Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In the coming months, former Burberry CEO Angela Ahrendts will assume her new position as the senior vice president in charge of Apple's retail and online sales efforts. Before she leaves the fashion world for technology, Ahrendts will be made an honorary Dame of the British Empire for her work at Burberry, reports The Daily Mail.

angela_ahrendts_bw.jpg
Because she is American, Ahrendts won't receive the honor from the Queen at Buckingham Palace, and she won't be allowed to use the title Dame, only the initials DBE (Dame of the British Empire) at the end of her name. She will be honored at a small ceremony to be held today at the Department of Business, Innovation and Skills in Westminister with the UK's business secretary Vince Cable as the Master of Ceremonies.
Mr Cable will pay tribute to the mother of three, from Indiana, describing her as a 'landmark figure in business' and a 'powerful role model to the next generation of young British talent.'

He will say: 'She has revitalised this iconic British brand with flair and cutting edge innovation, allied with sound commercial acumen.'
Ahrendts is not the only Apple executive to receive the honorable title from the British government. Apple's Jony Ive received his knighthood in 2011 and described the honor as "absolutely thrilling." Steve Jobs also was set to be awarded honorary knighthood, but his nomination was reportedly blocked for political reasons by Gordon Brown, who was Prime Minister at the time.

Article Link: Apple's Angela Ahrendts Recognized as Honorary Dame For Work at Burberry

captain cadet

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012
Looks like Apple likes British sirs and dames as Jonny Ive is a Sir! - how many do Samsung have again?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So Apple has a Knight and now a Dame. :cool:

Btw, when does she start?

dauby88

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
I love this hire and I can't wait to see what she does for Apple retail. She seems like she can bring the "Think Different" back to Apple Retail that was starting to fade with the short-lived Browett days.

ccraig13

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2011
PA
All I got from this was that she won't be allowed to use a title that no one cares about

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
If she was the one largely responsible for turning the burberry brand round then she is a bloody miracle worker! They were a laughing stock until recently.

Shame she didn't turn the title down however.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I really don't know if I've ever agreed with business people or famous people getting knighthoods and honoraries etc for just doing their jobs. I don't get one for mine.

More charity workers etc should get them, not multi millionaire business people who have never done anything to deserve it!

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
That's quite literally Chav-Tastic, there! Make a naff looking cap with yer tweedy, tartan, plaid stuff yeah? Copied by the car boot sellers, yeah? Look a bit like a boy racer in a Lidl car park, yeah? Symbol of tastelessness, yeah? Yeah. Looks like it an' all. Still. Best of luck to you, yeah? It's your life innit? I couldn't do it! See y'around, yeah?

Last edited:

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I really don't know if I've ever agreed with business people or famous people getting knighthoods and honoraries etc for just doing their jobs. I don't get one for mine.

More charity workers etc should get them, not multi millionaire business people.

I do agree that there are people less famous who should deserve recognition (and certainly better pay!) However, like it or lump it, you have to admit that famous people are in the limelight much more often, and therefore have the opportunity to make a big difference with either their actions or their words.

Okay -- it seems a knighthood is given to every other bucktoothed, Brandy-quaffing Brit who knows somebody famous. However I must admit that I was really pleased when Jony Ive got one.

----------

That's quite literally Chav-Tastic, there! Make a naff looking cap with yer tweedy, tartan, plaid stuff yeah? Copied by the car boot sellers, yeah? Look a bit like a boy racer in a Lidl car park, yeah? Symbol of tastelessness, yeah? Yeah. Sounds like it an' all. Still. Best of luck to you, yeah? It's your life innit? I couldn't do it! See y'around, yeah?

Ummm ... what?

kennyt72

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2011
Chelsea, London, England
I never knew that about Gordon Brown blocking an honorary knighthood for Steve Jobs, I never liked Brown before, I like him even less now the useless good for nothing jumped up little ******.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.