, the 2010 would be better obviously.

Make sure to grab yourself a cheap external USB drive for Time Machine backups also.

RedPearbook

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2013
How much Gbs should it be? Are there anyother tips for first time mac users? I tried to change the OSX version in terminal for looks on ibook, and then it broke. I'm not gunna do that this time. :D

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
How much Gbs should it be? Are there anyother tips for first time mac users? I tried to change the OSX version in terminal for looks on ibook, and then it broke. I'm not gunna do that this time. :D

A 500GB drive like this would be plenty for you. When you get the drive use Disk Utility to erase the whole drive to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format then just turn on Time Machine backup and point it to the new disk.

http://www.apple.com/support/macbasics/pctomac/

There is some good info at this Apple web page for switching from a PC and just how to use your Mac in general.

Be really careful about running Terminal commands... like you said, it can really muck up the works. :)

RedPearbook

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2013
Ok! I was wondering if I should get a case and silicone screen protector for my mac....my laptops break all the time but I don't know about how a mac is built. It's my actual first mac and I'm pretty excited to switch from my dusty old Dell d630 to a beautiful unibody macbook! :p and I was wondering how it is in daily use. My main concern is that apple will stop giving it updates and make it completely useless like iOS 7 on iPhone 4. :confused:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Ok! I was wondering if I should get a case and silicone screen protector for my mac....my laptops break all the time but I don't know about how a mac is built. It's my actual first mac and I'm pretty excited to switch from my dusty old Dell d630 to a beautiful unibody macbook! :p and I was wondering how it is in daily use. My main concern is that apple will stop giving it updates and make it completely useless like iOS 7 on iPhone 4. :confused:

That aluminum case is pretty rugged. They do scuff a little but that won't hurt it. I don't really think a case is necessary.

No way of knowing for sure, but I think you will be okay with OS updates for a while. Mavericks still runs on Macs three years older than yours.

rendyr

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2010
I suggest you to upgrade to SSD if you have any budget to do so. You will be blown by the performance.

If you need a case, buy a hard case, it is quite expensive (for me) and make it a little bit thicker and heavier. I don't think you really need it, just use the machine as usual. I bought that case and use it for few years, it is definitely not worth it to keep it in shape as you might not sell it another person again (use it dies).

BTW, thanks Weaselboy. I might need a time machine drive to keep my data backed up. I have two drives in my mac, will the time machine backup both of the drive or just the main drive? I never use automatic backup solution, usually just burn to DVD or copy manually the folders.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.