Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:25 AM   #51
phillipduran
macrumors 6502a

Samsung should focus on being their own best. Don't let another company set your standards and then try to 1 up them. Compete against yourself, not others.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:26 AM   #52
dannyyankou
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDJP View Post
Not sure why they didn't have on their list to Copy Apple. It's been a huge part of their business practice.
"Copying" is synonymous with "beating" for Samsung.
dannyyankou is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:28 AM   #53
johndoe123abc
macrumors member

In what world is "The Next Big Thing" edgy?
johndoe123abc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:30 AM   #54
uknowimright
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipduran View Post
Samsung should focus on being their own best. Don't let another company set your standards and then try to 1 up them. Compete against yourself, not others.
lol, what?
uknowimright is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:30 AM   #55
HenryDJP
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcow View Post
Competition needs to go away? That'll be great for the industry.
You have the wrong idea of what competition is. Samsung is not "competition" in the sense.

A competitor creates a great product that puts them far ahead forcing everyone else to try and make something better. Samsung copies Apple. Other than a bigger screened phone there really isn't anything major Samsung has done or is innovative that separates them from the rest.
HenryDJP is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:30 AM   #56
JarScott
macrumors 65816

You mean 'beat' Apple by shamefully and badly copying every product they produce? Yeah, sounds like a great plan!
JarScott is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:31 AM   #57
AppleP59
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amacfa View Post
Sick burn!

Samsung seriously needs to go away.
They should strive to be the best they can be, and give their customers what they want/need from a device. Simply aiming to beat someone else isn't the best goal to have.
AppleP59 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:31 AM   #58
JarScott
macrumors 65816

Quote:
You have the wrong idea of what competition is. Samsung is not "competition" in the sense.

A competitor creates a great product that puts them far ahead forcing everyone else to try and make something better. Samsung copies Apple. Other than a bigger screened phone there really isn't anything major Samsung has done or is innovative that separates them from the rest.
Amen. They rely on other people innovating for them and then, believing that's what people want, create low quality imitations of them at a cheaper price.
JarScott is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:31 AM   #59
Popeye206
macrumors 68030

I wonder how long this strategy will last before Samsung has to trim back the marketing budget to get revenue back?

The way I see it is Samsung's marketing did hurt Apple, but it really hurt the other Android makers as they quickly took over the lion share of Android based phone sales. Now, all the Android makers are after Samsung and Apple will soon release a phone that makes the "bigger screen" advantage a thing of the past. At that point, Samsung will have to stand out based on reputation, service and quality. As well as differentiate themselves from the other Android makers who have some nice alternatives already.

It will be interesting to see where we're at in a couple years.
Popeye206 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:35 AM   #60
PsychoLogicXen
macrumors member

Samsung v. Apple, part II. The Next Big Thing is here.
PsychoLogicXen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:36 AM   #61
lilo777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagemac View Post
Apple is already beating Samsung. They make far more money in Smartphones than Samsung does. And Samsung had been making phones for decades. Apple, a computer company, came in Samsung's market brand new and promptly stole a significant share of the market and more importantly the overwhelming majority of all the profit.

How Samsung allowed Apple to come into their market and do this to them when they had been making phones for decades is a mystery to me.
Stop with this propaganda. Everybody knows that Samsung now makes more profits than Apple. They might be making a little less profits than Apple in mobile in general but I believe in their profits in smartphones are actually higher than that of Apple (they are still behind in tablets). And even if Apple did make more profits so what? Samsung is a different animal. They reinvest a lot more than Apple. Their capital expenditures are order of magnitude higher, their R&D budget is way higher. They make sure they succeed not just today but also in the future.
lilo777 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:36 AM   #62
username:
macrumors regular

Customers ask for Apple products because of their superior quality. Come on Samsung it's not that complicated.

I've just seen a Samsung ad on the front page of Macrumours... is this normal?? I haven't seen one on here before.
username: is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:36 AM   #63
jrswizzle
macrumors 603

Samsung has proved you don't have to make the best product out there to win market share....just make everyone THINKS its the best and flood the market with different varieties.

Honestly, it'd likely be better for the Android world if Samsung took a step back. There are numerous OEMs out there who make great devices that are being squeezed by Samsung. At this point, Samsung products are bought because of the name - they've essentially become Apple, though I think Apple makes a better product overall.

Still baffling why Samsung devices are so popular....I get the Note-series, but that isn't really a huge seller.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:37 AM   #64
bbeagle
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bikes View Post
How does all of this relate to the patents? Did Samsung infringe or not?
Yes, Samsung did infringe. We need to see if the courts agree.
bbeagle is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:38 AM   #65
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeySee.... View Post
80% carrier focus and 20% Samsung focus??

Christ. They really are about the numbers aren't they.
One think I like about iPhone is I can treat my carrier like I do my ISP - a dumb pipe.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:38 AM   #66
crackbookpro
macrumors 65816

Deeeeeeebags
crackbookpro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:40 AM   #67
bbeagle
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrswizzle View Post
Samsung has proved you don't have to make the best product out there to win market share....just make everyone THINK its the best.
This has always been the case for every product category.

