Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I find it interesting that Phil thought the Samsung ad(s) were good and stated to the agency that they needed something like it for the iPhone. And by something like it - I'm just referring to needed a better brief for the iPhone.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
While he's not wrong with his Message.

everytime I read anything from Schiller, I cannot get by how absolutely crazy the reality distortion field is around him...

... The worlds most succesful tech company making the world's best products having created the smartphone and tablet form factors...Not the company that everyone wants to copy and compete with

and people here wonder why some of us laugh and mock when people say **** like this.

I love Apple products, but holy crap, people actually do believe this...

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Apple really should let them go. The "Your Verse" series is awful.

What specifically is so awful about it? Stories about how REAL people utilize the iPad in their REAL lives is awful compared to actors complaining about pixel counts in fake life?

Would love to hear your thoughts....

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Am I the only one who finds it really odd the someone from a top-tier ad agency talking to a top-tier client never uses capital letters not even for the client's name?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I wonder what Apple would have done if Steve was around. I'm sure they would release new and updated products over the course of the year and not all at once, and the keynotes wouldn't be dry and boring, but other than that would there be anything major?

Um, go back and watch some of Steve's keynotes that weren't iPod/iPhone/iPad intro. Plenty of them were boring. Thing is, people only remember the big ones like Macworld 2007.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
I can see why he was pissed about 1997, they were a dead company then while in 2013 they were the strongest company around. What a horrible comparison.

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
I would have been livid. Schiller handled this far better than I could have. I would have fired them on the spot. What kind of delusional moron would respond to their biggest client like that? SMH

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
While he's not wrong with his Message.

everytime I read anything from Schiller, I cannot get by how absolutely crazy the reality distortion field is around him...

and people here wonder why some of us laugh and mock when people say **** like this.

I love Apple products, but holy crap, people actually do believe this...

Because those two industries aren't successful without Apple's push....

Did they INVENT the rounded rectangle? No....was the smartphone a successful product before Apple? No. Same with the tablet. Now look at how ubiquitous they are.

To a certain extent, he's overstating - but not nearly as much as some people try to claim. Fact of the matter is, the iPhone and iPad have dramatically changed personal and mobile computing. Despite the fact those form factors existed before Apple, they weren't successful until after Apple.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks so.

I overheard a friend if mine commenting on the ad, "I almost fell asleep."

So its boring? I'm curious - when people make comments like this "something sucks" but don't provide any opinions to back it up.....

What specifically about the campaign is awful? It's compelling, provides insight into some pretty cool ways iPads are used by REAL people.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
Um, go back and watch some of Steve's keynotes that weren't iPod/iPhone/iPad intro. Plenty of them were boring. Thing is, people only remember the big ones like Macworld 2007.

I've watched the other events that Steve Jobs did and they were great. The intel switch, tiger intro, G5, amuminum powerbook, OS X, iPod mini, Mac mini, iPod HiFi... all were great and not boring. I will say the 2001 iPod intro was boring though.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

Did they INVENT the rounded rectangle? No....was the smartphone a successful product before Apple? No. Same with the tablet. Now look at how ubiquitous they are.

To a certain extent, he's overstating - but not nearly as much as some people try to claim. Fact of the matter is, the iPhone and iPad have dramatically changed personal and mobile computing. Despite the fact those form factors existed before Apple, they weren't successful until after Apple.

Depends on degrees. I would argue that the smartphone was very popular in the business world before the iPhone. The original iPhone as released wasn't truly a smartphone. Different, fun to use, etc - sure. Did they grow the smartphone industry exponentially - yes. But to say that the smartphone wasn't successful before Apple is dis-genuine.

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks so.

I overheard a friend if mine commenting on the ad, "I almost fell asleep."

Completely agree, they do nothing to sell Apple products, they just seem congratulatory and masturbatory. Huge waste of money.

theheadguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
california
schiller2-800x295.png

Phil complementing Samsung's ad. This is enough to make MR fanboys burst into flames.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011

not claiming they weren't widely succesful or influential at making these form factors easily accessible and something that lots of people wanted.

But they didnt invent either product category. Smartphones did exist before. Tablets did exist before.

I hate schiller. Everytime I read something form him, it's full of misleading FUD like that. He could very easily have said "products that changed the markets" and i wouldn't have even questioned it. But when he claims that they invented these markets, it's purely that Reality distortion field. And sadly when people in positions of Power make comments like this, People, especially HERE will repeat it as fact, isntead of bothering to look up the facts on what was happening around Apple before and after.

I hate the argument as well that is used "it wasn't succesfull till apple did it, therefore you might as well say Apple invented it"...

No, just no. Being succesful doesn't mean you're the best, nor the first. it just means you have something that lots of people want. That is good. And good on Apple for creating many products that completely kicked several markets into fast forward. But they still did not invent either market. Both existed fully before Apple got involved.

fxapple

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2010
Illinois
It's about time someone noticed!

I've been an Apple user since the 70's and those Samsung commericals although upsetting :mad:to me were to their credit very smart. What was more upsetting than the Samsung commericals.....the lack of response from Apple.:confused: Ultimately Apple should have directed their long time ad agency to pump it up quickly. It was obivous they have failed so maybe it's time for some new blood. Phil Schiller waited to long for a serious conversation with their agency. A blind person could hear Samsung commericals were uping Apple's with creativity. Hire the agency Samsung is using; it appears they have better talent.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Depends on degrees. I would argue that the smartphone was very popular in the business world before the iPhone. The original iPhone as released wasn't truly a smartphone. Different, fun to use, etc - sure. Did they grow the smartphone industry exponentially - yes. But to say that the smartphone wasn't successful before Apple is dis-genuine.

Meh - I'm talking about successful across all consumer categories. You're right - smartphones were successful in some sectors.

Smartphones were a niche product before Apple came along. While I agree the original iPhone was far less than smartphones at the time, most people had no idea because they didn't USE smartphones. The iPhone took the smartphone concept and made it work for everyone.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Huh, the only recent Apple ad I'v liked has been the iPad Air one, where it's hidden behind a pencil, and I like the Mac Pro campaign, the majority of Apple ads I find crap personally. Especially the ones telling a story, they are pure cringe worthy.
But it's surprising on one hand Apple acknowledge people are buying cheaper and bigger handsets over the iPhone, and on the other they are blaming their advertising agency for poor sales.

They can't blame everyone else all the time because there's nothing stopping them from using another ad agency, or making a bigger iPhone.

Richardgm

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
So its boring? I'm curious - when people make comments like this "something sucks" but don't provide any opinions to back it up.....

What specifically about the campaign is awful? It's compelling, provides insight into some pretty cool ways iPads are used by REAL people.

Ads are supposed to (among other things):
1. Capture the attention of the consumer.

2. Make the consumer want to purchase the product.

When my friend said he almost fell asleep when the ad was running shows that the ad never captured his attention and worse didn't move him slightly into wanting to buy the iPad.

Therefore it's ineffective. At least where he is concerned. (And me too).

yadmonkey

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2002
Western Spiral
Samsung has done a remarkable job copying Apple products using a Google OS and using American agencies to create anti-Apple ads. When you really look at it, their level of innovation has been minimal compared to those of Apple. They were never able to design even a half-decent interface for even a TV before this. Yet now they are a market leader on the backs of everyone else's innovations.

I'm starting to resent Samsung. Not for competing - I think that's good for the overall market and has forced Apple to admit that people want larger screens (shame on Apple for denying this for so long). But the anti-Apple bent in their ads is really annoying considering that Apple busted the whole thing open. It would be like Brahms bad-mouthing Beethoven.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.