Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

karatekidk

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2008
Pacific Northwest, USA
Google "apple understanding t mobile iPhone".

First hit for me shows which iPhone 5 is fully compatible with t mobiles 1700 band. Only sure way is to look at the last 4 serial numbers according to the apple support page.

I just took a look at the page. Very helpful. Thank you (x2)!

----------

It's a little more complicated with the 5. When the iPhone 5 launched in September 2012, it did not support all of T-Mobile's frequencies. When T-Mobile started offering the iPhone in April 2013, Apple revised the 5 to support T-Mobile's frequencies. But they didn't change the model number, so you can only tell by the serial number if you have one manufactured before or after April 2013.

Just read your post. Makes sense to me. Thanks for sharing.

karatekidk

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2008
Pacific Northwest, USA
I just took a look at the page. Very helpful. Thank you (x2)!

----------

Just read your post. Makes sense to me. Thanks for sharing.

Did a bit more research, and I have to say, I am still a bit confused. The page I looked at clearly states that model #A1429 (Verizon IP5) does NOT support T-mobile's LTE bands. The page was last updated on 4/8/13, so I guess it's not the case anymore? Do I just need to check the date one was manufactured?

OH WAIT! duaneu did say Apple didn't change the model number... OK, now I think I got it.

I guess the easiest way is just get a 5s or 5c, but they are a little out of my budget, so I have been looking at used 5's.

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2014
Earth
Did a bit more research, and I have to say, I am still a bit confused. The page I looked at clearly states that model #A1429 (Verizon IP5) does NOT support T-mobile's LTE bands. The page was last updated on 4/8/13, so I guess it's not the case anymore? Do I just need to check the date one was manufactured?

OH WAIT! duaneu did say Apple didn't change the model number... OK, now I think I got it.

I guess the easiest way is just get a 5s or 5c, but they are a little out of my budget, so I have been looking at used 5's.

100% True Verizon iPhone 5 which only comes in one model #A1429 [Also sold by Sprint] Does not support T-Mobile LTE and nor was it ever modified to support T-Mobile LTE unlike the AT&T/GSM A1428 model.

If you want a iPhone 5, match the last 4 digits of the serial # and you will be just fine.

The correct thread that is most helpful to you is this one: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1572942/ <<-- have a look and make your choice :) Enjoy your new iPhone when you get it!

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Used 5c's cost around the same as used 5's on Swappa. I wanted an iPhone for use with T-Mobile's $30 5GB prepaid plan. Got a used 5c for $350. I've seen a few 5c's go for $250-300. The Verizon 5c was cheaper than the T-Mobile 5 and far more flexible since it works with Verizon and the US and has the necessary LTE bands used by carriers in the countries I travel to. Besides, there's no guarantee I'll be able to unlock the AT&T or T-Mobile version for free or at low cost.

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
A quick question I have 5s model A1457 and I am shifting to USA this summers will I be able to use LTE on any of the networks in USA? Thanks

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2014
Earth
A quick question I have 5s model A1457 and I am shifting to USA this summers will I be able to use LTE on any of the networks in USA? Thanks

It appears that the A1457 lacks LTE bands for all North American carriers/networks:

http://www.apple.com/iphone-5s/specs/

Model A1457*: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20)

AT&T / T-Mobile Require: Band 4 / 17 for LTE
T-Mobile Requires UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA 1700 band for 4G if you want good coverage.

AT&T/T-Mobile = No you won't get
T-Mobile HSPA+42Mbps Network = No
T-mobile HSPA+21Mbps Network = Yes as long as you are going to be residing in a major city.
AT&T HSPA+ network = Yes no limitations.

PS: HSPA+ refers to 4G in USA

I would say your best bet is to dump that phone in your current country and then buy a iPhone 5S here in USA or....go with AT&T and enjoy their HSPA+ network and upgrade to iPhone 6 when it comes out :)

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
It appears that the A1457 lacks LTE bands for all North American carriers/networks:

http://www.apple.com/iphone-5s/specs/

Model A1457*: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20)

AT&T / T-Mobile Require: Band 4 / 17 for LTE
T-Mobile Requires UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA 1700 band for 4G if you want good coverage.

AT&T/T-Mobile = No you won't get
T-Mobile HSPA+42Mbps Network = No
T-mobile HSPA+21Mbps Network = Yes as long as you are going to be residing in a major city.
AT&T HSPA+ network = Yes no limitations.

PS: HSPA+ refers to 4G in USA

I would say your best bet is to dump that phone in your current country and then buy a iPhone 5S here in USA or....go with AT&T and enjoy their HSPA+ network and upgrade to iPhone 6 when it comes out :)

okay thanks for the detailed response. can i just exchange my iphone in apple store and get the USA model if there is some problem with my phone? ofcourse this is coz of warranty

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2014
Earth
okay thanks for the detailed response. can i just exchange my iphone in apple store and get the USA model if there is some problem with my phone? ofcourse this is coz of warranty

no they will not allow such exchanges just because your phone doesn't support LTE bands in USA. They will give you replacement with exact same model A1457

jdlivestrong

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2011
I'm looking at getting an iPhone 5c (I have a 5s, but don't really need the features) and found one locally. It is brand new/sealed the model is A1532 and MF156. 32gb Blue. I'm trying to understand what carrier it was for or more about the model and can't seem to figure it out. He said it was purchased for him as a birthday present from an Apple Store. Can anyone tell me more about this model? I'm on AT&T's network now and want to make sure it'll function perfectly.

cnotes2019

Suspended
Aug 17, 2013
I'm looking at getting an iPhone 5c (I have a 5s, but don't really need the features) and found one locally. It is brand new/sealed the model is A1532 and MF156. 32gb Blue. I'm trying to understand what carrier it was for or more about the model and can't seem to figure it out. He said it was purchased for him as a birthday present from an Apple Store. Can anyone tell me more about this model? I'm on AT&T's network now and want to make sure it'll function perfectly.

If I'm not mistaken it's the gsm model that will work on AT&T and tmobile so you should be fine.

bdv11

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2014
Hey new member here. Forgive me if this has been discussed already, but is there an unlock method for the ATT iPhone 5c anywhere? OP's link is dead and I'm having trouble finding either a method or unlock site.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
How would an iPhone 4S (CDMA, yet global I'd imagine ) fare in comparison with the 5s' and their compatibility abroad?
As long as it's unlocked, the 4S should work with any GSM carrier. Keep in mind the 4S is HSPA+ only. An unlocked 5/5c/5s should also work with any GSM carrier. Depending on the bands used by the local carrier you plan on using, you may or may not get LTE support on the 5.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
As long as it's unlocked, the 4S should work with any GSM carrier. Keep in mind the 4S is HSPA+ only. An unlocked 5/5c/5s should also work with any GSM carrier. Depending on the bands used by the local carrier you plan on using, you may or may not get LTE support on the 5.

Thanks for the prompt response!

Jaystang

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2014
T-mobile to verizon

I have a iPhone 5s that has t mobile as the carrier. I wanted to be able to switch it to Verizon. I just called verizon and they said no can't do it. What's my next step?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I have a iPhone 5s that has t mobile as the carrier. I wanted to be able to switch it to Verizon. I just called verizon and they said no can't do it. What's my next step?

If you're switching to Verizon, you need a Verizon iPhone.

You can use a Verizon iPhone on the both AT&T and T-Mobile GSM networks, but it doesn't work the other way around.

Luba

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2009
When iPhone 6 comes out will it be all different? Or is there some tech constraint that makes a GSM phone not work on Verizon, but a Verizon phone can work on GSM?

Also, with HD Voice (AT&T) and VoLTE (Verizon), will that changes things?

I realize most of this is all speculation at this time, but perhaps there are simple tech constraints that we know now.

If you're switching to Verizon, you need a Verizon iPhone.

You can use a Verizon iPhone on the both AT&T and T-Mobile GSM networks, but it doesn't work the other way around.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
When iPhone 6 comes out will it be all different? Or is there some tech constraint that makes a GSM phone not work on Verizon, but a Verizon phone can work on GSM?

Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile iPhone 5s and 5c models are exactly the same hardware. Verizon requires that phones on their network have an ESN that is in their system(I may be using the wrong terminology here, but the basic concept is correct as I understand it). AT&T or T-Mobile phones don't have their ESNs recoded by Verizon, so they aren't allowed on their network.

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2014
Earth
Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile iPhone 5s and 5c models are exactly the same hardware. Verizon requires that phones on their network have an ESN that is in their system(I may be using the wrong terminology here, but the basic concept is correct as I understand it). AT&T or T-Mobile phones don't have their ESNs recoded by Verizon, so they aren't allowed on their network.

Almost the same...but not the same...these are two different models -- original thread explains this very clearly:
Verizon = GSM + CDMA
T-Mobile/AT&T/GSM Unlocked from Apple Store = GSM ONLY -- no way to turn on CDMA capability.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.