People buy the things they think are the best quality that they can afford. How do they make up their mind about quality? It's usually influenced by advertising. Sometimes friends or outside sources, but mostly advertising.
bbeagle is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:41 AM   #68
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrswizzle View Post
Samsung has proved you don't have to make the best product out there to win market share....just make everyone THINKS its the best and flood the market with different varieties.

Honestly, it'd likely be better for the Android world if Samsung took a step back. There are numerous OEMs out there who make great devices that are being squeezed by Samsung. At this point, Samsung products are bought because of the name - they've essentially become Apple, though I think Apple makes a better product overall.

Still baffling why Samsung devices are so popular....I get the Note-series, but that isn't really a huge seller.
That needed to be proven? To who. That's one of the key principals of marketing - no matter what your product is.

I think there are better products out there. But if you're choosing an android device based on camera quality - unless the m8 truly delivers - one of the best, if not, is Samsung in that arena.
samcraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:41 AM   #69
lilo777
Banned

Quote:

And I thought that people were buying Samsung phones because they were better than iPhone. Did not Samsung phones had LTE a year sooner than iPhone? Or WiFi AC? Or the best display (3x resolution of iPhone, wider color gamut and more accurate color reproduction)? Or pressure sensitive pen? How about the ability to run multiple apps on the screen simultaneously? 3x RAM? Galkaxy S5 has the first ISOCELL camera sensor in the World (not just among the cell phones)
lilo777 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:42 AM   #70
brianvictor7
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Not sure why they didn't have on their list to Copy Apple. It's been a huge part of their business practice.
That would be because stating it would be redundant.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:45 AM   #71
QCassidy352
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeafg View Post
So Samsung were providing evidence of Apple's internal documents which showed they were worried about their competition, when in fact Samsung has been worrying about Apple.
Is it really a surprise to anyone that these two were worried about each other?
QCassidy352 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:45 AM   #72
TTile
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilo777 View Post
Stop with this propaganda. Everybody knows that Samsung now makes more profits than Apple. They might be making a little less profits than Apple in mobile in general but I believe in their profits in smartphones are actually higher than that of Apple (they are still behind in tablets). And even if Apple did make more profits so what? Samsung is a different animal. They reinvest a lot more than Apple. Their capital expenditures are order of magnitude higher, their R&D budget is way higher. They make sure they succeed not just today but also in the future.
Huh? Samsung's profit last quarter was 6.7 billion. Apple's was 13.1 billion.

You're right, Samsung is a different animal. They produce a far greater range of products (TVs, refrigerators, washing machines, etc) and therefore demand a far higher R&D budget versus Apple that has an extremely slim product portfolio.
TTile is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:46 AM   #73
Rocketman
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Paying attention to competition different than having "beat company x" as your top priority.
Rearward looking strategies are common if not dominant in the consumer products industry.

Apple is not only forward looking, but tends to game change, leap frog, or otherwise cause a paradigm shift. Totally different perspective in life and business.

Hence the aggressive protection of its IP in courts. The courts seem toothless to do anything other than deliver money damages (a decade later) in the jurisdictions where outright IP copying is discouraged. There seems to be essentially no traction or time sensitivity to ban infringing products.

This is the environment Samsung operates in.

Rocketman
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:48 AM   #74
jrswizzle
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
That needed to be proven? To who. That's one of the key principals of marketing - no matter what your product is.

I think there are better products out there. But if you're choosing an android device based on camera quality - unless the m8 truly delivers - one of the best, if not, is Samsung in that arena.
I was speaking to those who talk about making the best product possible being the main focus.

But the reality is - Samsung still hasn't surpassed Apple. The iPhone line still outsells the Galaxy line. Samsung, by nature of its enormous array of various smartphone offerings, sells more OVERALL. But that's really to be expected.

Someone put it perfectly in a different thread - two sandwich shops, Tim's and Shin's.

Tim sells three sandwiches - in a week he'll sell 100 sandwiches with 60 being his newest boar's head ham and swiss, 30 being the tried and true turkey and cheddar and 10 being a PB&J he no longer cares to market or make.

Shin on the other hand sells 200 sandwiches a week, but he sells everything from roast beef and provolone to pb&j with the crusts cut off. He doesn't sell more than 20 of any individual sandwich per week.

Two different business models. We can argue about the merits of each all day, but in the end Samsung isn't doing anything "special" for consumers. The idea that Samsung is "good for competition" is ludicrous. Samsung has KILLED Android competition.....they dominate the space while the others are left to hang on.

It always makes me laugh when people complain about Apple's marketing strategies.....usually they're Android users and the percentages would say that most likely own Samsung devices. You want to talk about being beaten over the head with marketing strategies?.....look no further than Samsung.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:49 AM   #75
newagemac
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilo777 View Post
Everyone who visits MacRumors forums knows that lilo777 is one the resident Apple hater among others. No one believes a single thing you say because we all know your motives. And everyone knows that Apple makes more smartphone profit than Samsung or any other phone manufacturer.

It must really bother you that Apple, a computer company, was able to come into Samsung's market and steal a significant amount of share, huge developer following that Samsung still can't get, and again most importantly the majority of the profits. Samsung had been making phones for decades. What's wrong with Samsung and the rest of the phone makers? Why are they letting Apple dominate them like this? Apple just basically came in their market and stole their cookies. lol. Eats you up inside, huh?
newagemac is offline   9 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion